[comp.sys.amiga] UUCP on the amiga

mwm@eris.UUCP (03/14/87)

In article <551@puff.WISC.EDU> avery@puff.WISC.EDU (Aaron Avery) writes:
>     A friend of mine and I have toyed with the idea of putting a uucp on
>the amiga. As near as we can tell, not only isn't source available (at a
>'reasonable' cost, and understandable), there doesn't even seem to be a
>protocol description available. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as
>this doesn't seem reasonable.

Essentialy correct. Barring the HDB UUCP which I haven't looked at,
source to UUCP means getting a Unix source license. The only
description of the protocol is a Lauren Weinstein (sp?) paper from a
Usenix a couple of years ago, and he now says that it is wrong.

The HDB UUCP is available from the AT&T Toolkit. I think it also
requires a SysV source license, and costs several thousand $'s. I
doubt if there's a protocol description.

Of course, porting UUCP (if you could get the source) is possible. But
UUCP is _UGLY_.  Second only to the C/80 printf code.

An alternative might be to get ACSNET. This is the Australian answer
to UUCPNet. I Htink it's free. You then have to convince a feed to run
it for you.

Note that netnews and UUCP are not the same thing. You can get netnews
without UUCP (we do), and without Unix (it runs on the mostly VM & VMS
BITNet). If you really want Netnews on your Amiga, get the AmeriStar
TCP/IP implementation, and port rrn (which can be had for free, I
suspect). While you're at it, make sure your Unix system runs POP, and
write a POP client for the Amiga so you can read mail from it.

One alternative I've looked into (for feeding VMS netnews, not for the
Amiga) is a kermit-based netnews feed. Hmmm - given the vt100 script
facility, that wouldn't be to hard.....

Sigh. I'm _not_ going to do that, though. If you're interested enough
to tackle it, let me know (by _mail_), and I'll write up a description
of what has to happen at both ends for you. Please let me know how
much you know about _running_ a netnews site.

	<mike

--
But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm