[comp.sys.amiga] leaving the Amiga on

derek@uwvax.UUCP (03/14/87)

Here's a dumb question:  is it bad for the Amiga to leave it on for long
periods of time without using it?  My workstation at the office doesn't
mind, but what about the Amiga?  Also, how stressful is powering it up
and down?

derek

--
Abstract:       Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
Usenet:         ...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax}!uwvax!derek

chapman@eris.UUCP (03/14/87)

In article <3340@rsch.WISC.EDU> derek@rsch.WISC.EDU (Derek Zahn) writes:
>is it bad for the Amiga to leave it on for long
>periods of time without using it?

Gee, I sure hope not!  :-) Mine's been on since, oh, let's see, right
after I got back from Christmas, and that was about January 5th...
Before that, it was on from the time I bought it (early August last
summer) through Thanksgiving (that's most of 4 months)...

The generally accepted concensus is that, as long as there aren't any
problems with overheating (which the Amiga, thankfully, doesn't seem
to have, unlike some _other_ machines I could mention...), it's better
to leave it on than to be cycling the power on and off a few times
a day.

Note that this specificly does _not_ apply to monitors; monitors will "burn"
(the phosphor will become permanently screwed) if left with an unchanging
picture in the same place for long periods of time (this is why you see old
terminals with images of the status lines visible even when there _isn't_
a status line there now).  Either turn your monitor off when you're not
using it, or use something like PopCLI which blanks the screen after the
Amiga has been sitting idle (no keyboard or mouse input) for a certain
amount of time (mine's set for 10 minutes)  (funny trick to wake up your
Amiga, especially useful if someone is around who _doesn't_ know how it
works:  Walk up and slam your fist down on the desk, with some appropriate
comment like "Wake up, you lazy SOB!"; this generally jiggles the mouse
just enough to make PopCLI think you've done something useful).  The
usefulness of PopCLI in this regard (it's plenty useful in other regards)
is questionable, since the Amiga's "black" screen isn't really black, it's
dark-dark gray.

Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@mica.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!mica!chapman

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (03/18/87)

The amigas that we have here, and the one I've got at home are
about a year old.  At that time, C-A was using Japanese power
supplies that are VERY well built.  The ventilation fan keeps the
temperatures will down inside the power pack, thus the switching
transistor and especially the filter caps should be able to expect
a long life under continuous operating circumstances.

Our Apple IIs practically eat power packs for lunch, as the dang
case of the power pack has no holes for any air flow what so ever,
and even with a muffin fan blowing right on it, the inside still
gets hotter'n a pistol.  This usually destroys the filter caps
after about three months of non-stop operation.

The Amiga power pack seems to have been designed to provide about
300 mS of ride-though with one external disk drive attached without
any extras beyond the front-mounted 256K pack.  So far, we haven't
experienced any brown-out induced reboots.

If you cycle the AC power on the Amiga, you should wait about 10
sec before re-applying the mains AC.  This delay allows the voltage
on the input capacitors to drop sufficiently to that the soft
turn-on circuit is activated correctly.  This assures that the
capacitors, etc will not be damaged by an unrestrained current
inrush.  Not waiting long enough can cuase the power pack to be
partially still active, and try to quickly bring the caps back up
to nominal voltage, rusulting in potentially damaging currents.

If I remember right, the Amiga manual actually alludes to the
proper way to treat the power supply.  Very commendible, as most
makers don't bother to discuss that.

  --Bill
  (wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucell a na

maj1@sphinx.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <2801@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) writes:
>>is it bad for the Amiga to leave it on for long
>>periods of time without using it?

>         ...               Either turn your monitor off when you're not
>using it, or use something like PopCLI which blanks the screen after the
>Amiga has been sitting idle (no keyboard or mouse input) for a certain
>amount of time

Can someone tell me just how I can get a hold of this PopCLI gadget?
Is it short enough to post it to the net?  If not (and you own a
copy) please Email it to me.

Major Robinson jr
--
ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!maj1