[comp.sys.amiga] vt100 2.6 bugs

robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (03/02/87)

I haven't seen any discussion of these bugs, so I wonder if I have managed
to break something, or what.  In any case, has anyone experienced the following:

   1. Using a standard workbench window, the file name requesters do not
      echo what you type.

   2. Files refuse to open.  All attempts to open a file, even, say, PAR:,
      result in a system requester popping up that says "Volume Workbench
      is write protected."  If the write protection is disabled, a vt100
      requester pops up and says it is unable to open the file.  This happens
      on all attempts to open any file.

The system I am running is a 512k v1.1 standard Amiga with one drive (they
don't come more plain vanilla).  All I did to the source files was to change
the compiled defaults to come up with a workbench window of 24 lines.

         "If you study the logistics and heuristics of the mystics,
          You will find that their minds rarely move in a line"

              Fifty percent of everything is below average.

Mike Robinson                                 USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

ali@rocky.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <17643@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> Michael Robinson writes:
>   1. Using a standard workbench window, the file name requesters do not
>      echo what you type.
Vt100 2.6 uses ActivateGadget(), which is available only under 1.2.
The above problem might be occuring because you're running under 1.1.
You should probably get rid of all ActivateGadget() calls in the program,
or, better yet, use 1.2.

>The system I am running is a 512k v1.1 standard Amiga with one drive (they
>don't come more plain vanilla).
Actually, they do! The "standard" Amiga is 256K!

While I'm at it, here's a question on an almost totally unrelated topic...
I have Alegra 512k memory expansion. What chips do I need to go buy in order
to expand my expansion to 2 megs? And how much are those chips these days?
Also, I guess I will need to replace the PAL --- How do I obtain a new one,
and how much does this run for?

Finally, has anyone actually done this expansion to 2 megs? If so, is
there any performance degradation?

Ali Ozer, ali@score.stanford.edu OR ali@navajo.stanford.edu