[comp.sys.amiga] MicroGnuEmacs 1a bugs

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/12/87)

I have MicroGnuEmacs 1a.  I love it to death, but I have noticed a few
bugs with it, including:

	* often the browser will crash the machine.  happens when
	nesting too many levels deep in directories.

	* after editing a while or scrolling text in a window
	(probably just scrolling text in window) clicking pointer to
	set cursor repeatedly places cursor in the wrong position
	(usually two or three character posiitons to the right or one
	to three lines above/below pointer position).  Redisplaying
	screen with C-L cures problem.

	* when directories are displayed by browser in menu bar,
	highlighting does not cover ending slash in directory name.

	* program does not know df1: does not exist on a one-drive
	system.  attempts to access df1: result in system requester
	asking user to place volume df1 in any drive.

	* the function just-one-space is default bound to M-SPC.  Big
	GNU binds this to M-\.

	* fill-paragraph doesn't work properly when the first line of
	the paragraph is indented with a tab.  Consider the following
	example:

	This is an indented paragraph.  The purpose of this paragraph
is to investigate a possible bug in MicroGnuEmacs.   I will move back
up, insert some text on the first line, then try to rejustify using
M-Q.

	Move to the end of the first line and type some nonsense
	word like "foobie."  Hit M-Q.  MG will keep "foobie" at the end
	of the first line and justify the remainder of the paragraph.
	If the first line is not indented with a tab, this problem
	does not occur.  In addition, mg puts point at the end of the
	paragraph after the justification occurs, AND adds a space.
	Big GNU does not move point.

I seem to remember Mike Meyer mentioning that some of these bugs have
been fixed in subsequent incarnations of MG (the browser crash bug, at
least).  Mike, is there any way you might be enticed to post diffs for
the bug fixes on the net?  I'm sure they wouldn't be too lengthy (as
in not greater than 1 post in length).  Does the version of mg that
popped up on mod.sources recently incorporate any of those fixes?  (I
got the executable from a friend that downloaded it from a BBS and
don't want to have to recompile the sources if I don't have to)

| Mike Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University Computer Science Department     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu						     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp	     |
|									     |
| ``Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects''	     |

mwm@eris.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <1132@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>I have MicroGnuEmacs 1a.  I love it to death, but I have noticed a few
>bugs with it, including:
>
>	* often the browser will crash the machine.  happens when
>	nesting too many levels deep in directories.

If you try selecting something from any menu but the last, it'll
crash. I have the fixes. If you're seeing something else, please let
me know by direct mail.

>	* after editing a while or scrolling text in a window
>	(probably just scrolling text in window) clicking pointer to
>	set cursor repeatedly places cursor in the wrong position
>	(usually two or three character posiitons to the right or one
>	to three lines above/below pointer position).  Redisplaying
>	screen with C-L cures problem.

Does the display change, or just the cursor move? If you're hitting
tabs, you might try recompiling with -DMEYN (which changes the mouse
interaction with tabs, among other things). Please send direct mail
about this one if it's not one of those cases.

>	* when directories are displayed by browser in menu bar,
>	highlighting does not cover ending slash in directory name.

That's because we're trying to make the menu bar look like a path
name. I think fixing it so that the everything works right will
require working on the insides of intuition. If someone does have a
fix, forward it. I'm not going to be looking for it (more important
things to do....).

>	* program does not know df1: does not exist on a one-drive
>	system.  attempts to access df1: result in system requester
>	asking user to place volume df1 in any drive.

Already fixed by Mic. It now finds only real devices + assigns. It
also always finds ram:.

>	* the function just-one-space is default bound to M-SPC.  Big
>	GNU binds this to M-\.

Sorry, but my version of GNU has "delete-horizontal-space" bound to
M-\. The mg bindings are baseed on 16 or so. I'm using 17 now. When we
go to 18, I'll correct the bindings to match (probably released in
mg2).

>	* fill-paragraph doesn't work properly when the first line of
>	the paragraph is indented with a tab.  Consider the following
>	example:

Right, but incomplete. Any whitespace at the beginning of the
paragraph will cause this problem. I'm not working on a fix, though.
The paragraphing code was an afterthought (stolen from 3.6 or 3.7 :-).
If you've got a fix, please mail it to me.

>I seem to remember Mike Meyer mentioning that some of these bugs have
>been fixed in subsequent incarnations of MG (the browser crash bug, at
>least).  Mike, is there any way you might be enticed to post diffs for
>the bug fixes on the net?

Ok, I'll say it again. The mg that just went through mod.sources is
identical to what was on the Fish disks.

I have a collection of bug fixes/performance enhancements from around
the net that are "mg1b". Since someone asked, "mg" is the name (short
for MicroGnemacs), 1 is the version, and b is the release. I've put
this in the mail to Mic, and am waiting for some other things to start
working. I hope to get the whole package to mod.sources + Fred Fish
before the end of the month. I'd like to claim before the end of the
week, but don't think I can make it....

After that, I plan to start on mg2. This will mostly be an internal
reorganization so that I (among others) can maintain multiple versions
without have to hack on makefiles, and recompile everything when I
touch anything. Those of you who've done kernel work for 4.[23]BSD
know what my model looks like.

	<mike

But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm
I'll avert my eyes, keep you off my knee,		mwm@berkeley.edu
But it feels so good when you talk to me.		mwm@ucbjade.BITNET

page@ulowell.UUCP (02/14/87)

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) wrote:
>I have MicroGnuEmacs 1a.  I love it to death

Amen.

>but I have noticed a few bugs with it, including:
>	* program does not know df1: does not exist on a one-drive system.

Also does not know about other devices, like DF2, DH0, etc.

>Does the version of mg that popped up on mod.sources recently
>incorporate any of those fixes?

Nope.

A feature I would like to see: support for Matt's PIPE: device for
M-! (to get shell/cli output into an mg window).

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

mwm@eris.UUCP (02/16/87)

In article <1040@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) wrote:
>>I have MicroGnuEmacs 1a.  I love it to death
>
>Amen.

Thank you, from all of us who did it.

>>but I have noticed a few bugs with it, including:
>>	* program does not know df1: does not exist on a one-drive system.
>
>Also does not know about other devices, like DF2, DH0, etc.

Fixed in mg1b.

>A feature I would like to see: support for Matt's PIPE: device for
>M-! (to get shell/cli output into an mg window).

It's going to be there, but probably not 'til mg2. The behavior will
be "look for pipe:, if not there, use ram:". I've had the metacomco
PIPE: for a while, and wanted this all along.

Also, there will be some extensions to live between M-! and a real
shell mode (but no real shell mode).