[comp.sys.amiga] INFO-AMIGA Digest V2 #22

daemon@rutgers.UUCP (03/12/87)

From: Thomka.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM

Well, I had bought the CMI KickStart Eliminator.
----------
That's the KickStart 1.2 in four 27512 ROMs (total = 256k bytes), to be
installed on the already alloted space on the motherboard.  Which then
frees up the 256K bytes of KickRAM so that you can AddMem that and
expand your Amiga to a total of 768K.
----------
I had a few problems, but the only significant one, that you might run
up against,  was that my internal disk drive was made by NEC.  The
problem is that two of the ROMs are best installed on sockets (two are
already there for the boot ROMs, and this kit gives you two more sockets
for the additional ROMs).  The NEC drive is built a bit too low to allow
for sockets.  You can solder the ROMs down onto the motherboard but I
didn't want to do that because that keeps me from easily upgrading to
any new KickStart (1.3?, 2.0?) when and if it becomes available.

The solution to my problem was provided by a person out there in netland
(sorry, I lost his name, else I'd give credit).  He suggested that maybe
my external drive was not NEC, and maybe by swapping them I could get
the desired space.
Well the external drive was made by Mitsubishi and sure enough, it would
allow for the sockets!
I swapped the drives and had one problem there.  The 34pin data cable as
plugged into the Mitsubishi drive is backwards from the way it is
plugged ito the NEC.  But a simple twist of the cable solved that
problem.  The 4pin power cable was identical, no problem there.

So now, in less than 4 seconds after I turn power on, the WorkBench disk
is starting to be read.  No more swapping of disks to get the machine
running.  Plus, if I want to, I can add the otherwise unused 256k RAM by
a simple line in the StartUp-Sequence (or I could just type in any CLI
window):
   AddMem 0f80000 0fbffff

Then I'll see the message "262144 bytes added to free memory" and also
see the memory space increase a corresponding amount.

There may be times I wouldn't want to add the addition 256k.  Some early
programs (I've found some Commodore demos - Boing! and Robo City - are
like this) were written by unsighted individuals, that did not think
anybody would have more than a 512k Amiga.  Hence, they did not provide
for internal Chip memory (the first 512k) allocation.  They are written,
assuming that they would always run from within that Chip memory.
(CMI also provides two other possible solutions;
a FixHunk program that will modify your program,
and another that is called RamOn\Off which will allocate all that
KickRAM area, so that a program would not be placed there.)

But any of those badly behaved programs would have problems with any
"larger than 512k" Amiga.  This is not a problem exclusive to the CMI
KickStart Eliminator.

If you want additional info about the ROM kit you can call the company
(of which I am not connected in ANY way):
Creative Microsystems Inc.
10110 Southwest Nimbus
Tigard, OR; 97223

Talk to Mark.

	Chuck

page@ulowell.UUCP (03/12/87)

>From: Thomka.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM
>(I've found some Commodore demos - Boing! and Robo City - are
>like this) were written by unsighted individuals

Woah!  The people who wrote those *designed* the Amiga.  Can you call
that unsighted?

They were written a long time ago, in the heat and confusion of a major
trade show.  Have you ever written code in demo mode?  When you're in
demo mode, software engineering is a crock.  It doesn't sell computers.
Be thankful you *have* those demos, and the Amiga.

Cooling off -

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <1133@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>>From: Thomka.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM
>>(I've found some Commodore demos - Boing! and Robo City - are
>>like this) were written by unsighted individuals
>
>Woah!  The people who wrote those *designed* the Amiga.  Can you call
>that unsighted?
>
>They were written a long time ago...

Amen - boing and robo city were written before there was even much of an
operating system, let alone expansion hardware.  Demo are usually tossed
off in a hurry and only minimally maintained.

There's also an enhanced 1.1 dealer demo disk around that has updated versions
of some of the demos.  It's the one where boing has a speed control via the
right button instead of just on/off.  Also has a thing called Amiga 3-d that
you can fly with a joystick.