[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with Dpaint II

iqbal@pnet01.CTS.COM (Iqbal Hans) (03/19/87)

Could someone please help me with a problem I'm having with Deluxe Paint II?

I spent 2 1/2 hours today working on a lo-res picture in the full video format
and then I saved it. But, now I can't load it again. Dpaint just says:

             (something like)
             unable to load 'file'
             Dpaint IO error.

What's wrong? I even switch to full video mode before loading it, but I still
get this error.

The Deluxe Video Framer also says IO error and can't load it.

I also have a PD utility called Showall and that gives this message:

        unknown type 44505056 of b4_type
     couldn't alloc plane 0 in read_body
     couldn't load 'file' as an IFF file.

I noticed that I can load pictures created with Dpaint 1.1 with no problem by
using Showall, but when I try to load ones created with 1.2, it gives just the
first line of the above message and then finally loads the file (unknown type
44505056 of b4_type).

Am I doing something wrong(like not setting something) or is there somekind of
bug? Does Dpaint II save files differently than the original did?

Thank you for any help!

                                          Iqbal S. Hans

        UUCP:   {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!iqbal
        ARPA:   crash!pnet01!iqbal@nosc
        INET:   iqbal@pnet01.CTS.COM
                                Iqbal S. Hans

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (03/28/87)

In article <920@crash.CTS.COM> iqbal@pnet01.CTS.COM (Iqbal Hans) writes:

>I spent 2 1/2 hours today working on a lo-res picture in the full video format
>and then I saved it. But, now I can't load it again. Dpaint II just says:
>
>             (something like)
>             unable to load 'file'
>             Dpaint IO error.
>
>What's wrong? I even switch to full video mode before loading it, but I still
>get this error.
>The Deluxe Video Framer also says IO error and can't load it.

If DPaint II can't reload it, then somehow the file got corrupted.  Check
the second longword in the file.  It should equal the filesize - 8.
If that's ok, then it's possible that one of the chunk headers is bad.
This would be fixable with a hex file editor such as Filezap.  Mail
me a hex dump (1 screenful only please) of the beginning of the file.
I just need till a bit past "BODY".  Also tell me the file size
(as shown with LIST).  If I see a problem, I'll tell you what to patch.

>I noticed that I can load pictures created with Dpaint 1.1 with no problem by
>using Showall, but when I try to load ones created with 1.2, it gives just the
>first line of the above message and then finally loads the file (unknown type
>44505056 of b4_type).

44505056 is the new Dpaint II perspective chunk DPPV ($44 $50 $50 $56 in ASCII)
Showall is apparently well-written enough to skip it, but likes to complain
about it. (IFF readers should skip all chunks they don't understand or
don't care about).

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180