From ucbvax!decvax!tektronix!reed!omsi Mon Mar  2 03:17:10 PST 1987
Article 1847 of comp.sys.atari.st:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: Re: Stereoscopic Display for ST
Date: 28 Feb 87 05:31:40 GMT

[]
In article <8702260920.aa24966@ARDEC-3.ARDEC.ARPA> ekijak@ARDEC.ARPA ("Edmund S. Kijak", IMD-IPAO) writes:
>MASS MARKET APPLICATIONS FOR LCS 3-D USING THE ATARI 1040ST
>Gary S. Yost - Antic Publishing, Inc.
>Gary S. Yost, Director of Product Development and Marketing, Antic Publishing,
>Inc., San Francisco, California
>     Mr. Yost founded the software division of Antic Publishing, Inc. in 1985,
>and is the significant force behind the development of the STEREOTEK 3D display
>system for Atari ST computers (in cooperation with Tektronix).  Before moving to
>Antic in 1983, he was a Research Fellow with the Atari Institiute for
>Educational Action Research.  In the past year, Mr. Yost has managed the
>development of the first Computer Aided Design system that stereoscopically
>renders 3D models in color (under $100), and the first stereoscopic molecular
>modeling package aimed at the secondary education market towards marketing
>high-performance 3D displays to over 150,000 Atari ST owners, and developing
>special 3D markets for value added resellers.

[small flame...]

Gee.. I know the guy who created the glasses for Tek for the ST, but does
anybody give him credit?  I'd like to be the first.
His name is Mark Kimball.  He first developed the hardware trying to use the
DMA port to control it but he ran into a few problems so he found a way to
"write" to the DMA port without having to modify the ST.  His first software
experimentation with it was drawing 3-d spheres in Forth on a mono monitor.
The nice thing about the monochrome on the ST is the refresh rate is about
72 Hz (as opposed to the usual 60 Hz) which made the images seem to flicker
less.  When Tek invested in color monitors, he picked up CAD 3-D and started
seeing if could make Tom Hudson's 3-D really 3-D.  Mark created a couple of
desk accessories that did the trick.  Mark started working with Tom in seeing
how the glasses could be worked into CAD 3-D.  So the resulting projects came
up with things like animations that instead of storing each frame in memory,
only the first frame is stored along with just the changes between frames so
it takes a LOT less space.  One of Tom's latest projects is ray tracing
(after he saw Zanth's "Shiny Bubbles") and his latest "masterpiece" combines
ray tracing, stereo glasses, and animation, and is called "Steely Boink".
This is a fantastic little 15x2 frame stereo animation that is a "room" that
is enclosed on each side with an 'animated' picture, with several 'mirrored'
spheres moving around reflecting everything.  This one you got to see to
believe! (I'm lucky because the store that I work at is one of Mark's
favorite hangouts).
Mark is now experimenting with adding more bit planes to the ST.  He mentioned
somthing like adding 4 more to low rez so you have 256 colors on the screen
at the same time.
I have just one flame against Antic.  Since they are the distibutor for the
StereoTek glasses they have done somthing rotten.  Even though they sell
the new CAD 3-D 2.0 and the StereoTek glasses to dealers, they are selling
the two together at a reduced rate but not selling the "sets" to dealers so
they can do the same.  So, the store I work at is now talking to LCS (Tek)
to buy the glasses directly to cut down the cost so CAD 3-D and the glasses
could be bundled together cheaper. (Things are looking promising)

- Russell Schwartz
  ...!tektronix!reed!omsi

P.S. Sorry for rambling on so long.