[comp.sys.amiga] Window limits in ...

kim@amdahl.UUCP (02/14/87)

In article <3459@garfield.UUCP>, john13@garfield.UUCP writes:
> .
> I've seen recent messages announcing the return of mod.amiga.sources (under
> a variety of different names). Now, there have been some recent postings
> from mod.amiga, but none reaching here in the sources/binaries newsgroups.
> I was told that any that came in destined for uncreated newsgroups would be
> funnelled to the local "junk" newsgroup; I've been monitoring it, without
> success. Has anyone received any postings from these newsgroups (or under
> other newsgroup names) since #45??????

Not here.  NOTHING has come in from the "moderated" source/binary Amiga
since September of last year or thereabouts (though doc@purdue has posted
a couple of "I'm back" messages since then in this news.group.  It is
curious that the "mod.amiga" group has been active again ... we seem to
get a few atricles from it about once a week, with most of the addresses
looking like they came from Europe and/or were gatewayed into Usenet from
somewhere.  Anyone know what's going on?

Most recently, Mike Meyer sent something to Purdue for moderated posting
(as a test case I think).  This was 10 days ago ... has it shown up
anyplace (besides Purdue, that is?)

Not meaning this to be a flame against Doc, but this seems typical of
moderated groups (with a few noteable exceptions like mod.risks and
[usually] mod.sources).  And this is why I'm against any move to
moderate comp.sys.amiga ... it is just too unreliable (because moderation
is a tough job to do, not to mention the obvious things like doing real
work for one's employer, vacations, sickness, machine outages, busted
software, final exams, death, taxes, etc ...)!

Recent multiply cross-posted 68K wars aside, comp.sys.amiga has usually
had a pretty high S/N ratio, and has been pretty responsible.  I would
like  to think that WE can keep it that way without "in loco parentis"
means like moderation.  For example ... for the non-technical stuff
that isn't of general interest, we can try using "reply" instead of
"followup".  If that had been done as the original request for info
on the various machines *asked*, we would have been spared the recent
war (yes, there were a few "gems of information" in there, but you
really had to look hard)!

Yes, the Amiga (and ST) groups have high volume ... I think that just
might be because the machines are exciting, and have high interest!

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]