[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDOS & Tripos

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) (03/09/87)

In article <2725@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) writes:
>>NO! NO! NO! The EXEC does the nice stuff. AmigaDOS _only_ handles the file
>>system and the concept of processes. Let's give credit where credit is due.
>
>I've very carefully avoided digging into the guts of AmigaDOS (I spend
>far to much time in the guts of larger, uglier OS's as it is...). I
>asked C/A for a description of how AmigaDOS, the EXEC & TRIPOS fit
>together. The answer that came back was "TRIPOS and AmigaDOS are one
>and the same (essentially)." Someone from C/A care to correct that? If
>the EXEC is C/A work, it means they re-created the TRIPOS kernel
>(after all, the file system expects a specific kind of support; if a
>re-written EXEC doesn't provide it, then the file system must have
>been re-written), or are responsible for lots more than just the EXEC.

Being up at odd hours, and tired of not knowing who had done what, I
called MetaComCo (England, not CA), and asked.

I was wrong, Jim was right. The file system & some other misc. parts
are MetaComCo; the exec (message passing and etc.) are C/A. The exec
was written and the OS on top of that was not finished. The C/A exec
and the MetaComCo exec were enough alike that there was little trouble
putting Tripos on top of the C/A exec.

I also took the opportunity to ask for tech information on Tripos.
Supposedly, they've put stuff in the mail to me. Be interesting to
compare that to AmigaDOS.

Finally, the original Tripos (as done at Cambridge) is PD. Not sure
what it takes to get a copy, but you should be able to if you want.
For those interested in chasing this, the number is
011-44-272-428-781.

	<mike
--
But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm