[comp.sys.amiga] HD Backup info wanted

hsgj@batcomputer.UUCP (02/19/87)

Does anyone know of any Hard Disk backup software?  I have a 20 meg
hard disk, and my backup solution consists of using Copy ALL to copy
each directory onto its own floppy.  This takes me about 2 hours.  If
this was automated, it would be real nice.  Another thing to take into
consideration for backup software is whether it changes the file date
or not.  Consider a directory with a lot of file.c and file.o.  Well,
the Copy command sets the date of the resulting file to the current
date.  Since it copies stuff in no particular order, often times the
file.o's date can be earlier by a few seconds then the file.c.  This
means that if you use "make" you are going to have to recompile for
no reason.  So backup software (if any exists) that retains the original
date would be nice.  Of course, if you know of pd stuff thats great;
but pointers on commercial products are ok, too.
	By the way, I have written a review of the MicroBotics MAS-20
hard disk.  I haven't posted it yet, as the review is 250 lines long,
and I have a suspicion that most readers don't read beyond the first
screen :-).  However, if there is any interest, I will be happy to post
the review.
	My trademarked one last point.  I have received many notes from
people replying to my query of whehter a Lock() returned a &FileLock.
The answer is that it does, but it's a BPTR.  Thanks for the info.

-- Dan Green
--
ARPA:  hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/20/87)

	The easiest thing to do is get a hold of the PD tar, PD compress,
and the PD PIPE: device.  You simply set up a script which TAR's the harddisk's
root directory PIPE'd through compress with compress's output going to a
floppy.  If you have a lot on your hard disk, you would have to do several
TAR's on it's subdirectories rather than a single TAR from root, each going to
a different floppy.  I use this method backing up my floppies... I get about
800K -> 200K (backing up mostly text).

	Did I say easiest?

				-Matt

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <210@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:
>Does anyone know of any Hard Disk backup software?  I have a 20 meg
>hard disk, and my backup solution consists of using Copy ALL to copy

On one of my disks in the last batch released (sorry, I forget the exact
disk number) is an alpha version of a port of a Unix utility called
bru (Backup and Restore Utility).  It is a quick and dirty port, but it
is usable.

>each directory onto its own floppy.  This takes me about 2 hours.  If
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gak!  No wonder you are looking for something else...

>					Another thing to take into
>consideration for backup software is whether it changes the file date
>or not.

The alpha version does not preserve the date.  The beta versions will,
using the new facilities available under 1.2  Beta 1 will be ready in the
next week or so.

> Of course, if you know of pd stuff thats great;

The alpha version is not pd, but it is freely redistributable.  All
subsequent versions, up to and including any possible commercial release,
will not be.

Disclaimer:  I am the author of bru so I obviously have some interest in
seeing it become popular.

-Fred
Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976