[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 -> A2000 expansion box?

robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (03/02/87)

Are there any hardware developers out there that are giving serious
consideration to marketing an above-Amiga expansion chassis that adds the
functionality of a A2000 (2000-style card slots, PC bus, room for drives)
to an existing A1000?

There are things I prefer about my Amiga that I would not want to give up,
such as the keyboard, composite output, Kickstart on disk, etc., but I would
also like to get the expandability of the 2000, and access to all the new
cards that are undoubtably forthcoming.  Also, I would like to have a few
more card slots than are being offered in the 2000.

I would love to throw money at someone who could offer such a product, and
I can't imagine that I am the only person that feels this way.

Other than some additional buffering, and new chassis, is there anything
special that would have to be done to existing A1000 expansion boxes?

         "If you study the logistics and heuristics of the mystics,
          You will find that their minds rarely move in a line"

              Fifty percent of everything is below average.

Mike Robinson                                 USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <17641@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) writes:
>Are there any hardware developers out there that are giving serious
>consideration to marketing an above-Amiga expansion chassis that adds the
>functionality of a A2000 (2000-style card slots, PC bus, room for drives)
>to an existing A1000?

CSA has a new "turbo tower" (or something like that) that essentially duplicates
the A2000 bus slots and accepts the new form factor cards.  I'm not sure about
the PC compatibility stuff.

ASDG is working on something for the new form factor.  I'm not sure they've
come up with a final product configuration yet...

>Other than some additional buffering, and new chassis, is there anything
>special that would have to be done to existing A1000 expansion boxes?

Nah, nothing you're local auto-body shop couldn't handle.   8-)

dngcb@dcatla.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <17641@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) writes:
>Are there any hardware developers out there that are giving serious
>consideration to marketing an above-Amiga expansion chassis that adds the
>functionality of a A2000 (2000-style card slots, PC bus, room for drives)
>to an existing A1000?
>
>There are things I prefer about my Amiga that I would not want to give up,
>such as the keyboard, composite output, Kickstart on disk, etc., but I would
>also like to get the expandability of the 2000, and access to all the new
>cards that are undoubtably forthcoming.  Also, I would like to have a few
>more card slots than are being offered in the 2000.
>
>I would love to throw money at someone who could offer such a product, and
>I can't imagine that I am the only person that feels this way.
>
>Other than some additional buffering, and new chassis, is there anything
>special that would have to be done to existing A1000 expansion boxes?

You are not alone.  I also prefer the A1000.  One of the reasons I bought
it was the fact that it is *NOT* IBM PC Compatible!  I am of course glad
that the A2000 is out - it should lead to greater market penetration
and more software for us.  My question is how much support will exist for
the A1000 a year from now?  I am very disturbed that Commodore changed the
form factor on their "standard".  Come on guys!  You need product continuity
if you want to keep your loyal following.  I know that it puts a lot of
unpleasant design restraints on you when you have to make things upwardly
compatible but, but businesses (not to mention individuals) simply won't
always run out to buy the latest and greatest once a year.

I am very pleased with your software in that it seems to be designed with
portability and compatability in mind.
Oh! And thanks for the reasonable price on the 1.2 upgrade!  $14 for three
disks and a manual is great (much better than the $80 a competitor charged
me for a similar upgrade many years ago).  Now if only the manuals were
loose leaf so I could put in revision pages. :-)

Now, my question and concern here is exactly what is Commodore's committment
to A1000 support and upgrades?  Byte says that production of the A1000 will
be halted, but that Commodore is committed to providing support.  How about
compatibility as well?  I don't want to be in the condition of Apple II
owners who can't run most of the software written for the Apple IIe...
Nor do I want to be unable to buy any of the new hardware that will come out.
I had been planning to buy an expansion box so I could add a hard disk, ram
and more serial ports.  Instead I've ordered a StarBoard II and am waiting
(hopefully not naively) for an A2000 style expansion box which will let me
use the new form factor and hopefully will also provide the CPU slot so that
I can use A2000 coprocessors.

Don't take the above as a flame.  In general I've been quite pleased with
both my Amiga and with Commodore's support here on the net.  They've offered
the first computer worth buying in a long long time.  (We've come a long
way since the KIM-1, haven't we?  ;->
		   Greg Byrd
		   Atlanta, Ga.
		   {akgua, gatech}!dcatla!dngcb

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <186@dcatla.UUCP> dngcb@dcatla.UUCP (Gregory C. Byrd) writes:
>Now, my question and concern here is exactly what is Commodore's committment
>to A1000 support and upgrades?  Byte says that production of the A1000 will
>be halted, but that Commodore is committed to providing support.  How about
>compatibility as well?

The fact that the A500 and A2000 both run the same Kickstart image that was
frozen before their design was even finalized says quite a bit in favor of
internal hardware/software compatibility.  This makes a good starting point
for everyone, Commodore included, to maintain both upward and downward
compatibility.

As far as software upgrades, whatever we can cram in the new ROMS will fit
just as well in A1000 kickstart tower, workbench follows automatically.
Applications software will find it difficult to guess which machine it's
running in, which is probably a good thing since software should be feature
sensitive, not model sensitive.

Hardware upgrades are a bit murky.  A2000 products will be expansion board
oriented, but if third parties are serious about A2000 form-factor expansion
boxes for the A1000, this is less of an issue.

Actual A1000 upgrades are an open item.  Commodore will make what people will
buy in quantity.  If we do something for the A500 or A2000 that 15-30% of
A1000 owners will buy, then I would expect us to seriously consider an A1000
version of some sort.

Commodore has also been willing to license designs to third parties where
we don't see fit to produce things ourselves.  Much of the Byte-by-Byte
product line is based directly on Commodore/Amiga prototype design work.

A1000 production is "halted" because Commodore makes things in *BIG* batches.
We made enough A1000's that they should last until A500/A2000 production get
going.  Whether it gets restarted depends on continuing demand for A1000's
past that point.  If we really made the A500/A2000 price/feature split
correctly, then the "compromise" A1000 design has run it's marketing course.

perry@sfsup.UUCP (03/13/87)

Yes, there will be an expansion box for the Amiga 1000 which will
give you both A1000 Zorro capability And a full A2000 capability.
ASDG is designing one now.  Instead  of buying a SBII (which will
not be usable with our  expansion  box) you should be considering
buying  a  Zorro I  memory  board  (and Zorro I card rack for use
now). ASDG will even credit you purchase of our  current two slot
Zorro  I  racks towards the purchase of our 2000-and-1. You can't
lose since you get the use of  more  memory  now, plus the use of
the same memory  board  plus  all the  A2000 goodies later and it
costs you nothing extra for the A1000 Zorro I card rack (which is
returned to us when you upgrade).

Perry

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (03/16/87)

In article <1201@sfsup.UUCP> perry@sfsup.UUCP writes:

>Yes, there will be an expansion box for the Amiga 1000 which will
>give you both A1000 Zorro capability And a full A2000 capability.
>ASDG is designing one now.  Instead  of buying a SBII (which will

I don't know why no one has said anything yet, but:

I think Commodore should subsidize this box.  This way, all of us
*loyal* customers who stuck our necks out and bought the Amiga
"pay another" 1000 "to upgrade to a 2000" will be happy.

Of course, the Commodorians will argue about cost.  HAH.  Consider
the benefits of a loyal customer base.  Consider the extra revenues
generated by the loyal Amiga 1000-upgraded-to-2000 owners who will
be able to buy all the latest hardware.

Don't be greedy, think about the long term consequences.
Think about what a "nice-guy" image you Commodorians will have if
you subsidize this box.

Come on net people.  Don't be wimps.  Let's all chant together:

SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE

I want to see this group flooded with Re: articles like this:

----------
> SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE
I agree.  They should do this.  It would be nice for them to front
some of the cost.
----------

Of course, you can brown nose and write
----------
> SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE  SUBSIDIZE
You *sshole, Commodore has given us a great machine.  You
should be glad to pay an extra K to upgrade.  It isn't much.
----------

Thank you for your time.  (This whole article assumes that the
expansion box will cost at least 1000.  (Low volume reasons etc.))

Nick V. Flor
The Iconoclast
--
+ Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own, not necessarily my employers'.
/ Nick V. Flor / ..hplabs!hp-sdd!nick / Hewlett Packard, San Diego Division

perry@sfsup.UUCP (03/16/87)

In article <759@hp-sdd.HP.COM>, nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) writes:
> In article <1201@sfsup.UUCP> perry@sfsup.UUCP writes:
> >Yes, there will be an expansion box for the Amiga 1000 which will
> >give you both A1000 Zorro capability And a full A2000 capability.
> >ASDG is designing one now.  Instead  of buying a SBII (which will

> I think Commodore should subsidize this box.  This way, all of us
> *loyal* customers who stuck our necks out and bought the Amiga
> "pay another" 1000 "to upgrade to a 2000" will be happy.

> Thank you for your time.  (This whole article assumes that the
> expansion box will cost at least 1000.  (Low volume reasons etc.))

Actually, we don't think that our 2000-and-1 will exceed $1000.00. We are
targeting $695 - $700 as a likely goal.

Nick, you've  got  some  interesting concepts there though. One thing that
would really help us bring the cost to manufacture down is somehow getting
in on CBM's power supply buys.

Power supply's are particularly prone to  big  discounts in big quantities
(higher than ASDG is likely to be able to swing). If we could somehow ride
along with CBM's power supply (for the A2000) buys, we would definately be
able to produce  the  box  for retail around 695 (and make a profit - wow,
what a concept?)

Now I know  such  a  deal  would  be really unorthodox, but maybe it could
work?

Perry S. Kivolowitz

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (03/16/87)

In article <759@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>In article <1201@sfsup.UUCP> perry@sfsup.UUCP writes:
>>
>>Yes, there will be an expansion box for the Amiga 1000 which will
>>give you both A1000 Zorro capability And a full A2000 capability.
>>ASDG is designing one now.  Instead  of buying a SBII (which will

... random thoughts then...

>Thank you for your time.  (This whole article assumes that the
>expansion box will cost at least 1000.  (Low volume reasons etc.))

Perry already has said his expansion box will cost approximately $650.
Since it has/will have everything I want from the 2000 (ie card cage,
CPU slot and internal drive space for hard/floppy) I will probably get
this box.

Unless of course someone offers me something better at a cheaper price :-)

	"Isn't fun the best thing to have?"

			lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) (03/16/87)

In article <759@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>I think Commodore should subsidize this box.  This way, all of us
>*loyal* customers who stuck our necks out and bought the Amiga
>"pay another" 1000 "to upgrade to a 2000" will be happy.
>
>Of course, the Commodorians will argue about cost.  HAH.  Consider
>the benefits of a loyal customer base.  Consider the extra revenues
>generated by the loyal Amiga 1000-upgraded-to-2000 owners who will
>be able to buy all the latest hardware.

Yeah, Commodore should subsidize the expansion and make their customers
happy.  And they should give out free lollipops with their upgrades and
make at least one customer even happier!  Just think about how happy they
could make their customers if they included a years worth of free ice cream
cones!

>I don't know why no one has said anything yet, but:

Because no one wanted to sound like the whining snivelers in comp.sys.atari.st.

>Nick V. Flor
>The Iconoclast

Mr. Flor, can you say "planned obsolescence?"  If you can, just be glad you
didn't buy it when you bought your Amiga, and grow up.

nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (03/17/87)

In article <10164@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

>Perry already has said his expansion box will cost approximately $650.

<stuff deleted>

>Unless of course someone offers me something better at a cheaper price :-)

Hey, none of this smiley face BS.  That last sentence should have read:

"Unless Commodore offers to subsidize in which case I will pay a cheaper
 price."

Commodore is a great outfit.  They can afford to subsidize.
It looks like noone seems to care that they're losing the
extra functionality of the Amiga 2000.

Nick
--

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (03/17/87)

In article <1207@sfsup.UUCP> perry@sfsup.UUCP writes:

>Power supply's are particularly prone to  big  discounts in big quantities
>(higher than ASDG is likely to be able to swing). If we could somehow ride
>along with CBM's power supply (for the A2000) buys, we would definately be
>able to produce  the  box  for retail around 695 (and make a profit - wow,
>what a concept?)
>
>Perry S. Kivolowitz

Perry, the key is to find what is being made in volume and get it as directly
from the source as possible.  In your case, you want to use a "standard" PC/XT
clone supply - find the company that is one Taiwan person fronting for his
brother who is manufacturing them.

kim@amdahl.UUCP (03/17/87)

In article <1201@sfsup.UUCP>, perry@sfsup.UUCP writes:

> Yes, there will be an expansion box for the Amiga 1000 which will
> give you both A1000 Zorro capability And a full A2000 capability.
> ASDG is designing one now.

Perry -

Can you give us an idea of how many Amiga slots, and how many PC slots
you'll provide?  Also, what about the CPU (unbuffered) slot, and the
Video slot?

Thanks,
/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (03/17/87)

In article <17870@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Michael Robinson) writes:

>Yeah, Commodore should subsidize the expansion and make their customers
>happy.  And they should give out free lollipops with their upgrades and
>make at least one customer even happier!  Just think about how happy they
>could make their customers if they included a years worth of free ice cream
>cones!

I'll try to refrain from calling you names, but the fact of the matter is
that my idea of subsidizing because it will:

a) make current amiga 1000 owners happier, thus keeping a large customer
   base.
b) enable amiga1000->2000 owners to buy the latest hardware, thus generating
   extra revenues for both 3rd party hardware vendors and commodore.

is a reasonable / plausible one.  Naturally, a thorough cost/benefit analysis
must be made.  But Commodore is a great company.  I see no reason why
they can't come up with some sort of subsidy.

Your idiotic sarcastic statement just proves that ... (nah, I won't say
it)

What YOUR saying is that they should forget about the tens of thousands
(or more) of Amiga 1000 owners.  I mean, gee, if you can't afford the
new 2000 -- too bad.  If you can't afford to upgrade -- too bad.
Customers are a necessary evil, right?  Companies should just sell
neat whiz-bang products and the customer should be happy with what
he gets NOW.

I'd hate to be in business with you.

Have you taken economics?  Will you look at the IBM PC and ask yourself
how such a relatively inferior machine (technologically wise) can stay
around for such a long time and eat up most of the PC market?

>Because no one wanted to sound like the whining snivelers in comp.sys.atari.st.

Oh, I guess we should all just chuck our computers when something new
and better comes by.  Money is nothing right?

>>Nick V. Flor
>>The Iconoclast
>
>Mr. Flor, can you say "planned obsolescence?"  If you can, just be glad you
>didn't buy it when you bought your Amiga, and grow up.

Grow up Mike.  It's far nicer for me to post a semi-humorous article
than to flame Commodore for not subsidizing this box (Which was
my first choice).  Immature people like you who fail to see attempts
at being nice and post sarcastic nonsense without substance in reply,
should get a life.

Nick "No more Mr. Nice Guy" Flor
--
+ Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own, not necessarily my employers'.
/ Nick V. Flor / ..hplabs!hp-sdd!nick / Hewlett Packard, San Diego Division
* "What's going down in this world, you got no idea.  Believe me."-The Comedian
- "Less Thunder with the Mouth, More Lightning with the Fists."

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) (03/17/87)

[This is a flame. You've been warned.]

In article <760@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>Commodore is a great outfit.  They can afford to subsidize.
>It looks like noone seems to care that they're losing the
>extra functionality of the Amiga 2000.

What is this gibberish? I've still got the machine I paid for, and I
haven't spent any more money on it. There's no way on (or off) earth I
could be said to have "lost" anything! Therefore, there's no reason
for me to be upset about the A2000.

Likewise, since I haven't lost anything, there's no reason for anyone
to subsidize me, or to subsidize manufacturers of expansion boards.
Now I have to decide whether I want A2000 or zorro (or maybe 86-pin
:-) expansion slots. Maybe some sharp manufacturer will figure out a
way to turn Zorro slots into A2000 slots with a cheap attachment, and
I can get either in one slot. Makes me feel sorry for all those A2000
owners who won't be able to turn A2000 slots into zorro slots.

Nick, wake up. There isn't any "extra functionality" in the A2000.
It's got more memory inside, but no software will notice that.
Anything that will run on a stock A2000 will run on an A1000 + cheap
memory board (and at current prices, the A1000 will cost less). True,
you can hang extra hardware on an A2000. To get that, you have to buy
an expansion box for the A1000. So? You've _always_ had to buy an
expansion box for the A1000 to get any significant extra hardware on
it. Why does the introduction of a machine that has the slots inside
make you think you've been hurt, and need to be subsidized?

If this were like the long string of Mac upgrades, where software that
ran on the new machines wouldn't run on the old ones without an
upgrade, I'd understand you gettig upset. But that didn't obligate
Apple to subsidize, and this isn't even that kind of case.

BTW, why weren't you screaming for "subsidized" or "free" 1.2
enhancements? After all, software that expects you to have that won't
run on 1.1 (unless someone took great pains to make it do so!). After
all, at 150,000 users, that's only 2 and 1/4 million dollars it would
have cost Commodore (assuming that the $15 price tag was cost, which
seems likely) to give one to everyone.

Of course, any subsidy has to come from _somewhere_. It ain't gonna
come from the stockholders, and it ain't gonna come from labor (I can
here the unions now: "You want us to take a 5% pay cut for
WHAT!?!?!"). It might come for the programming staff, but I bet they
wouldn't like it. Gee, it must come from selling the new machines.
Guess who's gonna wind up paying that? Why, the customers, of course!
That means they'll sell fewer machines, which means there won't be as
large a customer base, which means that there will be less
software/new hardware for the machine, which means you'll wind up with
software that isn't as good, or costs more, or both. You sure _that's_
what you want to encourage?

On the other hand, Perry's suggestion that Commodore could help by
allowing hardware developers to add riders to power supply orders &
the like seems like a good one. Wouldn't cost Commodore anything (I'm
assuming a nominal charge for paperwork/etc.), and would wind up as a
net lower cost for the end users.

Now, what I _am_ pissed about is that the A2000 is, if anything, a
noticable step _backwards_ from the A1000. They put a place for
eighty-eighty-sux family processors in it, lowered the ergonomics of
the machine (no place to store the keyboard? yuch), and raised the
price over the A1000. Why were they wasting time adding marginal
features/misfeatures, instead of working on something that's as far
ahead of the A1000 as the A1000 was ahead of the rest of the world in
'85?

	<mike
--
But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (03/17/87)

In article <760@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:

>>Unless of course someone offers me something better at a cheaper price :-)

>Hey, none of this smiley face BS.  That last sentence should have read:
>
>"Unless Commodore offers to subsidize in which case I will pay a cheaper
> price."
>
>Commodore is a great outfit.  They can afford to subsidize.
>It looks like noone seems to care that they're losing the
>extra functionality of the Amiga 2000.

Hold on, let me get this straight.  You're telling me that a company that was
on the verge of Chapter 11 less than a year ago can "afford to subsidize"??

Did they subsidized the C128?

Has IBM/Apple ever subsidized?  Hey, this would be great if you bought a Mac
and now wanted a Mac SE...

You knew what you were buying when you bought the A1000.  You knew you would
need a card cage.  let's be reasonable about this.  What about those people
that bought the Amiga at release, and then CBM starting giving away the
monitors??  You have to take your chances in the real world!!

And you're not losing "functionality".  The A2000 is 100% (that's right, 100%)
software compatible.  More than you can say for the Mac SE, +, GS or whatever
else you might have.  Most people will never need a card cage other than for
extra mem, and maybe a hard drive.  And for this you don't even need a card
cage.

(feel free anyone, to jump in!)

	"Isn't fun the best thing to have?"

			lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (03/17/87)

I don't think that Commodore could afford to subsidize the *purchase*
price of A1000->A2000 expansion box.  But I think they could afford to
subsidize the *development* of such a box, which would in turn enable
third parties to sell their product more cheaply, since they have less
R&D capital to reimburse.

I don't know the specifics of Commodore's financial situation, but
there's certainly an optimal point at which they could maximize the
benefit of such subsidies while minimizing the amount of the
subsidies.  This could be very hard to calculate, given the
instability of the computer marketplace.

The other problem Commodore would have to avoid is favoritism.  If
they give one third-party company their "blessings," this could upset
other third-party hardware producers to the point where they would bow
out of the Amiga marketplace.  That would be very bad for all amiga
owners, not just those of us with 1000s.  So Commodore would have to
make this assistance available to many third-party hardware producers.
That could also be draining financially.

So while in theory subsidies may be a nice idea, they probably
wouldn't work as well as expected, and getting them to work well would
require some planning and forecasting.

Myself, I can't afford all the cards to go into the slots in the 2000,
so I'll just keep my 1000 and be happy about it.

				--M
--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu

"Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects"

"Mac owners dream in black and white
 Atari owners dream in color...
 but Amigoids dream using Hold and Modify!"

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (03/17/87)

In article <2822@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) writes:
>[This is a flame. You've been warned.]
>
>In article <760@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick (I live forever) Flor) writes:
>>Commodore is a great outfit.  They can afford to subsidize.
>>It looks like noone seems to care that they're losing the
>>extra functionality of the Amiga 2000.
>
>What is this gibberish? I've still got the machine I paid for, and I
>haven't spent any more money on it. There's no way on (or off) earth I

First off, let me state that I'm assuming that the A2000 expansion
slots are different from the zorro slots.

Now, for my flame:

Bail out now if you're going to be offended.

>could be said to have "lost" anything! Therefore, there's no reason
>for me to be upset about the A2000.

You're losing the ability to buy cheap hardware.

>Likewise, since I haven't lost anything, there's no reason for anyone
>to subsidize me, or to subsidize manufacturers of expansion boards.
> ... Maybe some sharp manufacturer will figure out a
>way to turn Zorro slots into A2000 slots with a cheap attachment, and
>I can get either in one slot. Makes me feel sorry for all those A2000
>owners who won't be able to turn A2000 slots into zorro slots.

Mike, why in the world would anyone make hardware for the A1000 after
the A2000 comes out.  And even those that are stupid enough to do so
will charge OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH PRICES (low volume reasons etc.).
Will you think before you spew.

>Nick, wake up. There isn't any "extra functionality" in the A2000.
>It's got more memory inside, but no software will notice that.

Mike, get a life.
I meant extra hardware functionality.  The very idea that I meant
extra software functionality is ABSURD.  Notice, one of my pro's
for subsidizing was that 3rd party hardware developers and commmodore
will have a larger customer base to draw revenues from.

>True,
>you can hang extra hardware on an A2000. To get that, you have to buy
>an expansion box for the A1000. So? You've _always_ had to buy an
>expansion box for the A1000 to get any significant extra hardware on
>it. Why does the introduction of a machine that has the slots inside
>make you think you've been hurt, and need to be subsidized?

Get a life.  I was waiting for the prices of expansion boxes to go
DOWN.  With the introduction of the A2000, producing A1000 boxes
in low volume will keep the prices up.  Also, think about this -- would
you go into business producing boxes for a machine that has been
discontinued?

>BTW, why weren't you screaming for "subsidized" or "free" 1.2
>enhancements? After all, software that expects you to have that won't

One can always get software updates from dealers (assuming commodore
will let them give 'em out).  Commodore doesn't have to ship updates
out to everyone, just to central points.  But hey, this isn't a
software discussion, let's move on.

>Of course, any subsidy has to come from _somewhere_. It ain't gonna
>come from the stockholders, and it ain't gonna come from labor (I can
>here the unions now: "You want us to take a 5% pay cut for
>WHAT!?!?!"). It might come for the programming staff, but I bet they
>wouldn't like it. Gee, it must come from selling the new machines.
>Guess who's gonna wind up paying that? Why, the customers, of course!
>That means they'll sell fewer machines, which means there won't be as
>large a customer base, which means that there will be less
>software/new hardware for the machine, which means you'll wind up with
>software that isn't as good, or costs more, or both. You sure _that's_
>what you want to encourage?

You're looking at the short term solution.
(
But what I really want to say is:
    People who don't take any kind of economics or business classes in college
    and then spew business diarrhea as if it was gospel really get my goat.
)
But I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

To summarize -- if the EXPECTED extra REVENUES generated from the LARGER
customer base offsets the costs of subsidizing + other FC's, and furthermore,
if this extra revenue creates profits greater than what is expected without
subsidizing, then DO IT.  For no other reason than it makes you money
in the LONG RUN.

No sh*t, the subsidy has to come from somewhere, but if the above holds
true, then your subsidy will be paid off and you'll get a little extra.
They don't necessarily have to take pay cuts to finance this subsidy.
There are banks in this country.
The customer doesn't necessarily have to pay more.

Again, let me state that a thorough market analysis must be made.
If the risk isn't worth it, then don't do it.

>price over the A1000. Why were they wasting time adding marginal
>features/misfeatures, instead of working on something that's as far
>ahead of the A1000 as the A1000 was ahead of the rest of the world in
>'85?

Because, you have to go with what makes you the most moeny.  I think it's
a smart move.  It's a sneaky way of getting more of a market.  Furthermore,
if they're smart, they'll be able to slowly phase away IBM.  Then we'll
all be much happier.

FLAME OFF

Now look folks, I'm just looking for a solution that makes both sides
happy.  I know a lot of A1000 owners who aren't happy with the new
A2000 for the reasons outlined above.

Maybe this subsidizing idea was a bad idea, but noone has shown me why.
Just a lot of sarcastic and not well thought out replies.

I'll stop cluttering this net with my flames and use e-mail more.

Nick
--

In article <10195@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

>Has IBM/Apple ever subsidized?  Hey, this would be great if you bought a Mac
>and now wanted a Mac SE...

This is not the point.  The point is that if by subsidizing, Commodore
can realize a greater profit (see my response to Mike Meyer), then
they should do it.

This BS about so and so never doing X is total NONSENSE.

What would happen if Amiga Inc. took the attitude:

"Well, geez, IBM doesn't have a multi-tasking OS or a blitter, nor does apple,
 so the thought of doing it is absurd.  We'll do what everyone else
 is doing I-B-M- P-C COMPATABILITY!!!"

But of course they did not take the "so and so never did X" attitude and so
now we have a new generation of computers.

You do what makes money.  Who cares if you take a loss in the short run
as long as you can recover the amount plus more later on.
This scheme of mine has as a residual affect of customer satisfaction.
While I realize that customer satisfaction is not the *primary* goal
of a business (making money is), it sure helps bring in the revenues.

>And you're not losing "functionality".  The A2000 is 100% (that's right, 100%)
Hardware functionality.

Think profits next time, not current industrial trends.

I know I promised to try not to post anymore, but these e-mail flames
containing nonsense about 'so and so never doing X' so why should
Commodore do so, had to be cleared up.

Nick

BTW, this may seem to contradict what I've been saying (it doesn't if
you understand my point), but remember long ago when software and software
updates used to be free?  Then, some clever fellow/company decided to
charge for software?  I suppose you are going to tell this person
that "so and so isn't doing X" and he is a buffoon and that he should cut
it out before we all spank him.
--

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (03/18/87)

In article <760@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>Commodore is a great outfit.  They can afford to subsidize.

Right, the company which just fired most of the Amiga technical staff,
which was almost bankrupt last year, which has given up trying to
produce some potentially good peripherals, THAT Commodore can afford to
subsidize.  Yeah, so can the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa
Claus according to Saint Nick here.  Get real, Mr. Flor, this is not
how businesses work.  They do not subsidize us; we subsidize them!
Your idea of being a "loyal customer" is to expect free handouts at
every turn?  Commodore is primarily a hardware company; if they give
away their hardware, where does their money come from?

Don't try to dance if you can't pay the piper.

	Getting tired of this stuff,
	Charles Poirier

chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (03/18/87)

In article <760@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>In article <10164@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

>>Unless of course someone offers me something better at a cheaper price :-)

>Hey, none of this smiley face BS.  That last sentence should have read:
>
>"Unless Commodore offers to subsidize in which case I will pay a cheaper
> price."
>
>Commodore is a great outfit.  They can afford to subsidize.
>It looks like noone seems to care that they're losing the
>extra functionality of the Amiga 2000.

By extension of your arguement, I suppose I should expect Apple to
subsidize my expansion from a II+ to a Mac+?  They're both "+" machines,
after all...  Or how about IBM subsidizing my expansion from an original
version PC (64k, no disk) to an AT?

You've got to realize something if you're going to stay happy in the computer
game (especially when dealing with micros):  In a year, anything you buy now
will be half as good and cost half as much.  If you admit this to yourself,
then you can enjoy yourself and get some work done.  Otherwise, you end
up doing one of two things:  You keep waiting and waiting, and never buying,
because "something better" will be out "real soon now", or you go ahead
and buy and kick yourself to death six months down the line.  I speak from
experience:  The first micros I did any serious work with were the old
Commodore Pets.  Then I moved up to a Zenith Z-89 (soon upgraded to a
Z-90, and which _still_ has more disk space than any other system I've ever
owned).  I bought an Apple II+ when it was a neat system.  I paid about
$5000 for it, all told, over several years.  I could buy an equivalent
Apple system today for < $1000.  So far, I've sunk only a little more
than half that $5000 into my Amiga, and already I have a system that
is easily 20 times as useful and useable.  So it goes...  Quit your
bitchin', and sit back and enjoy the ride...

Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@mica.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!mica!chapman

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (03/18/87)

In article <762@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:

>First off, let me state that I'm assuming that the A2000 expansion
>slots are different from the zorro slots.

Your right, they are different.  Different size, and a slightly different
pin out on the card.

>>could be said to have "lost" anything! Therefore, there's no reason
>>for me to be upset about the A2000.

>You're losing the ability to buy cheap hardware.

Only if you don;'t lay out the initial cash for the card cage.  It seems
your just upset you don't have a card cage, and have to pay for it.
This is the REAL world, you bought a 1000 without a card cage.  All you
have to due is shell out the bucks for a card cage, and you get TOTAL
A2000 fuctionality, if the card cage accepts A2000 cards.

>Mike, why in the world would anyone make hardware for the A1000 after
>the A2000 comes out.  And even those that are stupid enough to do so
>will charge OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH PRICES (low volume reasons etc.).
>Will you think before you spew.

Gee, I think they still make hardware for the TRS Model I.  There was a big
market for that after the Model III came out.  People with Model I's were
anxious to by stuff that made their machines like the III.  There are over
100k A1000's out there.  Hardware manufacturer's aren't going to ignore that
market!!

>>Nick, wake up. There isn't any "extra functionality" in the A2000.
>>It's got more memory inside, but no software will notice that.

>Mike, get a life.
>I meant extra hardware functionality.  The very idea that I meant
>extra software functionality is ABSURD.  Notice, one of my pro's
>for subsidizing was that 3rd party hardware developers and commmodore
>will have a larger customer base to draw revenues from.

But Nick, you ignored Mike's point.  Software doesn't care whether the mem
is on the motherboard or on the bus, as long as it's there.  The extra mem
on board the A2000 makes absolutely no difference.  I can buy an Alegra now
and get the one meg the A2000 comes with.

>Get a life.  I was waiting for the prices of expansion boxes to go
>DOWN.  With the introduction of the A2000, producing A1000 boxes
>in low volume will keep the prices up.  Also, think about this -- would
>you go into business producing boxes for a machine that has been
>discontinued?

Damn straight I would!! Think of all those A1000 owners who want a card cage
to make there A1000's into A2000's!!

So far the A1000 has not been discontinued (to my knowledge).  As I said
a 100k user base is hard to ignore.  If you were going to buy an expansion
box anyway, why not buy the one that offers you A2000 card compatibility.
So far 2 companies are making such boxes.

>No sh*t, the subsidy has to come from somewhere, but if the above holds
>true, then your subsidy will be paid off and you'll get a little extra.
>They don't necessarily have to take pay cuts to finance this subsidy.
>There are banks in this country.

To whom CBM owes PLENTY of money.

'nuff said...

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (03/18/87)

> In article <1201@sfsup.UUCP>, perry@sfsup.UUCP writes:
>
> Yes, there will be an expansion box for the Amiga 1000 which will
> give you both A1000 Zorro capability And a full A2000 capability.
> ASDG is designing one now.
>
> Perry -

One question on a minor point. What will be the approximate dimensions
of the 2000 & 1? I sure hope that it will not be as TALL as the PAL box.
Seems like the IBM type power supply would make it pretty tall. Of
course if the 2 Zorro I cards are mounted vertical, it will have to be a
very tall box. Any chance the Zorro I cards will mount horizontally?
What will be the total number of slots?

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) (03/18/87)

[]

You ask why anyone would continue to make expansion products for the A1000,
why do companies continue to make products for things like the PDP-8?
Because there are still people out there using the things.  With 140,000 to
150,000 machines out there, A1000 owners are hardly a small isolated group.

You were making a lot of statements about people who had never taken any
business courses spouting marketing bull, I think you should take a good
look at Commodore's balance sheet.  This company was a leading candidate for
chapter 11 less than a year ago, its creditors were clamoring for their money,
and the future of the company was in real doubt.  THIS is a company which
can afford to subsidize something?  I suspect that the bankers which you
mention as a source of funding for this subsidy would not look favorably
at something which is liable to affect near-term cashflow, and which
does not, as you claim, provide any certainty of additional sales.  If
you look at C-A's approach to expansion boxes, you will notice that none
of the products have their name on them, nor do they officially endorse
any of the available products, does this tell you anything about how
C-A feels about A1000 expansion products?  I mean this company changed the
specifications of the expansion bus after some third-party vendors had
already gone to market.  While I like my Amiga, and I continue to develop
software for it, I do not support you in asking C-A to do something which
does not make good business sense.  C-A can ill afford capitol outlays
of that magnitude, they are not a charitable organization, they are answerable
to their stockholders just like any other publicly held company, they would
not be exercising fiscal responsibility if they succcumb to your campaign.

--
    _   /|
    \`o_O'

(serious self-portrait?)

Opinion?  I thought you said onions.

UUCP:	{akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd
ARPA:	crash!billd@nosc
INET:	billd@crash.CTS.COM

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (03/19/87)

In article <760@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:

>Commodore is a great outfit.  They can afford to subsidize.
>It looks like no one seems to care that they're losing the
>extra functionality of the Amiga 2000.

I think the something for nothing discussion has gone on long enough. I
bought an Amiga 1000.  This did not give me a mortgage on Commodore's
future.  To get that, I went out and bought some Commodore common stock.

In case it has already slipped your mind, Commodore was _barely_ rescued
from Title 11 by its bankers.  The bankers, in turn, got a lot of control
of how Commodore is run.  For example, Commodore may not pay dividends on
its common stock until its present indebtedness is take care of (I don't
know the details of what it takes to satisfy this).

Guess how happy _the bankers_ would be if Commodore said: "Guess we'll just
give away 140,000 units * $500 subsidy 'cause we want to be nice guys".  In
case you didn't notice, Commodore was in business before the Amiga, and they
will probably still be in business when it is long forgotten.  In its day,
the C64 dominated its market, and I think it is still the personal computer
with the largest installed base.

Moral:  despite the song of the grasshopper, the world _doesn't_ owe you a
	living.  Acting like you think it does says little for your grasp
	of basic reality.

( Think I'll run for president.  With a winning personality like mine, how
  could I lose?  Besides, we need another technocrat.  Or maybe we could
  bring back JEC and save me the bother. ;-) <N.B., I didn't get that
  nickname for _agreeing_ with people!> )
--
Kent Paul Dolan, "The Contradictor", 25 years as a programmer, CS MS Student
at ODU, Norfolk, Virginia, to find out how I was supposed to be doing this

UUCP  :  kent@xanth.UUCP   or    ...seismo!decuac!edison!xanth!kent
CSNET :  kent@odu.csnet    ARPA  :  kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu
Voice :  (804) 587-7760    USnail:  P.O. Box 1559, Norfolk, Va 23501-1559
Wisdom:  "Peace in mankind's lifetime.  Why leave a whole universe unexplored?"

wagner@utgpu.UUCP (03/19/87)

In article <2822@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) writes:
>[This is a flame. You've been warned.]
>
>Now, what I _am_ pissed about is that the A2000 is, if anything, a
>noticable step _backwards_ from the A1000. They [8086 bashing],
>lowered the ergonomics of
>the machine (no place to store the keyboard? yuch), and raised the
>price over the A1000.

Amen.  The Amiga is the first machine I ever owned that had some
aesthetics.  I won't buy a machine without functionality, but it was
nice to have a functional machine that didn't look like it was designed
by a stamping-machine operator.  The A2000 has all the aesthetics of my
friend's PC Clones.  Boxy looking.  Looks like it belongs on a machine shop
floor.  Home appliances have to look nice to sell in the home.

>Why were they wasting time adding marginal features/misfeatures,

Actually, I like some of the new features.  I just wish they hadn't
tossed out so many of the old features.  The place for the keyboard meant
that one could tidy up one's desk.  When you're talking about limited work
space, that really matters.  Not every Amiga is put in a dedicated workstation
position.  Certainly not in the home.

And where does the genlock go now?

But I like the keyboard and mouse connections nearer to where they are going
to be used.

>instead of working on something that's as far
>ahead of the A1000 as the A1000 was ahead of the rest of the world in
>'85?

Sadly, I think that the answer to this lies in C-A's not having time to
do a good job because of the time and money pressure they're in.

>	<mike

Michael

perry@sfsup.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <17@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> > give you both A1000 Zorro capability And a full A2000 capability.
> > ASDG is designing one now.
> >
> very tall box. Any chance the Zorro I cards will mount horizontally?
> Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland

It is a given that the Zorro I slots shall be horizontal. Blaine, I've
got to live with my products too :-)

Perry

alex@xios.UUCP (Alex B Laney) (03/25/87)

In article <1987Mar19.093351.14810@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> wagner@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Michael Wagner) writes:

>Amen.  The Amiga is the first machine I ever owned that had some
>aesthetics.  I won't buy a machine without functionality, but it was
>nice to have a functional machine that didn't look like it was designed
>by a stamping-machine operator.  The A2000 has all the aesthetics of my
>friend's PC Clones.  Boxy looking.  Looks like it belongs on a machine shop
>floor.  Home appliances have to look nice to sell in the home.

I agree -- The Amiga people really deserve applause for creating a computer
that looks good as well as has `hacker appeal'.

A pencil holder! A keyboard `garage'! A cohesive outer design! The outer plastic
shell is definitely iffy (strength/shielding) - but the colour looks deeper
than on metal cases.

Too bad that C-A never wanted a piece of the expansion market. We could have
good looking card cages as well. (Note not really Commodore I'm talking about
here -- I mean C-A) Disclaimer-I haven't seem all of them. It's too bad the
Amiga people didn't design an internal card cage -- but that would have been
an unusual decision for a machine that was to be the ultimate game machine.

And the A2000 doesn't live up! You won't see the A2000 on Miami Vice. Now I'm
not a big fan of the Vice, but aesthetics count on that show, and it's neat
to see Amigas there.

When will Terminal and PC makers start putting keyboard connectors
on the front? Keyboard cables get chewed up otherwise.

And just think we have 7 doctors in Florida to thank for all this!

--
{utcsri,utzoo}!dciem!nrcaer!xios!alex  alex@xios.UUCP
 Xios Systems Corp, 150-1600 Carling Av, Ottawa, Ontario