[comp.sys.amiga] Note on Atari newsgroup

	I, of course, keep up on the mac and atari newsgroups as well as
	this group.  My tendancy is to correct mistakes made about the Amiga
	on these newsgroups (or get into general or theoretical discussions,
	but that's off the subject).

	Now, being an Amigan, I find it my duty to correct such mistakes by
	a small posting to the offending newsgroup.  Of late, there have been
	quite a few messages from other Amigan's on the atari newsgroup
	(mainly in response to some poor atarian's statement about processor
	compatibility between 680x0's), correcting the atarian's one line
	mistake with a 4 paragraph paper delving deep into the reasons why the
	Amiga *does* support multiple processors... etc...

	Is it possible that we can gain some measure of self control and
	refrain from such *long* postings when a line or two will do?  After
	all, if we keep on doing this to their newsgroup, we might get our
	selves into a network-newsgroup war (the worse kind!)....  Show some
	pity fellow Amigans!.

				-Matt

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (03/18/87)

---
Well, sometimes the amount of misinformation floating around in the atari.st
newsgroup gets a bit too much... In fact, even their Atari support person,
Alex L. (who recently appeared on the net, seemingly after the outcry from
newsgroup readers about the lack of Atari support), is as misinformed about
the Amiga as some of the readers... Just recently someone complained about the
Atari "_" bug, and one of Alex's reponses was that the Amiga is the only
machine you can crash by following the boot instructions *exactly*. Of course
this generated a message or two from fellow Amigans, and it turns out that
Alex was referring to a time when he and (the computer critic and expert)
Jerry Pournelle tried to boot the Amiga... Sigh, with technical expertise like
that, I think they do need to be corrected once in a while...

Gosh, even Commodore's George Robbins posts informative messages about the
ST on their board. How many times have we had ST people post messages here?
I remember one from several months ago when the person posting it was mumbling
about how superior the ST was to the Amiga...

As long as the messages don't get to be of the religious type, I think such
postings to other boards is useful (and even necessary!). And none of the
recent (long) messages about '010 and '020 compatibility have been all
that religious --- Just informative.

On a totally seperate topic, I recently bought Robert Peck's "Programmer's
Guide to the Amiga," after reading a recommendation here on comp.sys.amiga.
I'm glad I did --- It's a good book. I just read parts of it, but it has
thought me a lot about the parts of the Amiga I didn't know about (such
as the AmigaDOS Lock stuff, etc)... It presents facts in a clear and concise
fashion, and has a lot of examples (which seem to be tested and working,
but I haven't verified this). One bug I've found is the misspelling of
Tom Rokicki's name as Thomas. And in another page there is mention of
"mutual exclusion for gadgets," but just in a paragraph, and without
examples... Well, as clearly stated in the Enhancer manual, mutual
exclusion hasn't been implemented yet... But, in any case, it's a good
book so I second the rec.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

In article <8703180813.AA29897@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Now, being an Amigan, I find it my duty to correct such mistakes by
>	a small posting to the offending newsgroup.  Of late, there have been
>	quite a few messages from other Amigan's on the atari newsgroup
>	(mainly in response to some poor atarian's statement about processor
>	compatibility between 680x0's), correcting the atarian's one line
>	mistake with a 4 paragraph paper delving deep into the reasons why the
>	Amiga *does* support multiple processors... etc...
>
>	Is it possible that we can gain some measure of self control and
>	refrain from such *long* postings when a line or two will do?  After
>	all, if we keep on doing this to their newsgroup, we might get our
>	selves into a network-newsgroup war (the worse kind!)....  Show some
>	pity fellow Amigans!.
>
>				-Matt

Matt, please remember that net response time varies - you will probably get
this tomorrow, others won't see it for a week.  When there is something that
many people feel a need to respond to, many replies will get launched before
any other response becomes evident.

Personally, I try to let simple mistakes and comparisons in the Atari group
slide.  In this case, I felt there was considerable potential for confusion
since this person was presenting "facts" he had heard from Amiga users.

In my responses, I will try to correct the misinformation and present enough
background that people can understand the issues and possibly the reason for
the confusion.  If Dave or I got carried away, it simply because it *hurts* to
see one of positive features of the Amiga software so abused...

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (03/20/87)

In article <201@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.UUCP (Ali Ozer) writes:
>On a totally seperate topic, I recently bought Robert Peck's "Programmer's
>Guide to the Amiga," after reading a recommendation here on comp.sys.amiga.
>I'm glad I did --- It's a good book...so I second the rec.
>
>Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu
It is a *itch (I mean bit*h, no I mean bitc*, hmmm... that ain't easy) to find,
but well worth it.  Most fun I have had reading in a long time.  I liked
"Inside the Amiga", but this is really fun.  Got to get the disk that has
the sources.

It did take me 4 B. Daltons to find, I got the last one, and I haven't seen
them since (all this week).  Good luck, and I third the recommendation, or
I guess you don't third things, once it has been seconded you put it to a vote.
Well, I vote for it!  It is required reading on the "C" Sig I am heading up
in my users group (well, they don't know that yet, but it will be.)
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

braner@batcomputer.UUCP (03/21/87)

[]

As an Atari ST user and comp.sys.atari.st reader I must agree that
_short_ _informative_ statements from Amigans are useful.

Can I ask you Amigans for info?  I'd like to know what are the available
68881 and 68020/68881 add-ons for the Amiga, how much they cost and what
software support do they have.  Please e-mail responses to:
	<braner@amvax.tn.cornell.edu>
or the address above.  Thanks.

- Moshe Braner

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (03/24/87)

Tsk, Tsk, Ali - Now we're treading into the waters that tend to start the
religious wars.  I agree that George Robbins does post informative messages
about the ST to that newsgroup, but Alex Leavens has been *very* helpful as
of late and there is no reason to slam on him for a problem he personally
had.  I'm sure everyone at one time or another has managed to crash some
computer by doing something correct - I crashed the first demo Amigas simply
by running the programs the store had put on them.  But I've also crashed my
ST for equally stupid reasons.  And we won't even talk about an IBM or a
C-64, both of which need only an evil look to crash.  Speaking of IBM,
perhaps we should worry more about"competing" with them than with each other
- after all those three letters sell more computers than the Atari's and
Amiga's excellent features combined.  And hey, I doubt most Amigans know
enough about the ST to comment knowledgeably (as George does) about it.  In
the same vein, I don't think that most St-users know enough about the Amiga
to say much intelligent about it.  So let's all lighten up and talk about
the computers, not any comparisons between them.  And if anyone disagrees in
a large way, let them set up comp.sys.religious.war and fight out their "my
daddy's bigger than your daddy" battles somewhere else.
                                        Adam Engst