[net.wanted] query on IBM PC editors

davidra@batcomputer.UUCP (07/15/86)

I'm looking for a good editor for programming under MS-DOS and have yet
to find one.  Ideally, I'd like to run vi or emacs, but I haven't the time
to port those editors over.  We do have a UNIX source license, so if anyone
out there HAS a vi for MS-DOS, we would be very interested.  Otherwise,
here are some of our criterea for the ideal editor:

	- never requires the use of function keys, including
		the arrow keys (or allows control keys
		to be defined to do the work of all function keys)

	- doesn't turn tabs into spaces or vice-versa

	- has global search and replace

Please reply to davidra@lasspvax; it gets to me there faster than at this
address or a followup article.

rob@dadla.UUCP (Rob Vetter) (07/16/86)

In article <621@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> davidra@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Penguin ) writes:
>I'm looking for a good editor for programming under MS-DOS and have yet
>to find one.
>
>	- never requires the use of function keys, including
>		the arrow keys (or allows control keys
>		to be defined to do the work of all function keys)

	SPF works best with function keys, but it is useable without
	them.  There are alot of differences between it and vi.  Most
	of them neutral tradeoffs, but some of them are good (ex. block
	moves, deletes, copies are easier), and some of them are bad
	(movement can be specified by line or character but not by word
	or sentence).

	Check it out !!
--

Rob Vetter
(503) 629-1044

"Waste is a terrible thing to mind" - NRC
  (Well, they COULD have said it)

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (07/17/86)

> I'm looking for a good editor for programming under MS-DOS...

General consensus is probably that there are THREE good editors available
for the PC commercially... BRIEF, EPSILON and KEDIT.  All are heavily
configurable as to function keys.  KEDIT can treat tabs either way, not
sure about the other two.  EPSILON is an EMACS variant.  BRIEF has the
best UNDO and better windows than anybody else.  KEDIT will be the most
familiar without customization to someone with an IBM background.  BRIEF
supports regular expressions the best.  EPSILON has the most trouble
with resident software, but gives you multi-tasking windows to make up
for it.  BRIEF and EPSILON have powerful script capabilities built in,
KEDIT relies on a Personal/REXX interface...  take your pick.
--

Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery

john@quad1.UUCP (John Crane) (07/19/86)

I posted a review of esp from Software Resources in Santa Monica
a couple of weeks back. You can do anything with it that you
can with the other editors that keep getting mentioned. I recommend
it for both programming and word processing applications.

Don't like function keys? Esp only uses the 10 standard keys, but
you can map them to Alt+ or Ctl+ combinations in a startup profile
and forget about them from then on.

The thing I really like about esp is if you have a large amount of
main memory, you can edit up to 10 large C programs and flip
back and forth between any of them at any time. If you have a color
monitor, you can color each file a different color so you don't get
mixed up.

The problem I have with emacs is that the commands are so cryptic.
Also, how about ^P to move up one line. Ever try that with one hand?

The problem with vi is that it is a line editor posing as a full
screen editor.

I think we should move the subject of PC editors to net.religion
where it belongs.

John Crane

cmoore@amdimage.UUCP (07/23/86)

In article <621@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> davidra@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Penguin ) writes:
>I'm looking for a good editor for programming under MS-DOS ...

I remember seeing an editor called 'Z', which I think was written
by Manx software.  They claim that it is vi compatable, and that
"if you know vi, you know Z."  I tried using it, found out it
wouldn't handle a file over 64K, and gave up on it.  If you're
not going to edit big files, it might be worthwhile.

Any project can be built with a handful of parts if you have
big enough hands.

 Chris Moore (408) 749-4692
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!cmoore