[comp.sys.amiga] Stereotek glasses

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/24/87)

[me:]
>> Stereo Tek 3D glasses, [...]
>>use liquid crystal shutters in lightweight glasses to present alternate
>>screen frames to the right and left eyes, repectively, giving 3d
>>[...]the Amiga. Anyone out there know what kind of hardware hacks might be
>>necessary?

[George Robbins:]
>No hardware hack would be needed, just some programming to switch bit-plane
>pointers and a control line between frames.

Could you expand a bit? Where would it plug into the Amiga? And what was
that about a "control line" ?
	Doug

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <8702240838.AA09495@ingres.Berkeley.EDU> hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) writes:
>[me:]
>>> Stereo Tek 3D glasses, [...]
>>>use liquid crystal shutters in lightweight glasses to present alternate
>>>screen frames to the right and left eyes, repectively, giving 3d
>>>[...]the Amiga. Anyone out there know what kind of hardware hacks might be
>>>necessary?
>
>[George Robbins:]
>>No hardware hack would be needed, just some programming to switch bit-plane
>>pointers and a control line between frames.
>
>Could you expand a bit? Where would it plug into the Amiga? And what was
>that about a "control line" ?
>	Doug

Some of the pins on "Joystick" connectors are actually programmable I/O pins
and can be used for controlling or communicating with external devices.  A
number or third-party real-time clocks already do this.

The other alternative would be to use one of the parallel port control lines,
but then there is more likely to be a conflict between the system software
and your intentions.

Consult the Hardware Reference Manual for further detail on the Joystick ports.