[comp.sys.amiga] Really bad disk

philip@dalcsug.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <1580@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP writes:
>I know.... I'm working on it.  Though, at least on occasion, the thing you're
>trying to read is completely trashed, and nothing short of some serious
>magick would help it.  That's, of course, what backups are for.

Yesterday I did what I have nightmares about ... I pulled a disk out while
the drive light was on.  Egad!  Panic!  thank god it was not irreplaceable,
but I thought that I would just fix it with disksalv and everything would
be wonderful.  I was wrong.
I reinserted the disk and to my suprise (and dismay) it crashed my Amiga
when it tried to validate the disk!

I managed to make a copy of the disk (using diskcopy) and tried the copy ...
Bango!  the copy crashed Amy too.  Third copy, same thing.

I have yet to try this on another machine, but has anyone else ever had this
happen?  What causes it?  I wouldn't think that the validator could
crash itself by reading a bad disk -  but since it can, it looks like we
have another thing to have nightmares about...

Peter Philip
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

-------------------------
Look ma!  No disclaimers!
-------------------------

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (04/02/87)

Horrors, does pulling a disk out of an Amiga while the drive is on really
kill it?  I've never seen a computer that did that, of course with the
exception of a Mac, which won't even give the damn things back when you want
them some times. (A friend once got a disk stuck in a Mac and got angry and
pulled the entire machine apart to get it out.  Luckily he was an
engineering/CS whiz and could put it back together.)
                                    adam

mwm@eris.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <588@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> engst@batcomputer.UUCP (Adam C. Engst) writes:
>Horrors, does pulling a disk out of an Amiga while the drive is on really
>kill it?  I've never seen a computer that did that, of course with the
>exception of a Mac, which won't even give the damn things back when you want

This is the result of having a buffer cache. Computers with buffer
caches tend to fry the disk if you don't give them time to flush the
cache. Worst disk problems I've ever had resulted from pulling a disk
from my z80 with cache, not hearing it beeping at me or noticing the
message on the screen asking that I put the disk back, and putting in
the next disk I wanted to work on. It promply flushed the cache (the
full 1/2Meg) onto the new disk, resulting in two very dead disks.

As for disks going bad, _every_ computer I've ever worked with has
those problems, from Cray's to TRS-80's. Even the Apple ][. Buying
high-dollar disks helps, but doesn't solve the problem. Apples ]['s
seem to be better than average; but the error checking on the Woz
machine is bad enought that hardware engineers claim that the silly
thing will write to a pancake without complaining.

N.B. - expensive systems have hooks to cover for bad blocks. Either
the hardware will reserve tracks to map bad blocks to, or the software
will arrange to not use those blocks. On the Cray, installing a new
disk involves "flawing" the disk to find the bad blocks, then mapping
file system partitions (not what you Unix wizards think they are!)
around them.

	<mike
--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		ucbvax!mwm

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/02/87)

>Horrors, does pulling a disk out of an Amiga while the drive is on really
>kill it?  I've never seen a computer that did that, of course with the
>exception of a Mac, which won't even give the damn things back when you want
>them some times. (A friend once got a disk stuck in a Mac and got angry and
>pulled the entire machine apart to get it out.  Luckily he was an
>engineering/CS whiz and could put it back together.)
>                                    adam

	Only if the Amiga is writing to the drive at the time.  I've pulled
disks out of spinning drives all the time (when I'm sure it's not writing)
without damaging my disks.

				-Matt

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <38@dalcsug.UUCP>, philip@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) writes:
> Yesterday ... I pulled a disk out while the drive light was on...
> ... I thought that I would just fix it with disksalv ... I reinserted
> it ... it crashed my Amiga when it tried to validate the disk!
>
> Peter Philip

[How's that for creative editing?]

The problem with this disk is that the directory structure is corrupt
and some types of corruption (like a block pointer to hilbert space)
will cause a crash rather than the familiar "Use DISKDOCTOR" message.
You might try running DISKDOCTOR on it but specify it by volume name
rather than drive name. That way you could pop it in when the "Insert
Disk" requester came up. Hopefully DiskDoctor would 'inhibit' the
drive before it got validated.
--
--Chuck McManis

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (04/04/87)

in article <16084@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) says:
>> Yesterday ... I pulled a disk out while the drive light was on...
>> ... I thought that I would just fix it with disksalv ... I reinserted
>> it ... it crashed my Amiga when it tried to validate the disk!
>> Peter Philip
>
> The problem with this disk is that the directory structure is corrupt
> and some types of corruption (like a block pointer to hilbert space)
> will cause a crash rather than the familiar "Use DISKDOCTOR" message.
> You might try running DISKDOCTOR on it but specify it by volume name
> rather than drive name. That way you could pop it in when the "Insert
> Disk" requester came up. Hopefully DiskDoctor would 'inhibit' the
> drive before it got validated.
> --
> --Chuck McManis

DiskSalv wouldn't run into trouble with that type of clobbered disk, but
it currently doesn't do anything to prevent the validator from kicking
in, and in this case, crashing.  The problem's very simple to correct;
in the case of DiskSalv, if I had provided the capability of specifying
the output drive before the disk is inserted, all of the higher level
AmigaDOS stuff could have been cut out.  DiskSalv seems to work pretty
well for a number of cases, but it does have its problems.  I'm thinking
of a number of things I could have done better back then, but of course,
hindsite is all-knowing.  Anyway, I've come to learn that many of the
things that I didn't account for in DiskSalv were based on my ignorance
that these things could ever occurr.  So if you've got things that
DiskSalv or any other recovery utility can't recover, let me know via
E-Mail and maybe we can get together and fix your thing, and maybe add
to the power of a new DiskSalv release.  A new DiskSalv release for
devices other that floppies will definately be forthcoming, though based
on the limited amount of time I have for this, I can't give any specific
release date.  If everything goes reasonably well, I might be able to
send out a new release by June.
Dave Haynie     Commodore Technology              // /|  ___   __   __   __
  {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh          |\  // /_|     | /  \ /  \ /  \
Commodore rarely admits to knowing me,        \\// /  |  +--+ |  | |  | |  |
  much less sharing my personal opinions.      \/ /   |  |___ \__/ \__/ \__/