[comp.sys.amiga] MIPS, Turbo Amiga, Mac II

PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM (Aubrey Sparkman) (03/06/87)

Help anyone...

I DON'T UNDERSTAND MIPS.

CSA advertises an expansion box that includes a 14 MHz 68020/6881 combination
and claims a 1 Mip rating.  I read yesterday in ELECTRONIC ENGEERING TIMES
that the new MAC is rated at 2 Mips with a 16 MHz 68020/6881 combination.

10 % increase in cpu speed can't give a doubling in MIPS can it?  Where did I
lose it?

I am NOT interested in a Mac vs Amiga war, only an understanding on MIP rating.

Thanks all,

Aubrey Sparkman
-------

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) (03/08/87)

In article <12284247071.70.PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM> PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM (Aubrey Sparkman) writes:
>Help anyone...	I DON'T UNDERSTAND MIPS.

Not uncommon. MIPS is best interpreted as "Mythical Instructions Per
Second." Problems include: What's an instruction; how do you count
them; cacheing of instructions; page faults; etc., etc., etc. The best
way to treat MIPS claims in ads is as advertising hype. Wade through
the net.arch archives for details.

>CSA advertises an expansion box that includes a 14 MHz 68020/68881 combination
>and claims a 1 Mip rating.

The ad I'm looking at (page 48 of the March/April '87 AmigaWorld)
claims that it meets the CMU MMM specs, making it at least a 1 MIPS
box (of course, it don't got a million pixels). Given a rought rating
of .6 MIPS for a 68000 Amiga (C dhrystones, based on Unix PCC), and
the 120% increase claim, you get a 1.32 MIPS machine.

>I read yesterday in ELECTRONIC ENGEERING TIMES
>that the new MAC is rated at 2 Mips with a 16 MHz 68020/6881 combination.
>10 % increase in cpu speed can't give a doubling in MIPS can it?  Where did I
>lose it?

That 120% increase is for the Turbo-Amiga processor alone. It's still
running on 16-bit wide memory. The Mac has only 32-bit wide memory.
How much difference that makes will depend on the processor
architecture. I think 30% is about right for 68K style architechtures,
which would make that 1.32 MIPS box a 1.82+ box.

	<mike, master of the art of hand-waving mathematics
But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm
I'll avert my eyes, keep you off my knee,		mwm@berkeley.edu
But it feels so good when you talk to me.		mwm@ucbjade.BITNET

bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) (03/10/87)

If it's any help, MIPS is an arbitrary unit of intructions per seconds for
CPUS. This is noramlly optimized for any given tested computer.

For example, the test that scored the 80386 at three to four MIPs tested noops.

--- Not Kidding ----

-Jim Becker
Terrapin Software

billk@crash.UUCP (03/12/87)

Oh.  I thought MIPS was Million Instructions Per Second.  You know, 5 MIPS
meant 5 million instructions per second.  Is that wrong?

By the way, I've got a Novix SC4000 which will do (at 8 MhZ) 5 MIPS.
Pretty snazzy little dude.  It's a Forth engine.  You don't program in
Assembler on this thing, or, rather, programming in Forth on this little
bugger is like programming in assembler on a 'normal' processor.

Interesting little thing...

Bill Kelly

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (03/12/87)

in article <897@crash.CTS.COM>, billk@pnet01.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) says:

> Oh.  I thought MIPS was Million Instructions Per Second.  You know, 5 MIPS
> meant 5 million instructions per second.  Is that wrong?
> Bill Kelly

No that's correct.  But its still an arbitrary measurement.  We all know
what a "second" is, but what's an "instruction".  If you were benchmarking
the 80386 chip, you might decide to calculate how many NOPs the chip can
execute per second.  A 68020 benchmarker might choose to do something a
little more useful, like benchmark the number of add instructions per
second the chip can perform.  But do you want 8, 16, or 32 bit adds?
Register to register or memory to register?  So then we start talking about
things like average and peak MIPS.  Peak is probably the number of the
fastest instruction of any kind (maybe a NOP) that can be executed in a
second.  Average?  Well, it could be a simple average of all possible
instructions in all possible addressing modes.  But that drags the performance
down with all kinds of powerful-yet-esoteric instructions that take a long
time to run and are rarely used in real life.  So you can see that in
practical terms a MIPS figure without lots of further information can be
pretty meaningless.  By the way, did I mention that the C128 can run at over
1 MIPS?
Dave Haynie     Commodore Technology              // /|  ___   __   __   __
  {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh          |\  // /_|     | /  \ /  \ /  \
Commodore rarely admits to knowing me,        \\// /  |  +--+ |  | |  | |  |
  much less sharing my personal opinions.      \/ /   |  |___ \__/ \__/ \__/

tim@ism780c.UUCP (03/14/87)

In article <2743@well.UUCP> bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) writes:

>For example, the test that scored the 80386 at three to four MIPs tested noops.
>
>--- Not Kidding ----

Oh yeah?  Well I just did a benchmark that did more than noops ( I did
a loop that did an addition of two memory variables, and stored the
result in a memory variable.  The loop index was in a register ),
and got 3 MIPS.

I was running on a production 80386 board from Intel, under Unix
System V.3, with two other users on the system.  They were both
just editing, so they shouldn't have slowed me down much.

On the other hand, what you say may not be wrong.  Running my
benchamark with the addition removed gave 3.1 MIPS.  I guess
the 386 either has a fast addition or a slow nop! :-)
--
Religion: just say "no"

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

dvmark@cca.UUCP (03/14/87)

Don't feel bad, there is much confusion about MIPS.  I have had to deal with
this for 15 years (notice my gray beard showing :^)= ).  IBM use to quote
Millions of Instructions Per Second ratings on new machines years ago.  They
*ACTUALLY* sampled some real user's old 360 mainframes and got a standard
mix of instructions to use as a standard benchmark for IBM machines.  The
instruction set chosen contained a mix of binary arithmetic, address
manipulation, character handling (strings to you C kind of guys) and packed
decimal arithmetic.  These were really good benchmarks, and gave useful
MIPS ratings within the IBM mainframe line.

However, competition killed the good benchmark.  Sadly, IBM refuses to run
their standard benchmark on newer machines.  What happened is that some
mainframe competitors started running benchmarks with NOPs in a loop and
reported twice the MIPS of IBM's machines (though the IBM machines were
really faster).  This is like deja-vu with the INTEL 80386 claim of 3-4 MIPS
(really NOPs) better than 68020 (running a good instruction set mix).

IBM's official line is:  MIPS stands for Meaningless Indicator of Performance.
IBM refuses to quote MIPS anymore.  Anyone can create a benchmark that favors
their machine and beat someone else's honest MIPS rating taken to try to
explain to customers how much faster the new machine is than the old one.

To help answer the question, assuming the same bus width (16 or 32 bits), and
that all parts of the system are upgraded in step (if your CPU is running
faster, you better have memory that doesn't hold up the CPU), a 14 mhz machine
will be twice the speed of a 7 mhz machine.  This only applies to an identical
hardware architecture.  The Amiga has hardware assists (in it's custom chips)
for some heavily CPU intensive stuff like graphics and sound that the Mac has
to do all in software.  That is why equivalent benchmarks on the 7.14 mhz
Amiga are better than the 8 mhz Mac.  The Mac has a different architecture
than the Amiga, so comparing mhz rating is not useful.  About all you can
say is that X architecture running at double the mhz of the old X architecture
should run twice as fast.  I am not going to go into cacheing, pipelining
and fancy stuff being done in the CPU to make them faster (like the 68000 vs
the 68020), read the 68k news group for that stuff.

_____
I wrote this with 3D glasses on, could you tell?

wagner@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (03/16/87)

In article <2704@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) writes:
>In article <12284247071.70.PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM> PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM (Aubrey Sparkman) writes:
>>Help anyone...	I DON'T UNDERSTAND MIPS.
>
>Not uncommon. MIPS is best interpreted as "Mythical Instructions Per
>Second."

I've heard it as "Mythical Indication of Processor Speed"
But the idea is the same.  With varying workloads, the same hardware can
exhibit vastly different MIPS ratings.  This is most prevalent in microcoded
machines like small 370s.

Michael (another michael in this discussion group?)  Wagner

vic@bobkat.UUCP (Vic Sohal) (03/17/87)

>>Not uncommon. MIPS is best interpreted as "Mythical Instructions Per
>>Second."
>
>I've heard it as "Mythical Indication of Processor Speed"
>But the idea is the same.  With varying workloads, the same hardware can
>exhibit vastly different MIPS ratings.  This is most prevalent in microcoded
>machines like small 370s.

I've NEVER EVER heard of MIPS referring to "Mythical Indication of Processor
Speed", where did you hear it meant that?

As far as I know, MIPS means "MIllion Instructions Per Second"

                               Just Clearing The Air....Vic Sohal

tony@artecon.artecon.UUCP (Anthony D. Parkhurst) (03/18/87)

In article <763@bobkat.UUCP> vic@bobkat.UUCP (Vic Sohal) writes:
>>>Not uncommon. MIPS is best interpreted as "Mythical Instructions Per
>>>Second."

>>I've heard it as "Mythical Indication of Processor Speed"

>I've NEVER EVER heard of MIPS referring to "Mythical Indication of Processor
>Speed", where did you hear it meant that?
>As far as I know, MIPS means "MIllion Instructions Per Second"

	That is just the point, the acronym has been modified to reflect
reality.  Just what exactly does "Million Instructions Per Second" mean?!?
Define "Instruction"  (extra credit if you can indicate the different
definitions from the different manufacturers).

>                               Just Clearing The Air....Vic Sohal

                                Just Clearing The Air....Tony Parkhurst

--
**************** Insert 'Standard' Disclaimer here:  OOP ACK! *****************
*  Tony Parkhurst -- {hplabs|sdcsvax|ncr-sd|hpfcla|ihnp4}!hp-sdd!artecon!adp  *

wagner@utgpu.UUCP (03/19/87)

In article <763@bobkat.UUCP> vic@bobkat.UUCP (Vic Sohal) writes:
>>>Not uncommon. MIPS is best interpreted as "Mythical Instructions Per
>>>Second."
>>
>>I've heard it as "Mythical Indication of Processor Speed"
>>But the idea is the same.  With varying workloads, the same hardware can
>>exhibit vastly different MIPS ratings.  This is most prevalent in microcoded
>>machines like small 370s.
>>

>I've NEVER EVER heard of MIPS referring to "Mythical Indication of Processor
>Speed", where did you hear it meant that?
>
>As far as I know, MIPS means "MIllion Instructions Per Second"
>
>                               Just Clearing The Air....Vic Sohal

From a talk given by an IBM performance expert.  You can also substitute
"Misleading" for the first word.  IBM nowadays uses throughput numbers.

And MIPS did originally mean Million Instructions Per Second.  But, as the
conversation on this topic has already pointed out, it's a pretty useless
speed indicator.

Michael