[comp.sys.amiga] Phonemes. Why not just digitize them?

aiko@xanth.UUCP (02/15/87)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Phonemes: why not just digitize them?

In article <9146@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>In that case then, how are the phone companies recorded messages done?
>("The number you have reached..")???  Aren't those computer generated?

I believe each of those words in telephone voices originated from a human
voice.  I'm not sure how they're stored, but all the computer does is take
the recorded words and put them together to make sentences.  Some of them are
whole phrases ("The time is...", The number you have reached...", etc) that
are put together; so they sound fairly
smooth.  Others, like touch-tone
bank tellers, make sentences from single words - so not only is the intonation
off, but you can hear a click between each word.  This, combined with the
redundancy of the things touch-tone tellers say, makes them pretty annoying
conversationalists.
If the voices were set up as completely computer generated, with an
attack/decay cycle built into each phoneme (and some kind of intonation
varying the emphasis on words and phonemes) - they would sound pretty good.
But, I think, the cost of this over-reaches the phone company's need for these
voices (I mean, "It would cost too much." :-)

                                          ...{john hayes}
    Old Dominion University
    Norfolk, Virginia USA
    UUCP:   aiko@xanth.UUCP
      or:   ...!seismo!decuac!edison!xanth!aiko
    ARPA:   aiko@xanth.cs.odu.edu
    CSNET:  aiko@odu.CSNET