[comp.sys.amiga] 1020 Drive

pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) (03/18/87)

I have a few questions about the Amiga 1020 drive.

First, when, if ever, will a 1.2 compataible version of the transformer be
available ?

Second, when will a C64 emulator for the Amiga be availble ?

Third, will it be possible to use the 1020 drive with a C64 emulator ?

Thank you

==-==-==-==-==-==-==-== Paul Brody
--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-- University of Denver
==-==-==-==-==-==-==-== (303) 795-5411

In article <3269@udenva.UUCP> pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) writes:

>I have a few questions about the Amiga 1020 drive.
>
>First, when, if ever, will a 1.2 compataible version of the transformer be
>available ?

There's some action on this on the QA front.  Things were on the back burner
due to the general feeling that the product failed to meet many customers
expectations.  However, the advent of the hardware emulation on the A2000 has
actually clarified the role of the Transformer type software emulation.

>Second, when will a C64 emulator for the Amiga be availble ?

As far as I know, Commodore has made no commitment to such a product.  In *my*
opinion, it is not possible to do an effective software emulation and a hybrid
hardware/software implementation might cost more than a C64!.

I think there is a product possibility out there if somebody wants to write
some Commodore "serial bus" driver software that would let the Amiga access
C64 peripherals and/or appear as a peripheral to a C64.  This could either
work through the Parallel port (derived from a 6526) or through the second
Joystick port.

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (03/19/87)

In article <1575@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <3269@udenva.UUCP> pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) writes:

>>First, when, if ever, will a 1.2 compataible version of the transformer be
>>available ?

>There's some action on this on the QA front.  Things were on the back burner
>due to the general feeling that the product failed to meet many customers
>expectations.  However, the advent of the hardware emulation on the A2000 has
>actually clarified the role of the Transformer type software emulation.

On Plink, there is a very short C program that will do a patch to the
Transformer executable to enable it under 1.2 kickstart.

I would post now, but my download of it seems to be mashed.  Only the
executable works, and the instructions for that are in the unreadable
source.  *Sigh* I wonder when they develop a RELIABLE method of data
transfer...

I'll get it again tonight (the ARC is only 6k long), and post a shar version
later on (executable & source).

	"Isn't fun the best thing to have?"

			lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (03/21/87)

I've got a question a lot of local users have been batting back and
forth. Is the 1020 drive capabile of formatting to 720K under MS-DOS,
and can it format to 880K under AmigaDOS? In other words is it a 40
track drive, or an 80 track drive?

Are there any hardware (not likely) or software patches that would allow
the 1020 to format at the higher densities?

Thanks for any help.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne