[comp.sys.amiga] RAM boards and hard disks

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (02/27/87)

TECHNISOFT RAM-BOard-1
	Has anyone bought this product?  It is a 2 Meg RAM expansion.
The prices quoted in the January AMIGA WORLD were $499 for the 2Meg
board and 3 empty sockets, and $299 for each additional 2Meg (to
go in the sockets), for a maximum of 8 Meg.

	Are there any wait states?  Is this price believable?
That would make its list price even less than mail-order prices
of other comparable boards.

CSA 20Meg hard disk
	Has anyone bought this product?  List is $895.  Could we have
a review?
--
  -- Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
			barrett@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa

beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP (03/11/87)

                      ^----- This is important for later!

>	Has anyone bought this product?  It is a 2 Meg RAM expansion.
>The prices quoted in the January AMIGA WORLD were $499 for the 2Meg
>board and 3 empty sockets, and $299 for each additional 2Meg (to
>go in the sockets), for a maximum of 8 Meg.
>
>	Are there any wait states?  Is this price believable?
>That would make its list price even less than mail-order prices
>of other comparable boards.

>--
>  -- Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
>			barrett@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa

Answers:
 - My co-worker and I (The Man From S.P.U.D.) both have the RAM-BOard 2
   (notice the 2!). They were $599.95 + $5.00 S&H. It took quite a while
   for them to arrive, but they finally came. Have worked flawlessly for
   several months at 24 hrs/day duty cycle (on all the time). Construction
   is better than most things I have seen for the Amiga (which is not to
   say that it is good.)

 - The 2Meg upgrades are $399.95 each. And you can put up to 8 Meg in the
   one box (it sits on top of the Amiga and under the monitor).

 - There are no wait states, as far as we can tell (i.e. fast ram is
   really faster than chip ram).

 - The RAM-BOard 1 (notice the 1!) was being sold for $499.95, but came
   as 1Meg expandable to 4Meg in 1Meg increments for $299.95 each. I do
   not know if these are still being sold... The last ads for expansion
   equipment show only the RAM-BOard 2. I suggest calling them in Utah.

If you have any questions let me know I will try to answer them.

				Bob

   ... ihnp4!pur-ee!beatyr      <- usenet
  ... beatyr@ed.ecn.purdue.edu  <- arpa-net
   ... beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP       <- UUCP