[comp.sys.amiga] Modula2 & keyboard

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (12/01/86)

	I am posting this message for  a friend of mine who seems to be
having trouble posting it himself...

   Im trying to write a program that uses Intuition to handle its input
event. In my Intuition manual, it explains that the Rawkey flag in the
event class, when set, will send you untranslated keycodes from the keyboard.
When you use that, you can see when they use the Amiga keys, the alt keys,
and the function keys. My question is, how do I translate this to an ascii
code? Id like to know what key they're pressing on the keyboard, and that
raw code sure isnt telling me. The manual also refers to a vanillakey
event class, but in TDI Modula-2, the language Im trying to use, there is
no mention of this in the set of IE classes. Any help with this would be
appreciated.

                          <MC>

		lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (12/06/86)

In article <7407@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (Gerard Lachac) writes:

>   Im trying to write a program that uses Intuition to handle its input
>event. In my Intuition manual, it explains that the Rawkey flag in the
>event class, when set, will send you untranslated keycodes from the keyboard.
>When you use that, you can see when they use the Amiga keys, the alt keys,
>and the function keys. My question is, how do I translate this to an ascii
>code? Id like to know what key they're pressing on the keyboard, and that
>raw code sure isnt telling me. The manual also refers to a vanillakey
>event class, but in TDI Modula-2, the language Im trying to use, there is
>no mention of this in the set of IE classes. Any help with this would be
>appreciated.

   If you're doing any serious keyboard IO I suggest attaching a
console device to your window instead of using RawKey.  The console
device will give you all normal keys in ASCII and escape sequences
for the cursor, help, function keys.  Also gives you ANSI type
cursor control, auto-scroll, insert, delete, etc....

   If you stick with RawKey, you can either translate them yourself
or get the console device to do it for you with the RawKeyConvert
function.  See the Intuition section of the Enhancer booklet
for an example that shows how to use this routine in a manner
compatible with foreign keymaps and dead-keys.

   VANILLAKEY is defined in intuition.h as 0x00200000.  If you use
this, I think you lose cursor, help, and function key messages.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) (12/09/86)

In article <1062@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) writes:

[ Description of problem using TDI Modula-2 and RawKeys. ]

> See the Intuition section of the Enhancer booklet
                                   ^^^^^^^^
> for an example that shows how to use this routine in a manner
> compatible with foreign keymaps and dead-keys.
> Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<

Did I miss something from Commodore, or is this from TDI?

James.
James M Synge @ Dept. of Atmos Sci, U of Washington (@ DEC in NH, January)
VOX: 1 206 543 0308 (W)   UUCP: uw-beaver!geops!uw-atm!james
     1 206 455 2025 (H)   ARPA: geops!uw-atm!james@beaver.cs.washington.edu

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (12/11/86)

In article <71@uw-atm.UUCP> james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) writes:
>In article <1062@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) writes:
>>
>> See the Intuition section of the Enhancer booklet
>>
>Did I miss something from Commodore, or is this from TDI?

   The 1.2 "Enhancer" package is from Commodore and is available at
dealers for about $14.95.  It contains Release 1.2 Kickstart,
WorkBench, and Extras (AmigaBasic, PC-Copy, Emacs, Font-Ed, KeyToy, etc).
Also a booklet which mostly describes new WorkBench commands and features
but also contains errata/new info for DOS, RK, and Intuition manuals.

   The Enhancer was sent to all registered developers who have purchased
a WorkBench license.  This was done because these developers have a
license to place WorkBench files on their product disks and it was
important that they have the Release version of WorkBench immediately.
Between Gamma 1 and Release WB there were slight changes to the
ram-handler (so SetDate would work on ram files) and the printer.device
(so HAM pics that modify off the left edge would print properly).

   Current plan is to send the Enhancer to the rest of the developers
when they apply for the new developer program (applications for
which are currently at the printer).  Any registered developer
who needs the Enhancer now, and can not find it at a dealer, can
send a check for $15.00 (made out to Commodore Business Machines)

   to   Kim Montgomery
        Software Tech Support
        CBM
        1200 Wilson Drive
        West Chester, PA.  19380

   This $15.00 is NOT deductible from any developer application fee.
If we give Enhancer to all applicants, you get another Enhancer.

   Dave Lucas and I are putting together Release versions of Includes,
Include.strips (good ones), X-devel Includes, Readmes and Autodocs.
When I have all of the pieces, and get them through our QA, we
will make them available as a package, probably via direct mail.

   I'll post availability date when I have one.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

wagner@utcs.UUCP (12/12/86)

The Enhancer is the marketing name for V1.2 of the operating system.

Michael

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/15/86)

In article <1103@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) writes:

>    Dave Lucas and I are putting together Release versions of Includes,
> Include.strips (good ones), X-devel Includes, Readmes and Autodocs.
> When I have all of the pieces, and get them through our QA, we
> will make them available as a package, probably via direct mail.

Thanks for the info, Carolyn!  One question is still hanging, though ...
what will be the upgrade plan on the Lattice compiler and cross-development
system that was included with the Developer's Package?  That would be an
upgrade from 3.03 to what Lattice is calling 3.10.

Thank you for your support!
/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

aburto@marlin.UUCP (Alfred A. Aburto) (12/16/86)

In article <1103@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) writes:
>>Did I miss something from Commodore, or is this from TDI?
>
>   The 1.2 "Enhancer" package is from Commodore and is available at
>dealers for about $14.95.  It contains Release 1.2 Kickstart,
>WorkBench, and Extras (AmigaBasic, PC-Copy, Emacs, Font-Ed, KeyToy, etc).
>Also a booklet which mostly describes new WorkBench commands and features
>but also contains errata/new info for DOS, RK, and Intuition manuals.

This is a very fine package of material for $15!  Unfortunately I found that
that Microsofts AmigaBasic does not work with CSA's Turbo-Amiga extended
32-bit memory boards. It can't find files or programs loaded into extended
memory ($7F000000 and above).  AmigaBasic does work OK with the Turbo-Amiga
if the normal Amiga memory is used exclusively though ($00FFFFFF and below).
Its unfortunate that MS AmigaBasic will not work properly with the Turbo-Amiga
as I think AmigaBasic is a very fine product.

>   Dave Lucas and I are putting together Release versions of Includes,
>Include.strips (good ones), X-devel Includes, Readmes and Autodocs.
>When I have all of the pieces, and get them through our QA, we
>will make them available as a package, probably via direct mail.
>
>   I'll post availability date when I have one.

You do good work!

Al Aburto

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (12/18/86)

In article <4623@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <1103@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) writes:
>>
>>    Dave Lucas and I are putting together Release versions of Includes,
>> Include.strips (good ones), X-devel Includes, Readmes and Autodocs.
>> When I have all of the pieces, and get them through our QA, we
>> will make them available as a package, probably via direct mail.
>
>Thanks for the info, Carolyn!  One question is still hanging, though ...
>what will be the upgrade plan on the Lattice compiler and cross-development
>system that was included with the Developer's Package?  That would be an
>upgrade from 3.03 to what Lattice is calling 3.10.

   I don't know what the policy will be.  We do have native 3.10 in
our QA.  I don't think we have a cross 3.10.  When it gets through
QA, some type of upgrade policy will probably be set up.  It
probably will not be a free upgrade.  I have no idea how long this
will take.  If anybody wants 3.10 NOW, I understand that Lattice
upgrades both Lattice-C and Amiga-C people for $75 if you send
them your original disk(s) and manual.  But check with them to
make sure this is correct.

carolyn

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/18/86)

kim@amdahl says:

> Thanks for the info, Carolyn!  One question is still hanging, though ...
> what will be the upgrade plan on the Lattice compiler and cross-development
> system that was included with the Developer's Package?  That would be an
> upgrade from 3.03 to what Lattice is calling 3.10.

    Lattice says they will upgrade the developers' package native C
compiler for $75.  call them for details.  i forgot to ask about the
cross-compiler.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

ntm1477@dsacg3.UUCP (02/12/87)

 Is there a 3270 terminal emulator for the amiga or can you remap
 the amiga keys and convert ASCII to EBCDIC ?