[comp.sys.amiga] moderation in moderation....

mwm@eris.UUCP (02/14/87)

In article <5663@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>Most recently, Mike Meyer sent something to Purdue for moderated posting
>(as a test case I think).  This was 10 days ago ... has it shown up
>anyplace (besides Purdue, that is?)

No, it was to demonstrate faith in moderated news groups. I sent it
twice (after getting a message about having sent an empty file). I
haven't seen anything, and will be posting it here (comp.sys.amiga)
shortly. So much for faith.

I suspect that the problem is that ulowell does _not_ have a reliable
connection to the outside world. I just changed all the ulowell.csnet
entries in info-68k to !ulowell! because UUCP is more reliable than
their CSNET connection. Gag. Of course there are several requirements
for a moderated group to work; any of them could be failing in this
case.

While I'm on the subject, Barry Shein has suggested a new moderated
group for the "My Computer Is Better Than Your Computer" Wars -
including an archive, so that people interested in buying such things
could get them. I (having far more free time than I know what to do
with [Tongue firmly in cheek; actually, it's somewhere in the next
room....]. Yes Erik, I know that bdbm is next on the list.....) have
volunteered to moderate it if he'll do the net.politics to set it up.
Watch for it, coming to a usenet node near you: talk.religion.micros
:-)!

	<mike

But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm
I'll avert my eyes, keep you off my knee,		mwm@berkeley.edu
But it feels so good when you talk to me.		mwm@ucbjade.BITNET

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <2532@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) writes:
>In article <5663@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>>Most recently, Mike Meyer sent something to Purdue for moderated posting
>>(as a test case I think).  This was 10 days ago ... has it shown up
>>anyplace (besides Purdue, that is?)
>
>I suspect that the problem is that ulowell does _not_ have a reliable
>connection to the outside world. I just changed all the ulowell.csnet
>entries in info-68k to !ulowell! because UUCP is more reliable than
>their CSNET connection. Gag. Of course there are several requirements
>for a moderated group to work; any of them could be failing in this
>case.

Serious Confusion Here:

mod.amiga.sources has naught to do with ulowell, submissions should go to
purdue.  This may or may not explain why your posting didn't show up in
mod.amiga.sources...

Recently I asked Doc what was up, and he indicated that several Indiana
sites were getting postings ok...  I sent him a list of all that had appeared
at this end (nothing for months), but received no comment on this point...

So what's the scoop?  Has anything been sent out this year?  Has anybody
received anything this year?

page@ulowell.UUCP (02/17/87)

Then mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) wrote:
>I suspect that the problem is that ulowell does _not_ have a reliable
>connection to the outside world.

How did we start talking about ulowell?  Didn't you mail it to purdue?

Heat on.  This is for Mike but everyone needs to know the facts.

For the record, ulowell _does_ have a reliable connection to the
outside world.  Several of them, thank you.  Maybe purdue doesn't ?

>I just changed all the ulowell.csnet entries in info-68k to !ulowell!

That's your decision.

>because UUCP is more reliable than their CSNET connection. Gag.

CSNET works, it's just been slower in some cases over the past two
months, and should be faster in most cases now.  We never had any
_reliability_ problems, however.

Use whatever path you want.  ulowell.edu is preferred - why are you
specifying routing?

Heat off.  How's your Amiga?  How about that new Amiga 2000!

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

phils@tekigm2.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <1065@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>In article <5663@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>>Most recently, Mike Meyer sent something to Purdue for moderated posting
>
>Then mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) wrote:
>>I suspect that the problem is that ulowell does _not_ have a reliable
>>connection to the outside world.
>
>How did we start talking about ulowell?  Didn't you mail it to purdue?
>
>Heat on.  This is for Mike but everyone needs to know the facts.
>
>For the record, ulowell _does_ have a reliable connection to the
>outside world.  Several of them, thank you.  Maybe purdue doesn't ?

>..Bob
>--
>Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

Today I received some return mail indicating that a reply I had send to
ulowell had not been delivered in 5 days.

Does this maybe indicate that ulowell's connection to the outside world is
somewhat less reliable than Bob believes? Particularly in light of the
statement Bob makes later in this article that ulowell.edu is the preferred
path. (No flames here, just wanting to point out a (perhaps non-unique)
problem)

This is the returned text:

Begin quote mode:

(Message inbox:100)
Date:     Tue, 17 Feb 87 6:49:45 EST
From: RELAY Mail System (MMDF) <mmdf@relay.cs.net>
Sender: mmdf@relay.cs.net
Subject:  Waiting mail  (msg.as19183)
To: phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM

    After 5 days (110 hours), your message has not yet been
fully delivered.  Attempts to deliver the message will continue
for 2 more days.  No further action is required by you.

    Delivery attempts are still pending for the following address(es):

	mod-amiga@ulowell.edu (host: ulowell.edu) (queue: ulowell)

    Problems usually are due to service interruptions at the receiving
machine.  Less often, they are caused by the communication system.

    Your message begins as follows:

From: Philip E Staub <phils@tekigm2.tek.com>
Date: 12 Feb 87 19:09:27 GMT
To: mod-amiga@tektronix.TEK.COM
Subject: Submission for mod-amiga
Responding-System: tekigm2.TEK.COM

From: phils@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Philip E Staub)

End quote mode.
Phil Staub              tektronix!tekigm!phils    (206) 253-5634
Tektronix, Inc., ISI Engineering
P.O.Box 3500, M/S C1-904, Vancouver, Washington  98668