[comp.sys.amiga] 8.5 Meg RAM

jxc@rayssd.UUCP (03/12/87)

And rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) replies:

 >Hold on a second.  Yes, in a standard Amiga 1000, only about 8.5 Meg is left
 >available for RAM, but this limit is only because of the 68000 processor.

(You're getting warmer...)

The MEMORY MAP for the Amiga has 8.5 Meg RESERVED for RAM.

This mapping was determined by Commodore-Amiga.  The total address space of
the 68000 is actually 24 bits (16 Meg).  For the A1000 memory map you can look
at the original article previewing the Amiga 1000 in BYTE.  You will see that
C-A reserved various sections of the total address space for devices and
other (some unnamed) purposes.  The 8.5 Mbyte limit is C-A's, not the 68000's.

It is likely that the memory map also exists in some form in the Technical
Manuals.

The Amiga's addressable memory is not limited by this 8.5 Mb mapping, however.
We have already seen people slopping extra memory into the reserved Chip
address space.  Other reserved areas could be used for memory also (at your
own risk).
   |  Jeffrey Jay Clesius,  Raytheon Submarine Signal Division    |
   |  1847 West Main Road,  Mail Stop 188                         |
   |  Portsmouth, RI  02871-1087  (401) 847-8000 (X4015)          |
   |  { allegra | gatech | mirror | raybed2 } -----\              |
   |  { linus   | ihnp4  | uiucdcs } --------------->!rayssd!jxc  |

"Just say... 'NO, NO, NO!'"

Legend for text lines: