[comp.sys.amiga] Working VT100 2.6?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (03/03/87)

If someone gets VT100 2.6 compiled succesfully, would you be so kind
as to mail me a copy of the executable?

Thanks.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (03/05/87)

in article <11@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) says:

> If someone gets VT100 2.6 compiled succesfully, would you be so kind
> as to mail me a copy of the executable?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
> UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
> Alternate:      {ihnp4,seismo}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!esunix!blgardne
Me too!

--
#include <std-disclaimer.h>
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee mmm

beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke) (03/06/87)

In article <11@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> If someone gets VT100 2.6 compiled succesfully, would you be so kind
> as to mail me a copy of the executable?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
> UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
> Alternate:      {ihnp4,seismo}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!esunix!blgardne

   Here's an idea.  Why don't we all ask Dave Wecker (The Author) to send

an executable with his source?  We all wouldn't have to compile it ourselves,

and those of us who do not have a compiler would be able to use it.

A simple uuencoded executable would be quite satisfactory.  We could just

use the uudecoder on Fish Disk ~41.  So Dave, here's my vote.  PLEASE send

an executable with your source.

   Thank You,

     //   Matt Beilke
  \\//    {hplabs, topaz, caip, seismo}!uwvax!puff!beilke

kgschlueter@watrose.UUCP (03/08/87)

Maybe someone should just post it.

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/10/87)

In article <540@puff.WISC.EDU> beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke) writes:

>				...So Dave, here's my vote.  PLEASE send
>an executable with your source.

What he said...

keith

sanchez@gmu90x.UUCP (03/11/87)

I agree that it would be nice if dave posted a uuecoded version to the
net, but I want to know why the thing doesn't work when I compile it
with Lattice.  I get lots of weird problems but, in general, it has to do
with requestors at funny times(at the end of scripts) and file
transfers not working at all(to/from unix kermit).  I want to modify
the menues and a few other things but not if the original version
doesn't work.

Jim Sanchez

sdl@linus.UUCP (03/13/87)

> I agree that it would be nice if dave posted a uuecoded version to the
> net, but I want to know why the thing doesn't work when I compile it
> with Lattice.  I get lots of weird problems but, in general, it has to do
> with requestors at funny times(at the end of scripts) and file
> transfers not working at all(to/from unix kermit).  I want to modify
> the menues and a few other things but not if the original version
> doesn't work.

I've also had the problem with UNIX Kermit, even with VT100 version
2.4 (when I compiled it with Lattice).  When I attempt to transfer an
ASCII text file from a UNIX VAX to my Amiga, the transfer seems to
work OK, but the file ends up on my Amiga as a lot of random binary
gibberish.  Neither CRLF nor Image mode work.  So I've temporarily
gone back to XMODEM.

Before I attempt to compile VT100 v2.6 thru Lattice, does anyone have
any suggestions for this problem?  Thanx in advance!!

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

spencer@mica.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <807@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
>  When I attempt to transfer an
>ASCII text file from a UNIX VAX to my Amiga, the transfer seems to
>work OK, but the file ends up on my Amiga as a lot of random binary
>gibberish.  Neither CRLF nor Image mode work.  So I've temporarily
>gone back to XMODEM.

>Steven Litvintchouk

I have said it before:

Setting any file transfer values on the receiving Kermit is meaningless.
The sending Kermit checks its values (file type binary aka Image, etc.)
and then sends a packet to the receiving Kermit saying that the transfer
will take place using these values.  The receiving Kermit tells sending
Kermit which of those it can't do (some Kermits don't know compression
or 8-th bit quoting) and the transfer begins.  To get a file from Unix
to the Amiga intact (binary) you should start Kermit and then tell it:
  "set file type binary"
If you go from VMS to the Amiga (or Unix to an IBM PC) and are sending
text you need to:
  "set file type text"
This will change the CR/LF values of your machine to the receiving machine.
Unix and the Amiga use LF for EOLN (end of line) so "binary" (no change)
work fine.  VMS uses CR/LF so you get ^M's (control-M's) or carriage returns
added to each line (double line spacing).  Mac (I think) only uses CR with
no LF, so files going either way end up with no line breaks unless you use
"text" mode.

Just trying to clear up any confusion with my favorite program.
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

stever@videovax.UUCP (03/16/87)

In article <807@linus.UUCP>, Steven D. Litvintchouk (sdl@linus.UUCP) writes:

> . . .

> I've also had the problem with UNIX Kermit, even with VT100 version
> 2.4 (when I compiled it with Lattice).  When I attempt to transfer an
> ASCII text file from a UNIX VAX to my Amiga, the transfer seems to
> work OK, but the file ends up on my Amiga as a lot of random binary
> gibberish.  Neither CRLF nor Image mode work.  So I've temporarily
> gone back to XMODEM.
>
> Before I attempt to compile VT100 v2.6 thru Lattice, does anyone have
> any suggestions for this problem?  Thanx in advance!!

A serious, straight-faced [ 8^| ] suggestion -- get a copy of Amiga Kermit!
For large file transfers, it's hard to beat!

I use vt100 version 2.4, compiled with Lattice 3.03, for terminal emulation
and enjoy it.  I have had no problems with it (other than not having the
time to dig into it and find out why it doesn't auto-wrap).  But Amiga
Kermit has the ability to control transfers from a "take file" -- a file
containing a sequence of Kermit commands.  I have a shell script on our
VAX to generate the script, so I can copy a disk-full while I sleep.

I have had no problems with Amiga Kermit on either ASCII or binary files.
(Well, one slight problem -- on certain ASCII files, the trailing newline
is omitted.  Make the file one character longer and it transfers correctly.
Annoying, but not very serious.)  I have version 4D(060) on my Amiga and
4D(061) on the VAX.  Try it.  You'll like it.

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.TV.TEK.COM
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever