[comp.sys.amiga] Byte Article -- Commodore's Promises?

alex@xios.UUCP (Alex B Laney) (03/03/87)

Near the back of the Byte article on the Amiga 2000, Clive Smith, makes these
comments which sound like future products:

One:

Commodore is currently developing it own A2286 (intel 286 cpu) card and
support software, which will bring AT-level coprocessing to the Amiga
environment.

Two:

The next multiprocessor/multiDOS environment which Commodore is implementing
for the A2000 is a 68020-based version of UNIX 5.2 that uses a proprietary
MMU currently under development and evaluation ...

end of quote

Now -- if these products are almost (and especially if not) ready to go out
the door, I can tell that the Commodore Engineering staff are cringing at this
marketing guy telling Byte about this. They both sound like products I'd
be interested in.

Are these products planned for '87, '88? Based on track record should I guess?
I have never liked this kind of off-hand announcement. Commodore is under no
obligation legally to bring out these products.

Both cards sound like winners. I don't really want a 8088 in my Amiga! An
80286 I think I could live with, though. And that is going to be more and more
important with the MS-ADOS. With UNIX SVR2, Commodore would have a real
alternative to Unix workstations. They will have to upgrade the number of
pixels, though.

So far, the A2000 info in the magazines is a little disappointing. At least
the info that is for certain. They moved the SideCar and second floppy
internal. But with all the expandability in the slots there certainly
is a lot of potential. That is the most encouraging thing. But I wonder if
there is a bit of a shaky hand on these Amigas ... It doesn't seem a complete
machine yet. But they're working on it. And no magazine has a date of when
it will be in the stores. My local dealer thinks it will be anywhere from
summer to Xmas. This release was definitely moved up to counter Atari's
announcements (which were probably way too soon as well.. and it goes round
and round ...)

--

<><><> {utcsri,utzoo}!dciem!nrcaer!xios!alex   alex@xios.UUCP      <><><>

mikeb@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Mike Brenner SW) (03/10/87)

In article <395@xios.UUCP> alex@xios.UUCP (Alex B Laney) writes:

>Are these products planned for '87, '88? Based on track record should I guess?
>I have never liked this kind of off-hand announcement. Commodore is under no
>obligation legally to bring out these products.
These products (80286 bridge card and 68020/Unix) are planned for A.S.A.P.
Until they are complete, documented, and fully tested a release date cannot
be set. They were discussed to demonstrate the expansion potential of the
A2000 without specifically announcing product.

>But I wonder if
>there is a bit of a shaky hand on these Amigas ... It doesn't seem a complete
>machine yet. But they're working on it. This release was definitely moved up
>to counter Atari's
>announcements (which were probably way too soon as well.. and it goes round
>and round ...)
>>
>><><>< Alex Laney, Xios Systems Corp, 150-1600 Carling Av, Ottawa. ><><><
><><><> {utcsri,utzoo}!dciem!nrcaer!xios!alex   alex@xios.UUCP      <><><>
The A2000 is very solid and real. It will be shipping in Germany later this
month and in the rest of the world about 6 weeks later as the boats are
floated this way from our European factory. The announcement was not "Moved
Up". Introduction was ALWAYS planned for the Hanover Fair in Germany on
March 4 (as it happened).

   -Mike-

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <395@xios.UUCP> alex@xios.UUCP (Alex B Laney) writes:

>Commodore is currently developing it own A2286 (intel 286 cpu) card...
>
>The next multiprocessor/multiDOS environment which Commodore is implementing
>for the A2000 is a 68020-based version of UNIX 5.2 that uses a proprietary
>MMU currently under development and evaluation ...
>
>Now -- if these products are almost (and especially if not) ready to go out
>the door, I can tell that the Commodore Engineering staff are cringing at this
>marketing guy telling Byte about this. They both sound like products I'd
>be interested in.

	Of course we get to cringe, but on the other hand, this is Commodore
	publicly talking about the things we have been trying to make happen
	from down in our little (engineering) dungeons.

	While there are teams of very dedicated people working on both the 68020
	board and the 286 board, they are still in a developmental stage.  Thus
	a certain degree of qualification is quite appropriate.  Please examine
	the A2000 related editorial in the Byte issue for contrast.

>                        That is the most encouraging thing. But I wonder if
>there is a bit of a shaky hand on these Amigas ... It doesn't seem a complete
>machine yet. But they're working on it.

	Excuse me?  That's what expandable systems are all about.  The machine
	is complete and usable as described, including expansion cards for
	memory, disk controller and the and 8088 bridges.  Sure, there are some
	other goodies we are working on, but the A2000 is a system with growth
	potential designed in, not a closed out, sealed box.

>                                           And no magazine has a date of when
>it will be in the stores. My local dealer thinks it will be anywhere from
>summer to Xmas.

	Please remember that Byte and the other glossies have *long* lead times.
	The Byte article was based on information from before CES, while the
	public announcment, including general availability dates was at the
	Hannover show.

>                     This release was definitely moved up to counter Atari's
>announcements (which were probably way too soon as well.. and it goes round
>and round ...)

	Are you sure you don't have this confused?  Both Commodore and Atari
	had their new products at CES.  Atari showed their stuff publicly - look
	but don't touch, Commodore kept their stuff private, but were giving out
	hard information and letting the photographers do their worst.  You can
	form your opinions about who was rushing their anncouncements, but only
	time will tell which company actually delivers on time, in volume.