[comp.sys.amiga] Whither Zorro?

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/15/87)

So now that the 2000 is coming out with its own expansion bus
standard, what's going to happen to Zorro?  Did all of the work that
people have put into designing zorro boards go to waste?

Forcing the Zorro standard into obsolescence only means that both
A1000 AND A2000 owners will have to wait another 6 months before the
third party manufacturers can re-work their product lines to produce
A2000 compatible expansion boxes for the 1000 and develop A2000
compatible boards.  Or does the 2000 have Zorro compatibility in its
slots (I sure hope so)?

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu

"Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects"

miner@ulowell.UUCP (02/15/87)

In article  mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>So now that the 2000 is coming out with its own expansion bus
>Did all of the work people put into designing zorro boards go to waste?

Much of the work that goes into making Zorro cards is handling auto-
configuration and bus arbitration.  The new form factor is just that, a
different size card.  Previous work is NOT wasted, just some additional
work has to be done.  Lets here it for PC-Board CAD :-).

>A1000 AND A2000 owners will have to wait another 6 months before the
>third party manufacturers can re-work their product lines

Most hardware vendors have known about and been developing products
based on the new form factor for a while.  I was ordering a card the
other day and was asked "new form factor or old?"

>Or does the 2000 have Zorro compatibility in its slots (I sure hope so)?

From the pictures I saw in the premature _Compute_ article it looked like
a hacksaw would make the slots compatible.

We have invested in an Ameristar expansion box.  What we are doing is taking
the backplane out of the box (it was big anyway) and laying it next to the
Amiga. We will eventually build new shell for it more conforming to new cards.
--
Rich Miner   ...!wanginst!ulowell!miner
Ulowell, Center for Productivity Enhancement        (617) 452-5000 x2693

perry@well.UUCP (02/16/87)

In article <1136@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
> Forcing the Zorro standard into obsolescence only means that both
> A1000 AND A2000 owners will have to wait another 6 months before the
> third party manufacturers can re-work their product lines to produce
> A2000 compatible expansion boxes for the 1000 and develop A2000
> compatible boards.  Or does the 2000 have Zorro compatibility in its
> slots (I sure hope so)?
> Mike Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University Computer Science Department

A2000 slots are electrically Zorro. Consumers will not have  to wait six
months for A2000 products. For example, all existing ASDG board products
will be available for sale the same day as the A2000 is ready for sale.

Perry

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <1045@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> miner@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Richard Miner) writes:

>From the pictures I saw in the premature _Compute_ article it looked like
>a hacksaw would make the slots compatible.

I presume that you mean that you would use the hacksaw to cut a hole in the
top of the machine to let the board stick out :-)

How about someone building some sort of "spacer" that fits between the
top and the bottom to get the extra vertical height?  Would this work?

P.S.  I'll reserve judgement until I've actually touched one, but that
keyboard looks like a big step backwards (from the layout).  Did they
really move the ESC and DELETE keys!!  AAAaaarrrrrrgggggg!!!!

Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

wagner@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Michael Wagner) (02/18/87)

In article <1045@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> miner@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Richard Miner) writes:
>Much of the work that goes into making Zorro cards is handling auto-
>configuration and bus arbitration.  The new form factor is just that, a
>different size card.  Previous work is NOT wasted, just some additional
>work has to be done.  Lets here it for PC-Board CAD :-).

You mean people aren't using Aegis DRAW?  :-)

Michael