[comp.sys.amiga] compatibility of 1020 disk drive.

davidlo@madvax.UUCP (David Lo) (03/20/87)

   I wonder can a generic 5.25 disk drive for the C= C64/C128 be used
   as a 1020 for the Amiga.  The generic 5.25 disk drives are widely
   available , it is nice if it can be used.

   - David

In article <510@madvax.UUCP> davidlo@madvax.UUCP (David Lo) writes:

>   I wonder can a generic 5.25 disk drive for the C= C64/C128 be used
>   as a 1020 for the Amiga.  The generic 5.25 disk drives are widely
>   available , it is nice if it can be used.

Sorry, no.  The drives used for C64/128 applications have non-standard
electronics for use with Commodore GCR formats.  The drive used in the
A1020 is like the drives used for IBM PC's and clones.

grwalter@watmath.UUCP (03/22/87)

In article <1579@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <510@madvax.UUCP> davidlo@madvax.UUCP (David Lo) writes:
>>   I wonder can a generic 5.25 disk drive for the C= C64/C128 be used
>>   as a 1020 for the Amiga.
>Sorry, no.  The drives used for C64/128 applications have non-standard
>electronics for use with Commodore GCR formats.  The drive used in the
>A1020 is like the drives used for IBM PC's and clones.

But the drive in the 1571 is capable of reading IBM PC (and clone) disks...

How much work would it be hook up a 1571 to an Amiga, and write the
device driver ? Has anyone tried this ? I am asking because I had (still
have) a C128 and 1571 and ..., and I would like to use my existing
hardware.

It seems kinda wasteful to have to spend $$$ to get a third drive when
you have one that would *almost* do the job.

If one was to try to hook up 1571 to an Amiga, what port would be the
best one to use ? (ie. easiest to design/make an interface for)
Where is the info on writing device drivers found ?

ON A SIDE NOTE :
	I seem to remember some postings by some people doing things
with home brew hard disk interfaces and device drivers. Did anyone
actually get something up and running ?

	fred

 CSNet: grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu
  UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,utzoo}!watmath!grwalter
CDNnet: grwalter@watmath.waterloo.cdn
  ARPA: grwalter%watmath.waterloo.edu@csnet-relay.arpa