[comp.sys.amiga] Some questions about the Ranger

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (03/09/87)

Could someone at C-A see fit to tell us some hard facts about the A500?
The A2000 is exciting and all that, but I've got several friends that
love the Amiga, but it's a bit out of their budget.

Is it really going to cost only $300? I assume the A500 is a "real"
Amiga, that is it has the full hardware of the 1000? What limitations
are imposed on expansion (something has to give to get the price down)?

I realize that it won't be on the market for a while yet, but with some
solid info I might be able to head off a couple of ST purchases.  :-)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

In article <5@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Could someone at C-A see fit to tell us some hard facts about the A500?
>The A2000 is exciting and all that, but I've got several friends that
>love the Amiga, but it's a bit out of their budget.
>
>Is it really going to cost only $300? I assume the A500 is a "real"
                                  ^^^^ sorry, no way!
>Amiga, that is it has the full hardware of the 1000? What limitations
>are imposed on expansion (something has to give to get the price down)?

Recommended List prices is $649, but remember that stuff in this price range
should be subject to discounting, bundling and promotions.

The only notable omission from the base system is the *color* composite video,
which has been moved to the optional RF modulator.  In return, you get a
full grey-scale composite monochrome output that you can use with $70-100
monochrome monitors, taking ~200 bucks off your system cost.  Both analog
and digital RGB are still present though...

Expansion is pretty much the same, except power for external devices is
limited.  It's too soon to tell which third party hardware vendors are
going to modify their products to be compatible with the power issue and
the casework configuration.

Compared to the A2000, you only get 512K RAM built in - an option board
plugs in underneath to provide an additional 512K RAM and a battery
backed up real time clock.  Not sure what this card will list for, it
is intended to be cheap...

At the $649 price, you are getting the equivalent of an A1000 with it's
optional memory expansion.  It's cheaper because we were able to use current
technology and we used the traditional Commodore formula for making low
cost system - integrated keyboard, external power supply...