[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG rrd bug

fdfishman@watcgl.UUCP (03/10/87)

  I Think I have found a bug in the ASDG ram disk. (Or Manx) Firstly
  I am using a  standard  brand new Amiga 1000 with a Comspec Ax2000
  2 meg upgrade (I like it) with Manx 3.30c.

  I  have the rrd set to  1.1 meg of fast and I keep a c,lib and src
  directory in it.

  My  problem  is  this:  I am  working on a program using a 640x400
  screen  with several subwindows  with gadgets.  If my program were
  to  hang in such a way that I can  not access a gadget or other IO
  (i.e..  if I were to enter an infinite loop with gadgets active),
  and  then control  amiga-amiga to softboot, I discover that my rrd
  is empty.  And all my rrd files are lost.

  I  think that the  rrd is a great tool and my check will be in the
  mail as soon as I can get it to work with my system.

  p.s..  has  anybody  tried to  use firstsilicon with manx?  When I
  type make I get a system crash.

  (I wonder if it is just bad karma)
--
FDFISHMAN (Flynn D. Fishman) @ WATCGL (but you can call me Flynn)
	UUCP  :	...!{decvax|ihnp4|clyde|allegra|utzoo}!watmath!watcgl!fdfishman

mmcp@vice.UUCP (03/11/87)

I use the ASDG RRD to hold all of TDI's Modula-2 symbol and link
files during compilation.  RRD size is set a 1 megabyte, and the
files occupy about 800K of this space; Amy has 1.5 megabytes total
memory.  Routine resets reveal an empty vd0:.  It is not necessary
to hang the machine in order to accomplish this.  I had supposed
that the compiler (which has some known bugs) might be responsible
for doing this, but perhaps it's an RRD bug?

Other than this single (but annoying) peccadillo, the RRD is
wonderful and greatly appreciated.  It survives routine resets
perfectly when files totalling < 500K or so are present and has
exhibited no other problems.

       --  Mark  --

perry@sfsup.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <708@watcgl.UUCP>, fdfishman@watcgl.UUCP writes:

>   I  have the rrd set to  1.1 meg of fast and I keep a c,lib and src
>   directory in it.
>
>   My  problem  is  this:  I am  working on a program using a 640x400
>   screen  with several subwindows  with gadgets.  If my program were
>   to  hang in such a way that I can  not access a gadget or other IO
>   (i.e..  if I were to enter an infinite loop with gadgets active),
>   and  then control  amiga-amiga to softboot, I discover that my rrd
>   is empty.  And all my rrd files are lost.

Your situation cannot  have anything to do with the RRD per se. Maybe
you have a bad ram chip, or the program is actually writing to memory
and scribbles on the RRD?

Was another task  writing  to  the RRD when you hit reset? If you kill
a write right in the middle, it will leave a bogus sector (as it would
on a floppy).

The RRD checks the ram disk out  very  very completely.  If  anything's
changed during the reset, you'll know about it. It uses sections of ram
boards that otherwize aren't accessed much.

A lot of people mistakenly  think the RRD doesn't work, when the culprit
is really weak ram chips that you haven't run into yet. I would strongly
suggest that when you find the  RRD didn't recover, don't assume the rrd
doesn't work (or it decided on a fluke  not  to  work this time) rather,
consider it a warning that something else on your machine is failing.

Given the same environment, the RRD will recover 100 percent of the time.
No exceptions.  If it doesn't recover, something's going on that you want
to know about.

>   I  think that the  rrd is a great tool and my check will be in the
>   mail as soon as I can get it to work with my system.

It seems to me you already  have  it working on your system (since you
indicate that it works whenever your program doesn't crash).

Perry Kivolowitz

walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <1483@vice.TEK.COM> mmcp@vice.UUCP (Mark McPherson) writes:
>I use the ASDG RRD to hold all of TDI's Modula-2 symbol and link
>files during compilation.  RRD size is set a 1 megabyte, and the
>files occupy about 800K of this space; Amy has 1.5 megabytes total
>memory.  Routine resets reveal an empty vd0:.  It is not necessary
>to hang the machine in order to accomplish this.  I had supposed
>that the compiler (which has some known bugs) might be responsible
>for doing this, but perhaps it's an RRD bug?

I thought I had the same problem on my system (512K RRD with 1 Meg
Amiga).  As Perry Kivilowitz explained to me, that isn't the problem
at all.  AmigaDOS puts some of its own data structures (100+K worth)
in the low end of your fast memory on bootup.  So, if you try to create
a 1 MB RRD on a 1.5MB machine, the RRD "borrows" chip RAM to do the job.
Under these conditions, the RRD often doesn't recover.  Moral:  follow
Perry's recommended maximum size in his Mountlist as posted;  they're
there for a reason.
    Mild flame:  On a related topic, I was shocked to hear that only
about 20 people have sent ASDG $10 for the RRD.  There must be hundreds
of you out there using it, and if you don't send in the $10, you'll
never get anything like it again.  (Yes, I am one of the 20.)

						Steve Walton

cjp@vax135.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <2028@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Steve Walton) writes:
>    Mild flame:  On a related topic, I was shocked to hear that only
>about 20 people have sent ASDG $10 for the RRD.

Perry showed great good will to the Amiga community by posting his RRD.
But good will only goes so far if you are trying to earn a living on
these things.  RRD is simply the most valuable utility ever written for
the Amiga (narrowly beating PopCLI II and DiskSalv).
Don't be cheap, send $10 today, cash, check, or Treasury Bills, to
Perry Kivolowitz, 280 River Road Suite #54A, Piscataway, NJ 08854.

	Charles Poirier

perry@sfsup.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <1483@vice.TEK.COM>, mmcp@vice.UUCP writes:
> I use the ASDG RRD to hold all of TDI's Modula-2 symbol and link
> files during compilation.  RRD size is set a 1 megabyte, and the
> files occupy about 800K of this space; Amy has 1.5 megabytes total
> memory.  Routine resets reveal an empty vd0:.  It is not necessary

> wonderful and greatly appreciated.  It survives routine resets
> perfectly when files totalling < 500K or so are present and has
> exhibited no other problems.

The information you have supplied tells me several things:

1) You have 1 megabyte  of non-chip ram. Then you total ram disk size
   should not be 1 megabyte. Check the suggested HiCyl for a 1 meg of
   memory system.

   Remember, other things go into Fast ram besides the rrd!

2) Your problem  is  probably centered around incorrect max sizing of
   the ram disk.

3) However, there is the  distinct possibility that you have a bad ram
   chip somewhere near the  middle  of  your address space. Since 500K
   works fine, and you intimate that 600 does not, somewhere in between
   is either a bad  ram chip or where your incorrect sizing is getting
   you in trouble.

4) Are you a registered owner? Please become one. Thanks.

Perry

mmcp@vice.UUCP (03/15/87)

In article <2028@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Steve Walton) writes:

[...Summary of my posting regarding loss of RRD contents during warm
boot..followed by]

>I thought I had the same problem on my system (512K RRD with 1 Meg
>Amiga).  As Perry Kivilowitz explained to me, that isn't the problem
>at all.  AmigaDOS puts some of its own data structures (100+K worth)
>in the low end of your fast memory on bootup.  So, if you try to create
>a 1 MB RRD on a 1.5MB machine, the RRD "borrows" chip RAM to do the job.
>Under these conditions, the RRD often doesn't recover.  Moral:  follow
>Perry's recommended maximum size in his Mountlist as posted;  they're
>there for a reason.
>    Mild flame:  On a related topic, I was shocked to hear that only
>about 20 people have sent ASDG $10 for the RRD.  There must be hundreds
>of you out there using it, and if you don't send in the $10, you'll
>never get anything like it again.  (Yes, I am one of the 20.)
>
>						Steve Walton

Wellll....I read Perry's documentation in the RRD Mountlist entry and
resized HighCyl from 127 to 95 as the documentation suggests it
should be.........hey presto, no more problems with the RRD
evaporating during warm resets.  Works like a champ, every time!

On the theory that software like this which *really* works is cheap
at twice the price (as long as the price is reasonable) I'm going to
send Perry $20.  Seems little enough to pay for something that saves
your butt every single time you have to reboot.......(and when I consider
how much I've paid for stuff that *didn't* work......).  This is a
program that really ought to be supported financially by the Amiga community.

But now I don't have enough space for all the stuff I need to dump
to the RRD!  Hey, Perry, got any nifty software to give me, oh, an
extra megabyte or so of memory? 8-)

	   --  Mark  --

In article <2028@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Steve Walton) writes:
>    Mild flame:  On a related topic, I was shocked to hear that only
>about 20 people have sent ASDG $10 for the RRD.  There must be hundreds
>of you out there using it, and if you don't send in the $10, you'll
>never get anything like it again.  (Yes, I am one of the 20.)
>
>						Steve Walton

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use it so far.  Perry, any chance
you'll fix it to work with the Chris Erving internal memory mods?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

cjp@vax135.UUCP (03/16/87)

In article <1489@vice.TEK.COM> mmcp@vice.UUCP (Mark McPherson) writes:
>...I'm going to
>send Perry $20.  Seems little enough to pay for something that saves
>your butt every single time you have to reboot...

I did this too.  Yes it does work like a champ if you follow the
directions.

I've found RRD to be a tremendous help in program development.  There's
enough room in my vd0: to store lots of nice utilities but there's no
room for these utilities on my Manx compiler disk.  So, I first boot
my Workbench which starts up from a script which loads all the utilities
I want into vd0:.  Then I pop in Manx and reboot (to set up all the
Manxish thingies) and still have those utilities on-line!  Great stuff.

	Charles Poirier

philip@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) (03/18/87)

In article <1435@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
(speaking of the ASDG RRD)
>Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use it so far.  Perry, any chance
>you'll fix it to work with the Chris Erving internal memory mods?

Whoa!  This is something new to me!  Is it true that the RRD does not
work with the Amazing Computing (alias Cris Erving) 512K upgrade?  This
seriously affects the value of the upgrade.  I was under the impression
that the 512K worked fairly well and with almost all programs (I know that
it does not autoconfig).  So can someone please clear up this confusion?
I was all set to download RRD, send Perry $10 (cheap at twice the price)
and do the A-C upgrade.  Maybe Perry can list the expansions that the RRD
works with for those of us who missed the posting (or repost?).

Peter Philip

Any opinions expressed are entirely mine.  MINE! MINE! MINE!
I just go to Dalhousie, so blame anything offensive on me, not them.