[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench bug?

michael@stb.UUCP (03/18/87)

I seem to have a problem moving workbench icons around; it sometimes locks
up. Not task held, lock up.

Configuration: 2meg fast, 2meg vdisk (1/2 full)
Kick version 180, work ver 47 (33.xx)

It always occurs when moving a disk icon, never a file icon.

As a second question, why does my system want to re-verify my workbench
disk AFTER it has loaded? It seems to occur when I do a loadwb -debug
in my startup-sequence. Any clues?
--
: Michael Gersten		ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!remsit!stb!michael
:				sdcrdcf!trwrb!ucla-an!remsit!stb!michael

wagner@utgpu.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <1526@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:

>As a second question, why does my system want to re-verify my workbench
>disk AFTER it has loaded? It seems to occur when I do a loadwb -debug
>in my startup-sequence. Any clues?

Happens to me every time.  And I just do a plain LOADWB.  No debug.
Started with the release version of 1.2  Never used to happen on whatever
Beta release I had for a while there.  As you can imagine, it really slows
down boots.

>--
>: Michael Gersten

Michael Wagner

hobie@sq.UUCP (03/24/87)

	What does `loadwb -debug' do for you?  I've never heard of it before.

 Hobie ("I believe in bugs") Orris 	|
 SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.		|"There'll be no more giant leeches
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| When you find the good Lord Jesus"

(NSA terrorist CIA cryptography DES drugs NRO cipher IRS secret RSA decode
coke libyan crack penguin lust russian nuclear missile atom assassinate)

john13@garfield.UUCP (03/25/87)

> In article <1526@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
> >As a second question, why does my system want to re-verify my workbench
> >disk AFTER it has loaded? It seems to occur when I do a loadwb -debug
> >in my startup-sequence. Any clues?

This happened to me when the disk got full. It worked after I deleted a file
that had used up the last free block on the disk. I imagine everyone's
favourite Workbench is pretty full by now...

John

michael@stb.UUCP (03/28/87)

Actually, I found the answer myself.

Just before the loadwb, I am doing

date ?
date
echo > :t/t

The loadwb apparently does something similar to diskchange, on all the disks
it can find (my guess: so it can get "disk mounted" messages back to see
which icons to put up). A simple sleep 2 (or rather, wait 2) before the
loadwb fixes that.
--
: Michael Gersten		ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!remsit!stb!michael
:				sdcrdcf!trwrb!scgvaxd!stb!michael

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <1987Mar24.131921.11957@sq.uucp> hobie@sq.UUCP (Hobie Orris) writes:

> What does `loadwb -debug' do for you?  I've never heard of it before.

   Loadwb -debug adds a fourth untitled menu to the workbench backdrop.
Under 1.2, this menu contains "Debug" (throws you into RomWack) and
"Flushlibs" (flushes all disk-resident devices/libraries/fonts which
are hanging around in ram but are not currently opened).  The Flushlibs
is handy for checking if a program which uses disk-resident libs/devs/fonts
is really deallocating everything it should.  After the Flushlibs, all
memory should be returned.  All Flushlibs does is a too-big AllocMem which
fails.  Any memory request which can't be satisfied causes AllocMem to
kick out any devs/libs/fonts that are hanging around, hopefully freeing
up enough ram to satisfy the request.  Flushlibs is also handy for
forcing a disk resident device/lib/font to be freshly loaded from
disk.  (For instance - If you are writing a printer driver and want
your new version to be loaded in for testing).

   1.1 Workbench's Debug menu contained some additional selections for
kprintf'ing various system lists out the serial port.  The additional
selections were removed to make room for 1.2 OS enhancements.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180