[comp.sys.amiga] The next workstation company ?

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (02/27/87)

>Gee, someone who knows a little about marketing has finally started reading
>comp.sys.amiga.  Sorry Doug, a toy company will not become the next SUN.
>NeXT and Apple have that market sewed up.  My question for CBM is when
>are you gonna junk AMIGADOS?
>
>Hot Product:
>
>	a 80386-based UNIX box with a MS-DOS virtual machine
>	capability. This baby could be built for a HELL of
>	a lot less than a 680X0 based system with a 80286
>X-Windows is a MUST. Looks as though INTUITION (like TRIPOS) is bound
>for obscurity.
>Personally, I think a 386 based PC-Clone is the best candidate. It WILL
>run UNIX of course and keep Corporate America happy by also running DOS.
>
>I don't hate AMIGA, I just feel sorry for them...
>
>-ed-

Sorry, I just couldn't sit idly by on this one.
C'mon. First, if you have anything to complain about being bad news it's
good old DOS (gak). Next, if Commodore ever changes their machine to be
based on any of the intel processors I jump ship immediately. I personally
will never forgive intel for sticking the world with their segment registers
with not enough bits (I know this is fixed in the 386 but we're stuck
with a billion PC's now).
But a bigger issue is: X-windows ?!?
I've used them once and they just aren't as convenient as the intuitiuon
interface. I really don't see it as the end of Intuition. I'd really like
to see Intuition ported to UNIX...now, who's up for the challenge ??

Another issue. I feel there will definitely be a market for low to medium
capability graphics workstations. SUN will probably never to able
to offer equipment as cheaply as CBM. CBM has experience in low end mass
production. I have heard rumors about the new Apple machines, but I really
wouldn't call that having the market "SEWN UP" (never heard of Next).

Anyhow, I hope who ever dropped this comment out either owns an Amiga
or has used one for a while. I've have used Suns and PeeCee's and found
problems in the lot (be it price or functionality).

What we all really need is a new attitude about using hardware:
portability. I guess I'm wishing that each company who decides to
put out some significant version of a windowing system or operating
system underneath make it available on all the hardware of the time.
It sure would make using these computers alot easier.....
Note that I'm not calling for all of us to use a single standard !
That would be limiting and foolish, but rather has numerous ones
available to all. Heck if CBM can offer an icon-window enviroment
on a C64, I'm sure some form of intuition could run on a PeeCee.

Oops, gotta go ....my thesis is boiling over....

                                   Ralph, gradual student.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/05/87)

In article <778@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> ralph@ATRP.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Amiga-Man) writes:

>>X-Windows is a MUST. Looks as though INTUITION (like TRIPOS) is bound
>>for obscurity.
>>Personally, I think a 386 based PC-Clone is the best candidate. It WILL
>>run UNIX of course and keep Corporate America happy by also running DOS.
>>
>>-ed-
>
>Sorry, I just couldn't sit idly by on this one.
>... ranting deleted
>But a bigger issue is: X-windows ?!?
>I've used them once and they just aren't as convenient as the intuitiuon
>interface. I really don't see it as the end of Intuition. I'd really like
>to see Intuition ported to UNIX...now, who's up for the challenge ??

You're missing the point here... the idea is not to see what you
can do to be the best, but to be STANDARD. For one user on one
system, writing all your own software, use anything you want. If
you're a manuracturer you want as much software as possible to
run on your hardware. If your a software author, you want to
write for the greatest number of machines.

X-windows is being supported by 11 majot companies officially,
and IBM has blessed it by implementing it on the RT. One of the
things I like about UNIX is moving code from an XT to a Cray or
anything in between. With a standard I can do that for graphics
as well.

What I expect to happen is that Sun will put X-windows under
NeWS, AT&T will accept it as part of SYS???, and people will
supply X versions for the MAC, Amiga, ST, and PC. At UNIFORUM I
saw several UNIX boxes and a PC running X, and I heard that
there will soon be X terminals.

I agree that there are better (you define what that means)
window systems, but until and unless one of these becomes a
standard, I will want to have the most portable graphics system
available, and today that means X.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen