[comp.sys.amiga] A patch to a compiler I haven't got!

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <2740@well.UUCP> manx@well.UUCP (Jim Goodnow II) writes:
>A bug in the 3.4a compiler which was found when compiling vt100 vers 2.6
>is fixed by the following patch program which will be updated if and when
>any other bugs are reported.

I was just going to sit patiently and wait for my 3.40a Commercial
version to arrive. After all, I've been patient since March 1986.
But I'm afraid this patch blew a fuse is my head.
Yeah, I know, many will be sure I never had a fuse....or head..

I paid 500 some odd bucks 13 monthes ago for a compiler. Good one, not
great, but good,  and waited for updates.  And waited, and waited, and
waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,
and.... you get the idea.

Now I'm  getting patches for a compiler that, as far as I can tell, does
NOT exist!   Gimme a break!
What are the odds that I receive the 3.4 update (within this decade)
that has the patch already installed?  Damn slim I'll bet (on both
counts).

Sheesh................

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

tas@mtuxo.UUCP (03/12/87)

Apparently Manx expects you to call them to order their complier upgrade.
I called 201-389-0290; from outside of NJ I guess one would call
800-221-0440.  Just give them your serial number, and they'll promise
delivery in 4-5 weeks.

Tom Skrobala  AT&T  mtuxo!tas

manx@well.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <2547@mtuxo.UUCP> tas@mtuxo.UUCP (t.skrobala) writes:
>Apparently Manx expects you to call them to order their complier upgrade.
>I called 201-389-0290; from outside of NJ I guess one would call
>800-221-0440.  Just give them your serial number, and they'll promise
>delivery in 4-5 weeks.
>
>Tom Skrobala  AT&T  mtuxo!tas

Actually, all updates will be sent to registered users automatically.
However, there are quite a few updates to be sent out. If you call the
201-389-0290 number, and give them your registration number, they will
pull you out of the normal order (whatever that is) and send it sooner.
If everyone calls, of course, this will have no effect, but then there
must be at least a few people who don't read netnews. ;^)

billd@crash.UUCP (03/13/87)

[]

I got tired of waiting for the update myself and called Manx the
other day.  They said that all of the 3.40a updates should be shipped
to commercial licensees within 6 weeks, I said that I didn't think was
very fast, and was told that if I would give them my license number
they would put me on the "priority" list and that I should have it within
two weeks.  So I gave them the number, and we'll see.

They have a separate number for the update stuff it is (201)389-0290.

--
    _   /|
    \`o_O'

(serious self-portrait?)

Opinion?  I thought you said onions.

UUCP:	{akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd
ARPA:	crash!billd@nosc
INET:	billd@crash.CTS.COM

--
    _   /|
    \`o_O'
      ( )    Aachk! Phft!

(serious self-portrait?)

Opinion?  I thought you said onions.

UUCP:	{akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd
ARPA:	crash!billd@nosc
INET:	billd@crash.CTS.COM

cjp@vax135.UUCP (03/13/87)

Get that fuse replaced, Jeff.  Manx is definitely shipping 3.40a,  I
got mine two weeks ago (tho living 5 miles from the Manx office may
have helped).  As to paying $500 and getting no update yet: according
to Manx president Harry Suchow, Commercial owners, and Developer owners
who pay ~ $50 to upgrade (I'm not so certain about the latter) will be
receiving, FREE, a source-level debugger in addition to the standard
upgrade.  (It reportedly won't be ready for "a couple" of months though).
This should be a nice bonus, no?  Support for the source-level debugger
in already included in 3.40a, in the form of a compiler (linker?) option to
produce the required auxiliary file; so apparently they are serious about
this.

	Charles Poirier

walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <580@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@aurora.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:

>I paid 500 some odd bucks 13 monthes ago for a compiler. Good one, not
>great, but good,  and waited for updates.  And waited, and waited, and
>waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,
>and.... you get the idea.
>
>Now I'm  getting patches for a compiler that, as far as I can tell, does
>NOT exist!   Gimme a break!
>What are the odds that I receive the 3.4 update (within this decade)
>that has the patch already installed?  Damn slim I'll bet (on both
>counts).

I think Jeff has a valid point.  I wrote a printed letter to Manx
complaining about exactly this sort of thing in early December, and
got nothing back.  On the other hand, Marco Papa apparently got a
set of Lattice libraries compiled just for him so he could use
ALINK overlays instead of BLINK.
     On the other hand, I phoned in a VISA number for charging the
$50 for my developer's package update on a Wednesday, and got the
update the following Tuesday.  I agree with Jeff that he shouldn't
have to spend his own money to find out when he's going to get an
update for which he's already paid, though.

cjp@vax135.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <2547@mtuxo.UUCP> tas@mtuxo.UUCP (t.skrobala) writes:
>Apparently Manx expects you to call them to order their complier upgrade.
>I called 201-389-0290; from outside of NJ I guess one would call
>800-221-0440.  Just give them your serial number, and they'll promise
>delivery in 4-5 weeks.

When I called in February inquiring after 3.40a, they asked if I was a
Commercial owner and when I said yes, they indicated that I was automatically
going to be shipped the upgrade.  This came to pass (although I did have to
call again when my upgrade arrived sans manual; this has been corrected).
Suchow at Manx says Developer owners are also scheduled to get free upgrades.
I can't say whether they have to call in first.
Perhaps (I speculate) shipping precedence is being given to Commercial owners.

	Charles Poirier

sean@ukma.UUCP (03/14/87)

In article <1799@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>When I called in February inquiring after 3.40a, they asked if I was a
>Commercial owner and when I said yes, they indicated that I was automatically
>going to be shipped the upgrade.  This came to pass (although I did have to
>call again when my upgrade arrived sans manual; this has been corrected).
>Suchow at Manx says Developer owners are also scheduled to get free upgrades.
>I can't say whether they have to call in first.
>Perhaps (I speculate) shipping precedence is being given to Commercial owners.

That is correct.  They are shipping to commercial licenses first (you get what
you pay for).  They expect to have all the commercial versions shipped by the
end of March.  If you haven't gotten it by then, give them a call and ask why.

Sean
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
		ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

kjb@nancy (Ken Basye) (03/16/87)

In article <2547@mtuxo.UUCP> tas@mtuxo.UUCP (t.skrobala) writes:
>Apparently Manx expects you to call them to order their complier upgrade.
>I called 201-389-0290; from outside of NJ I guess one would call
>800-221-0440.  Just give them your serial number, and they'll promise
>delivery in 4-5 weeks.
>Tom Skrobala  AT&T  mtuxo!tas

I don't know what you were promised, but I was promised (and got) mine
in less than a week.  I've read several complaints about Axtec's
update policy here, but I have none.  When I read (also here) that
3.40a had been released, I called the toll free number, got another
number (not toll free), called it and ordered the update ( I paid the
$50 for the extra utils) and got it in 5 days.  I don't know about the
people complaining, but I'd rather they let me worry about contacting
them for updates, and spend their time working on 3.x (x > 4).
	While I'm here, I would like to ask if anyone else who got the
third disk with the utilities on it had any trouble with the demos
included.  When I saw them I was really pleased, and the most
important one (to me) compiled fine (vt100).  But some of the others,
including the shell (2.04M ?) compiled but crashed the machine almost
immediately.  Is it my breath?  I have about as vanilla a system as you
can imagine, 512, 2 drives, no other addons.
	Thanks for listening,
			Ken
(no aztec affiliation)

			UUCP	   {ihnp4|allegra|decvax}!brunix!kjb
			ARPA	   kjb%cs.brown.edu@relay.cs.net
			CSNET	   kjb@cs.brown.edu
			U.S. MAIL  Ken Basye
				   Box 1910