[comp.sys.amiga] Dave Wecker's VT100

stever@videovax.Tek.COM.UUCP (02/24/87)

John Roberts (roberts@icst-ecf.ARPA) writes:
> 1) VT100 has a menu category called "xfer mode", with the choices
> of "image" and "CR LF". Which is preferable for downloading C source?
> (Lattice compiler, in this case.)

Choose image mode when running between an Amiga and a VAX, or any other
system which uses newline internally as the line terminator for text
files.  Choose CR/LF when transferring to any system which uses carriage
return (or anything other than newline) as the internal line terminator.

When in doubt, use CR/LF mode!  There is a slight decrease in efficiency
(two characters transmitted at the end of each line, instead of one),
but it allows each machine to convert the CR/LF sequence to its own
internal line termination sequence.

Whichever mode you use, be sure to use it on both ends!

> 2) I have been unable to download the executable version
> (VT100_2.4.exe) in a form that I can get to run. Can this kermit
> handle a binary transfer? Are there any particular requirements
> (i.e. 8 bits) for the communications link? If it is possible,
> what is the procedure?

To transfer binary with Kermit, you need to "set file type binary".  If
the Kermit on your VAX is C-Kermit, this should work just fine.  However,
VT100 Kermit may not be able to handle binary transfers (I don't know --
I use VT100, but I switch to Amiga Kermit when transferring files).

If VT100 cannot set binary transfer mode, try uuencoding the executable
file on the VAX, downloading to the Amiga (at that point, it is just a
text file), and uudecoding on the Amiga.  Uudecode is on one of the later
Fish disks.  It is also quite small, so could be sent to you by email
if you don't have access to the Fish disks.  (It may also be available
on TRANTOR.)

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

spencer@eris.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <4239> stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>John Roberts (roberts@icst-ecf.ARPA) writes:
>> 1) VT100 has a menu category called "xfer mode", with the choices
>> of "image" and "CR LF". Which is preferable for downloading C source?
>
>Choose image mode when running between an Amiga and a VAX, or any other
>system which uses newline internally as the line terminator for text
>files.  Choose CR/LF when transferring to any system which uses carriage
>return (or anything other than newline) as the internal line terminator.
>
>Whichever mode you use, be sure to use it on both ends!
>
>					Steve Rice

No actually, you don't have to set it on both ends, it is determined by
the sender.  The sender goes out to the receiver and in an initialization
packet tell it how they are going to do the transfer.  Kermit was set up
as a file transfer protocol that works between any and all machines, so
there is a default protocol that does work on all machines.  It is from
that default that we start adding features to the transfer.  On of those
is compression, if the sending kermit says "we are going to use compression"
then unless the other side can't compression is the default way to transfer.
If the receiver can't do compression it says so and the transfer goes on
with less features than the send could handle.  Sort of like this:

   Sender sends packet telling
   which extra features it wants
   to use in the transfer.
                                             Receiver sends packet telling
                                             which of those it can't handle.
   Send sends first packet as agreed.

So if the sender says "Send this file with CR/LF translation" then unless
the receiver is really dumb it says OK and they do the translation that way,
even (I stress, _EVEN_) if you "set file type text" on the receiver.

Sorry, kind of a nut on Kermit, and have spent years debugging transfers.
Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 C#(415)283-5469
                         I N F I N I T Y          spencer%eris@berkeley.edu
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .      spencer@USCVAXQ.bitnet
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. . ....ucbvax!eris!spencer
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..
                         s o f t w a r e