[comp.sys.amiga] Technisoft RAMBoards

kent@xanth.UUCP (03/14/87)

Technisoft.

Three friends and I made a group order for four, 2 Mbyte Technisoft,
Incorporated RAMBOards on September 25th, 1986.  To date, we have received:

	1 working board - delivered in February 1987,
	1 non-working board - delivered in March 1987,
	dozens of promised delivery dates,
	untruthful statements that our boards had BEEN shipped, multiple times,
	lies,
	deceit,
	fraud,
	theft of goods prepaid, and
	loss of the money prepaid for the hardware we ordered.

I strongly encourage anyone on the net to avoid doing business with Technisoft,
Inc., and to recommend the same to their friends.  The RAMBOard comes with a
five year guarantee.  There is no chance the company will remain in business
long enough to honor that guarantee, with such business practices.

Caveat emptor.

--

Kent Paul Dolan, "The Contradictor", 25 years as a programmer, CS MS Student
at ODU, Norfolk, Virginia, to find out how I was supposed to be doing this

Disclaimer hell! \   / I love my opinions, so I set them free.  If they bring
Eat red death,    } {  me friends, we'll share joy.  If they bring me lawyers,
shysters!        /   \ I'll keep right on sending them out ... excellent bait!

UUCP  :  kent@xanth.UUCP   or    ...seismo!decuac!edison!xanth!kent
CSNET :  kent@odu.csnet    ARPA  :  kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu
Voice :  (804) 587-7760    USnail:  P.O. Box 1559, Norfolk, Va 23501-1559
Wisdom:  "Peace in mankind's lifetime.  Why leave a whole universe unexplored?"

spencer@mica.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (03/16/87)

In article <697@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>Technisoft.
>

>I strongly encourage anyone on the net to avoid doing business with Technisoft,
>Inc., and to recommend the same to their friends.  The RAMBOard comes with a
>five year guarantee.  There is no chance the company will remain in business
>long enough to honor that guarantee, with such business practices.
>
>Caveat emptor.
>
>--
>UUCP  :  kent@xanth.UUCP   or    ...seismo!decuac!edison!xanth!kent

Well, I see them as more of a bunch of guys who got together and tried to
make a board for the Amiga that was inexpensive so lots of people would
be able to get it.  I know lots of people that have Amigas, and all of them
want more memory, but few can afford it.

Memory doesn't have to be that expensive (Anybody seen the Alegra for $400+),
it just gets that way.  You could buy a Hayes modem, but how many people
really do?  I have seen alot of US Robotics modems out there.  Lots of people
want the item (2400 baud in that case) but don't want to pay for full spec,
they will take some problems in trade for paying less money.

I have a friend working on a Hard Disk interface that plugs into the expansion
port in a very ugly, none auto configuring way, but it will work.  It means
getting a hard disk for your Amiga cheap.  We (my users group) have discussed
making them for our members so they can profit from our efforts.  We would
charge for the parts and construction, but we would be doing it as a business,
trying to get customers, we would just be filling a gap until somebody other
than Byte-by-Byte comes out with a hard disk box.  Now if that is how Techni-
Soft got started I understand why you can never get them on the phone, and
why they blame things on UPS often (they arn't the only ones that do that).
I have found their heart to be in the right place.  The president of our
group ordered the board.  I was impressed how ugly it was.  Ribbon cable to
an 86 pin connector.  Couldn't have passed FCC.  But when it went bad on
our Presidente' in 48 hours, they fixed it and offered to put in a fan to
dissapate the heat (now a standard feature, since they discovered heating
problems, tho' that wasn't his problem).  Sure he got the run-around, but
not everybody can be 100% together (though I guess Access Associates have
been, I still relish my Alegra and still get others to buy them by explain-
ing how happy I am with it, and what a great design it is.)

Not that I want Perry or Steve to start designing slap-together hacks for
Amiga Upgrades, but Techni-Soft has its place.  I think that is why Perry
has been so vocal about C-Ltd., and not said a word about Techni-Soft, at
least the latter doesn't pretend to be the greatest thing since sliced
peanuts.
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (03/18/87)

In article <2810@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@mica.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
>In article <697@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>Technisoft.
>>I strongly encourage anyone on the net to avoid doing business with
>>Technisoft, Inc., and to recommend the same to their friends.  [...]
>>Caveat emptor.
>
>Well, I see them as more of a bunch of guys who got together and tried to
>make a board for the Amiga that was inexpensive so lots of people would
>be able to get it.

   [Lots of generic stuff about how nice it is to have people build cheap]
   [hardware for all of us.]

>[...] Now if that is how TechniSoft got started I understand why you can never
>get them on the phone, and why they blame things on UPS often (they arn't the
>only ones that do that).  I have found their heart to be in the right place.
>The president of our group ordered the board.
>[...] But when it went bad on our Presidente' in 48 hours, they fixed [...]
>Sure he got the run-around, but not everybody can be 100% together [...]
>Not that I want Perry or Steve to start designing slap-together hacks for
>Amiga Upgrades, but Techni-Soft has its place.  I think that is why Perry
>has been so vocal about C-Ltd., and not said a word about Techni-Soft, at
>least the latter doesn't pretend to be the greatest thing since sliced
>peanuts.
>Randy Spencer ....ucbvax!mica!spencer  spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

Well...I guess I am glad someone has gotten some endurable service from
Technisoft.  For my group, we have been told at least 15 times, always
lies, that our boards had _already_ been mailed, starting back in November.
I simply believe that a company which makes lying to customers a normal
business practice should not be rewarded with more customers.  I cannot
imagine anyone, reviewing the experiences of me and my fellow sufferers, or
of the many similar experiences published on the Compuserve Amigaforum (to
which one of us is a subscriber), who would voluntarily send money to these
people for anything, when there are so many reputable firms making a product
with similar functions, available from which to choose.  I agree that
Technisoft has its place.  If we were willing to undergo the tribulations of
pressing a case with the Postal Inspector, that place would be a nice cozy
cell, exactly what they deserve.  Their behavior is unconscionable, don't ask
me to praise them or accept "they're depraved on account of they're deprived";
these folks are grownups, responsible for their own behavior.
--
Kent Paul Dolan, "The Contradictor", 25 years as a programmer, CS MS Student
at ODU, Norfolk, Virginia, to find out how I was supposed to be doing this
stuff all these years.  3D dynamic motion graphics a specialty.  Work wanted.
Unemployment is soooo nice though...I never have to disclaim anything!

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (03/20/87)

In article <713@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>  I cannot
>imagine anyone, reviewing the experiences of me and my fellow sufferers, or
>of the many similar experiences published on the Compuserve Amigaforum (to
>which one of us is a subscriber), who would voluntarily send money to these
>people for anything, when there are so many reputable firms making a product
>with similar functions, available from which to choose.
>--
>Kent Paul Dolan, "The Contradictor", 25 years as a programmer, CS MS Student

Sounds like we are saying the same thing only you are getting screwed by them
right now and the --W--A--I--T--I--N--G-- period is over for those I know with
the board.

I do recommend that those who have gotten to a point in life that they don't
have to go to MacDonalds on dates anymore, not buy from Techni-Soft.  But I
do recommend that maybe those thinking about installing the hardware themselves
because the price of the machine broke them (like... ME), think about the
horror of blowing up your machine by accident while monkeying with it, versus
having a board that does work (if you ever see it).  I _can't_ afford to
blow up my machine (tho' I admidt I did already (are 2SC3504's and Radio Shack
276-2009 transistors the same?, I know the legs are backasswards).

I am just speaking from further down the financial spectrum than Kent.