[comp.sys.amiga] putting uucp on Amiga.

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (03/13/87)

	Yuc.  UUCP is a *huge* program... uses thousands upon thousands
of temporary files, and has a crock of a protocol.

				-Matt

In article <8703131840.AA02254@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Yuc.  UUCP is a *huge* program... uses thousands upon thousands
>of temporary files, and has a crock of a protocol.
>
>				-Matt

Huh?  UUCP is a group of programs - the actual transfer program "uucico" is
a worst medium sized.  It uses two or three temporary files per transfer
request to queue transfers.  The protocol(s) are confusing, having been
designed for more than was implemented and written in an obscure fashion.
The actual transfer protocol is a windowed packet protocol similar to the
X.25 lower level notions.

Plusses:
  It works and is present on all "real" unix systems and most clones.
  It queues transfer requests and runs in unattended mode
  There is a nationwide network of uucp systems supporting mail and news
    with minimal entry cost.
  It the only affordable way of bring news and mail from a work or school
    system to your off-site (home) computer system.

Minuses:
  Licensed unix software.  One commercial MS-DOS equivalent package.  One
    PD "slave" program that may evolve into something useful.
  Protocol optimized for 300-1200 baud phone connections - needs some work
    to optimize for high speed/error correcting modems.
  Implementation typically includes one or two irritating bugs/features.
  Works with the phone system, performance and reliability varies.
  Fairly complicated to set up the first time.

Matt, pull that Ethernet cable out of your ear 8-).  The perspective changes
once one gets beyond the reach of the nearest arpanet connection.  Seriously,
what would you suggest in place of uucp?

mwm@eris.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <1574@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>The perspective changes once one gets beyond the reach of the nearest arpanet
>connection.

Get beyond an arpanet connection? Bite your tongue! :-)

>Seriously, what would you suggest in place of uucp?

FidoNet? ACSNet? BITNet? DECNet? BerkNet? Others, and yet others, and

Seriously, it depends on what you're going to do with it. If you want
to move files from a Unix box to an Amiga at regular intervals, I'd
run kermit out of cron. Catching stuff on the Amiga end requires some
magic, but it will in any case. Going the other way, I'd build
something that logged into a kermit server and ran with a script.

On the other hand, if you want to integrate an amiga into UUCPNet (the
network of machines that run uucp), then ACSNet would be a better
choice, if you can get a site to talk to you. That's unlikely, so uucp
is probably the only choice. Hmm, maybe BerkNet. I can even provide a
connection - until we junk it. The problem in this case (over and
above file transfer) is the need for remote execution of commands.

If you want to joins USENet (the network of machines that exchange
what used to be net.announce), then you need to run either notes or
netnews or some facsimile thereof. File transfer can be whatever
mechanism you want it to be (we used to use mail, but now use NNTP
daemons).

Networking is a strange and mysterious thing. UUCP requires constant
fiddling (except in the presence of a wizard). BerkNet hiccups. ACSNet
is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bits. FidoNet (if you
can get a copy) would be the perfect thing for connecting a network of
Amiga BBSs up. BITNet has some really strange assumptions built in (do
you _really_ want everything to look like card images?). DECNet - I
was kidding, I was kidding!

If you want to put your Amiga into a network of Unix boxes, get an
ethernet card. If you want to put it in a network of MS-DOS boxes, get
an ethernet card (and run PC/IP and PC/NFS on the MS-DOS machines). If
you want to network a bunch of amiga's and don't want to pay for the
ethernet cards, either get FidoNet, or start from scratch (well, maybe
ACSNet, but I suspect that it wants more machine than an Amiga is
prepared to give it).

	<mike
--
But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm