[comp.sys.amiga] aztec 3.40a & vt100 2.6

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (03/04/87)

On Tuesday February 24 I ordered the aztec upgrade (3.20 commercial to
3.40 developer) and it arrived UPS yesterday March 2.  Very prompt service.

One of the first things I did was to recompile VT100 2.6.  There were
several difficulties:

1)	"RAM: disk full".  Running Matts's shell, popcli, and with the
	c.lib in ram: I could only compile the smaller modules.  Had to
	delete the c.lib from ram: to compile the rest. (I have only
	512K and an external floppy.)

2)	The new assembler has a 'blanks' directive that defaults to 'on',
	which means that all comments must be preceded by a ';'.  Had to
	edit the newbindings.asm.

3)	The new executable is 45468 vs. 45936 for 3.20a.

4)	The new executable does not recognize initialization file commands.
	On the workbench screen I get messages like:

	INIT - unknown command:
	nuMKEY	ON

	Always the first two characters are lower case and the rest upper
	(the commands are entirely upper case in the file).  My script file
	seems to work ok (at least it dials the modem and logs me in).

5)	After downloading some files I logged off and clicked on the close
	gadget and the machine froze--no pointer movement, nothing. This
	has not reoccured so maybe it was a fluke.

In setting up my system disk I copied all the include files, the libs, and
those executables I wanted.  Could these problems be something I did (or
didn't) do, or is something in vt100 2.6 incompatible with 3.40?

Rick Pasotto

page@ulowell.UUCP (03/04/87)

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) wrote in article <637@unccvax.UUCP>:
>	INIT - unknown command:
>	nuMKEY	ON

I changed the init file to all lower case and that solved the problem.
It had nothing to to with the compiler.

Also note that to program a function key, you must now put a space
between the 'f' and the number, e.g.:

f 1 text

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (03/05/87)

In article <637@unccvax.UUCP> fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) writes:
>4)	The new executable does not recognize initialization file commands.
>	On the workbench screen I get messages like:
>
>	INIT - unknown command:
>	nuMKEY	ON

I had the same problem with 3.30E.  It appears to be some sort of
compiler problem.  It also appears that my original posting of the
problem and fix didn't make it out of this site, so here is the text
of that previous posting:

While compiling Dave's new vt100 version 2.6 with Manx 3.30E, I apparently
have stumbled across some sort of compiler bug.  In exe_cmd() change the
storage class of i and l2 to register, as follows, and the bug goes away.
I haven't looked at the generated code to see exactly what is happening
(symptoms are no downcasing of the command).

168,172c168,172
!     int i,l2;

     /* downcase the command */
     for (i=0; i<l; i++) p[i] |= ' ';

---
!     register int i,l2;

     /* downcase the command */
     for (i=0; i<l; i++) p[i] |= ' ';

-Fred
Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

Baryeka@cui.UUCP (03/10/87)

In article <1119@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) wrote in article <637@unccvax.UUCP>:
>>	INIT - unknown command:
>>	nuMKEY	ON
>
>I changed the init file to all lower case and that solved the problem.
>It had nothing to to with the compiler.
>
>..Bob
>--
>Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

Yes it has. The case conversion in exe_cmd() (script.c) does not work if
you use Manx 3.40. A possible hack is inserting fflush in this function.

Beginning of exe_cmd  --->   int i, 12;

                             fflush(stdout);
                             for(i = 0; ...