[comp.sys.amiga] asdg rrd, no vd1?

mwm@violet.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (03/05/87)

I wanted to be able to have an rrd in both fast and chip memory, so I
set up vd1: identical to vd0:, except for BufMemType and HighCyl (as
per the direction).

Mount vd1: quietly does whatever mount does. Attempting to touch vd1:
generates a "not a dos disk" error.

Anyone else tried this? Any comments as to why it should happen?
Better  yet, got a fix?

	Thanx,
	<mike

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (03/07/87)

In article <2688@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@violet.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) writes:

> I wanted to be able to have an rrd in both fast and chip memory, so I
> set up vd1: identical to vd0:, except for BufMemType and HighCyl (as
> per the direction).
>
> Mount vd1: quietly does whatever mount does. Attempting to touch vd1:
> generates a "not a dos disk" error.

Mike, it is  in  the  code that no more than one vapordisk is allowed per
machine. Since VD0: can be up to 8 megabytes in size (2 for the shareware
version) and there's  no  head  movement  latency in ram I saw no need to
allow more than  one recoverable ram disk. Sorry if I made a rash assump-
tion.

Also, the Chris   Erving  memory  hack (semi-fast ram) will not work with
the RRD. In the code there are  tests  against 0x200000 for being the di-
viding line between  fast ram  and chip ram. This used to be a valid test
until Chris came along. Jeeze, who needed him! :-) :-) :-)

I am working on the definitive rrd manual which will be sent to all share
ware (registered) owners. It'll  be 20+  pages or so it ought to be worth
something. Please send in your  shareware donations  since  to date we've
only received about 20 registrations and we are pretty disappointed.   As
Mike's posting indicates there are things I could  do to improve the rrd.
For 20 $10 donations,  I  definately will not spend the time and make the
result publically available again.