[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga2000 expansion

wbell@utgpu.UUCP (03/06/87)

I have heard talk of 68020 & 68881 expansion boards for the A2000,
as well as 80286 and even 80386 boards.
Has anyone heard of any MMU boards for it?
--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell

"Eh? Doctor *WHO*?? What are you talking about..?"
     -Doctor Who (William Hartnell), "An Unearthly Child" (episode 1, 1963)

perry@well.UUCP (03/09/87)

In article <1987Mar6.153423.8821@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, wbell@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Warren Bell) writes:

> I have heard talk of 68020 & 68881 expansion boards for the A2000,
> as well as 80286 and even 80386 boards.
> Has anyone heard of any MMU boards for it?

This raises an interesting question from the perspective
of a hardware developer:

Should a third  party 68020 board have the capability to
install an MMU?

Let me clarify:

We all know the worth  of having an MMU on the Amiga, and
we all know (now) that CBM is considering one for the 020
board they are working  on. But, CBM has the resources to
make use  of  such  a  beast. My question is: Does anyone
think it is worth while for a non-CBM third party to have
an mmu (knowing full well that the 3rd party does not have
the resources to provide  software support in  the kernel
for it)?

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <1987Mar6.153423.8821@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> wbell@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Warren Bell) writes:

>I have heard talk of 68020 & 68881 expansion boards for the A2000,
>as well as 80286 and even 80386 boards.
>Has anyone heard of any MMU boards for it?

"...Commodore is implementing for the A2000 is a 68020-based version of Unix 5.2
[...] that uses a propriatary MMU [...] currently under development and
evaluation..."
               - quotation attributed to Clive Smith C/A from the Byte Article

I don't know when additional information will be released on this...

So far, I am not aware of any 68020 boards available for the Amiga that include
and MMU.  Most of the emphasis has been on running the existing software faster,
rather than adding new functions.