[comp.sys.amiga] new Amiga questions

mu7wbl@sdcc13.UUCP (03/05/87)

I've got a few questions I'm sure others must have also-
if C-A could comment...

1) Why introduce the 2000 now when U.S. units will not be shipping
for at least three months?

2) Is the 500 going to be a mass market or dealer computer?

3) Frank Leonardy (V.P. sales) told a friend of mine to expect
quantity shipments of 500s in June, others have said it won't be
until much later.

and the next question I already know the answer to, but anyways...
4) Why are the overpriced, under-performanced new Macs getting
all of the press?

Just thought I'd ask.

Steve Hartford              mu7wbl%sdcc13@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU
programmer (student?)       University of California, San Diego

mikeb@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Mike Brenner SW) (03/06/87)

In article <782@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU> mu7wbl@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (STEPHEN HARTFORD) writes:
>I've got a few questions I'm sure others must have also-
>if C-A could comment...
>
>1) Why introduce the 2000 now when U.S. units will not be shipping
>for at least three months?
The 2000 will begin shipments in Europe later this month. As soon as the
boats from Europe reach the U.S. we will begin shipping here. That appears
to be about 4-6 weeks after the European shipments but not quite 3 months.

>2) Is the 500 going to be a mass market or dealer computer?
The A500 will be sold through computer specialty dealers possibly with the
addition of one or two high caliber general merchandisers.

>3) Frank Leonardi (V.P. sales) told a friend of mine to expect
>quantity shipments of 500s in June, others have said it won't be
>until much later.
The plan is still June. Actual availability in any given retail outlet
is a function of shipping time, order fulfilment etc. which could mean
you won't see one at your favorite dealer until July.

>and the next question I already know the answer to, but anyways...
>4) Why are the overpriced, under-performanced new Macs getting
>all of the press?
Good question. Why not write to your favorite editors and ask them. We
have certainly put a large effort into communicating with the press
about the new Amiga products. Maybe the editors don't think their readers
are as interested in the Amiga or Commodore.
>Just thought I'd ask.
>
>Steve Hartford              mu7wbl%sdcc13@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU
>programmer (student?)       University of California, San Diego
   - Mike Brenner, Commodore -