[comp.sys.amiga] disk drive woes/sideways Amiga

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/28/87)

Bob Page writes:

> billk@pnet01.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) wrote in article <847@crash.CTS.COM>:
> >I have a friend who tried tipping his Amiga sideways to save DESK
> >(not disk!) space
>
> I don't see how this can save desk space.  How big is his monitor?

The whole reason I turned the machine on its side was to get it and
its footprint off my desktop.  With the system box gone, only the
monitor leaves a footprint and I have more useful space (I have the
1080 monitor, ho-hum).

> >My advice would be to NOT "turn your Amiga on its side"!!!
>
> I think what you meant was not turn your disk drive on its side.
> I can assure you the position of the disk drive (h vs v) should
> not matter.  The Amiga next to me has its drive sideways, and has
> for a long time, with no problems.  I seem to remember an Amiga
> engineer a while back (about 18 months) say it won't hurt the
> drive; C-A does it all the time too.

Here is the way my amiga was set up:

		+------+
		| 1080 |
		|      |
		+------+	desktop
	+--+| drawer	|			     |
amiga ->|  ||		|			     |
	|  ||		|			     |

I won't waste space illustrating the rest of the arrangement, but the
disk drive/mouse port/expansion connector end was on the desktop end,
with the expansion bus pointing toward the ceiling.  Thus there was
enough cable for the mouse and the keyboard.

> You should check other things.  First is disk quality.  Second is
> proximity to the monitor degaussing circuits and other electromagnetic
> fields - tipping the *amiga* up could bring it too close to these
> circuits.  Other suggestions: air flow (heat problems, dirt),
> direct sunlight, etc.

My amiga absolutely hates single-sided disks; my kickstart disk is on
a Sony DS disk.  Note that the arrrangement above puts the system box
farther away from the monitor than in a more conventional
arrangement.  None of the air inlets/outlets were blocked.  Also, the
desk is between the Amiga and sunlight streaming in through a nearby
window.

I put it back up on the desk normally (system box under monitor) and
the system works *much* better.  It now accepts Kickstart disks no
matter when I insert them (sometimes it still balks at me, though.  A
second try works just fine.  Perhaps it's time to visit the service
shop for adjustments).  So perhaps there is credence to the claim you
shouldn't turn the machine on its side.  At least I don't recommend
it.

> How could the keyboard fit if you tipped the Amiga on its side?  :-)

Just place it in the keyboard well vertically, between the Amiga and
the desk ;-)

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu

"Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects"