[comp.sys.amiga] FIXHUNK and SLIDESHOW

richc@madvax.UUCP (03/31/87)

	I tried the PD program SLIDESHOW with extended memory&V1.2 and
got a Stack Overflow error and had to reboot the machine.  I copied the
program to RAM: and used the PD program FIXHUNK to make sure the program
loads into chip memory only.  After running FIXHUNK on SLIDESHOW, it reports
that all hunks are now in chip memory and none in fast memory.  When I
run the converted SLIDESHOW, the system comes up with a DEBUG requester
telling me to select cancel.  When I select cancel, the Stack Overflow
message is displayed, then a GURU message comes up.  Yes, I've tried to
increase the stack size (stack=50000) and still I get a Stack Overflow error
message.  Is this a problem with FIXHUNK, SLIDESHOW or extended memory, or
the way I've read the documentation.

PS. The program SLIDESHOW does work with no memory expansion.

Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

rouaix@inria.UUCP (04/02/87)

 <531@madvax.UUCP> writes :
>	I tried the PD program SLIDESHOW with extended memory&V1.2 and
>got a Stack Overflow error and had to reboot the machine.  I copied the
> PS. The program SLIDESHOW does work with no memory expansion.
 Try HIDE instead. The uuencoded executable was posted some weeks ago.
Hide forces all memory allocations made with AllocMem() to take place
in CHIP memory.
When your application uses its stack to store information that should be in
CHIP memory, and since the task stack is always in FAST memory, the only
way i know to have your application run correctly with memory expansion
is to use HIDE.