[comp.sys.amiga] Printer HELP Needed

pstryjew@ccvaxa.UUCP (02/23/87)

I am trying to connect an Apple Imagewriter II to my Amiga, but I cannot get    anything to print.  I am using Kickstart and WB vers1.2, and have tried all
ombinations of baudrates and handshaking.  I have had the printer type set
in preferences to Imagewriter II and generic and tried combinations of the
other variables.  I have had a modem hooked to the serial port and it works
fine.

I have a RS-232 patch box and have looked at the lines: when the modem
is connected and then turned on the DTR line goes high and the amiga responds
with the DSR which goes high for a second then falls until I use my software
to use the modem (where it stays high).  When the printer is connected the
DTR goes high and stays high, but the amiga NEVER responds with the DSR going
to high.

The printer passes its selftest, and the cable does not have any shorts and uses
: DSR, DCD, DTR, RXD, GND, TXD.

Has anyone else had any problems? Or can anyone offer suggestions or solutions?
I need HELP!! Please reply here or preferbly send email to:

                  pur_ee!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!pstryjew

                         or call
                  (217) 384-8566

  Thanks in advance,

      Peter Stryjewski

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <26700007@ccvaxa> pstryjew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

>I am trying to connect an Apple Imagewriter II to my Amiga, but I cannot get    anything to print.  I am using Kickstart and WB vers1.2, and have tried all
>ombinations of baudrates and handshaking.  I have had the printer type set
>in preferences to Imagewriter II and generic and tried combinations of the
>other variables.  I have had a modem hooked to the serial port and it works
>fine.

I buzzed a cable that QA had used with the ImageWriter II.  I don't
know what their prefs setup was, but their cable is as follows:

I made up my own numbering scheme for the Apple connector since there
were no numbers on it.  These pictures show the 2 ends of the cable.

   Amiga End                 Apple End
________________
\1...........13/               1 2 3
 \14........25/               4  5  6
  \__________/                  7 8

Connections
AMIGA <-> APPLE
  7         1
 nc         2
 nc         3
  3         4
  7         5
  2         6
  5         7
  4         8

carolyn
Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180