[comp.sys.amiga] Todd Rundgren & Computers & Amiga

ed@plx.UUCP (03/30/87)

While far from a lecture or a performance, Todd Rundgren's "Master's Demo"
at the West Coast Computer Faire was interesting nonetheless.

The theme of the presentation was "Crackpot Software" or unconventional
approaches to music composition/performance using a computer.  Todd
used a Macintosh and a new Mac II to demonstrate some really *NEAT*
software like "Studio Session Player". Rundgren thought this a "Crackpot"
piece of software because of the almost overdone graphics (it looks like
a casette player on the screen).

Crackpot is not inherently a negative discription. Todd made no complaints
about the software he demoed other than the fact that they were not yet
available.

An interesting demo involved a package called "M".  M is a transition-table
based tool for exploring permutations of a musical theme.

Another interesting package, whose name escapes me now, used a grid to
display and manipulate chords.  I think he said that someone at the MIT
media-lab write it.

Todd seemed annoyed with the fact that AMIGA had blown him off completely.
He was expecting an AMIGA rep to show up with some software to demo.
While he did not think the AMIGA was a Crackpot machine, he suggested
that those who were involved with marketing the AMIGA may be so since
AMIGA was happy to have Todd's AMIGA serve as lampstand during the demo.
TODD NEVER EVEN BOOTED THE THING UP!

I was SHOCKED by the quality of the "Studio Session Player" package
from  BOGAS <<---(that's their name folks!).  Considering the fact
that there was *NO* additional hardware required to get SAMPLED SOUNDS
on a Mac. Is this really true?  I swear, it sounded better than the
AMIGA.  Drum sounds too! Electric Guitar! WOW!

OH, Todd briefly played some sampled sounds on the Mac II! WOW!
Todd said he heard someone had completely downloaded a copy of
Peter Gabriel's "SO" album on to a Mac II hard disk.  This same
someone was able to play it back through the Mac II's 16-Bit D/A's!!

-ed-

rap@dana.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <577@plx.UUCP>, ed@plx.UUCP (Ed Chaban) writes:

> While far from a lecture or a performance, Todd Rundgren's "Master's Demo"
> at the West Coast Computer Faire was interesting nonetheless.
>
> I was SHOCKED by the quality of the "Studio Session Player" package
> from  BOGAS <<---(that's their name folks!).  Considering the fact
> that there was *NO* additional hardware required to get SAMPLED SOUNDS
> on a Mac. Is this really true?  I swear, it sounded better than the
> AMIGA.  Drum sounds too! Electric Guitar! WOW!

On a lighter note, one comment that probably was missed by most people
was that ALL-BUT-ONE (and I don't recall which that was) of the demos
that he showed used EXTERNAL-MIDI for the playback.  In other words,
only one of the demos used the Mac to synthesize sound on the fly.
This was stated at 12:10, just as I was getting up to leave and
revisit the dealer area.

Just thought I'd pass on what I remember hearing.  Yes the sounds
were very good, but... is it MIDI or is it M*C ??????????

(sigh)

Rob Peck	hplabs!dana!rap

RLWALD@pucc.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <577@plx.UUCP>, ed@plx.UUCP (Ed Chaban) writes:
>OH, Todd briefly played some sampled sounds on the Mac II! WOW!
>Todd said he heard someone had completely downloaded a copy of
>Peter Gabriel's "SO" album on to a Mac II hard disk.  This same
>someone was able to play it back through the Mac II's 16-Bit D/A's!!

  Maybe on a really large disk, with a reduced sampling rate!

  But the Mac II only has 8-bit D/A's built in.
-Rob Wald                Bitnet: RLWALD@PUCC.BITNET
   "BLAM! BLAM!,         Uucp: {ihnp4|allegra}!psuvax1!PUCC.BITNET!RLWALD
    Avon calling."       Arpa: RLWALD@PUCC.Princeton.Edu
"They're unfriendly,which is fortunate,really. They'd be difficult to like"-Avon
"Its Sulphuric Acid, you're soaking in it" -Dark Madge

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (03/31/87)

[Note the cross postings were removed, lets *not* start a small war ok?]

In article 3139, ed wrote :

> While far from a lecture or a performance, Todd Rundgren's "Master's Demo"
> at the West Coast Computer Faire was interesting nonetheless.
>
> The theme of the presentation was "Crackpot Software" or unconventional
> approaches to music composition/performance using a computer.  Todd
> used a Macintosh and a new Mac II to demonstrate some really *NEAT*
> software like "Studio Session Player". Rundgren thought this a "Crackpot"
> piece of software because of the almost overdone graphics (it looks like
> a casette player on the screen).

This really was a neat demo/lecture/whathaveyou. I talked to the Studio
Session people at the faire and found they have some really *sharp*
programmers.  They can load the samples into memory and mix and play
them through the Mac's D/A converter in realtime, they are limited to
six voices only because the D/A converter is only 8 bits. The samples
are internally added and then truncated to 8 bits before shipping them
out to the D/A. Thus if all six voices are playing you only get about
6 bits of information left after the addition and scaling operation but
that is still ok for the human ear. (max error 1/64 or 1.6%) I talked
to them about the Amiga a bit, and their programmer seemed to think with
its four D/A converters and smart DMA channels he could probably get
12 voices. The only drawback is that the CPU is really involved so there
are not many cycles left over for other tasks.

> Todd seemed annoyed with the fact that AMIGA had blown him off completely.
> He was expecting an AMIGA rep to show up with some software to demo.
> While he did not think the AMIGA was a Crackpot machine, he suggested
> that those who were involved with marketing the AMIGA may be so since
> AMIGA was happy to have Todd's AMIGA serve as lampstand during the demo.
> TODD NEVER EVEN BOOTED THE THING UP!

I talked to Todd when he stopped by the F.A.U.G. Booth on saturday. He
expressed his dissapointment that there were not more 'interesting'
sound packages available for it. I told him about Pro-Midi studio from
SoundScape which he said he would look at. We both agreed that DMCS for
the Amiga was not very useful in it's present form.

> I was SHOCKED by the quality of the "Studio Session Player" package
> from  BOGAS <<---(that's their name folks!).  Considering the fact
> that there was *NO* additional hardware required to get SAMPLED SOUNDS
> on a Mac. Is this really true?  I swear, it sounded better than the
> AMIGA.  Drum sounds too! Electric Guitar! WOW!

Yup, the Mac does have a built in 8 bit D/A channel. And yes with clever
programming you can get six sampled voices out of it. If that programmer
at studio session comes through we should see what they can do with 4
times the hardware with a DMA assist to boot. Should be a small orchestra.
Of course they will do it on the Mac II first, then the Amiga (oh well).

> OH, Todd briefly played some sampled sounds on the Mac II! WOW!
> Todd said he heard someone had completely downloaded a copy of
> Peter Gabriel's "SO" album on to a Mac II hard disk.  This same
> someone was able to play it back through the Mac II's 16-Bit D/A's!!
> -ed-

The Mac II has 8 bit D/A's *not* 16 bit ones. As a matter of fact they
are nearly identical to the Amiga's. Both have hardware DMA channels to
feed them, both have filters at 7.12 Khz to filter off spurious harmonics.
I believe the 3db point on the Mac filters may be at a slightly higher
frequency than the Amiga's since some 'hiss' (quantitazation noise)
comes through on some of their samples.

All in all a very entertaining show.

--
--Chuck McManis

csz@well.UUCP (04/01/87)

>Todd said he heard someone had completely downloaded a copy of
>Peter Gabriel's "SO" album on to a Mac II hard disk.  This same
>someone was able to play it back through the Mac II's 16-Bit D/A's!!

Horse puckey.  The Mac II has >>8-bit<< sampling at 44 kHz.  And
to record a whole album at that rate, even with 8-bit resolution,
would take about 100 megabytes.  In mono.  You can't get a hard
disk that big for the Mac II yet.

ses@oliveb.UUCP (04/01/87)

>>Todd said he heard someone had completely downloaded a copy of
>>Peter Gabriel's "SO" album on to a Mac II hard disk.  This same
>>someone was able to play it back through the Mac II's 16-Bit D/A's!!

I believe Todd Rundgren said someone had downloaded one SONG to a Mac hard
disk.  This is a bit more reasonable than a whole album, even at 8 bit
resolution.

Dean Brunette                          DISCLAIMER: I'm in it for myself..
Olivetti Advanced Technolgy Center      _____   _____   __|__   _____
Cupertino, CA 95014                    |     |  _____|    |    |
                                       |_____| |_____|    |__  |_____
{ucbvax,etc.}!oliveb!olivej!ses

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (04/02/87)

Hi,

Yes, the new Mac II seems like it has the capability to threaten
what is now Amiga's unique market niche as a "media machine".  The
design of the A-1000 as a multi media device (not to mention multi
tasking device) is what prompted me to get an Amiga 1-1/2 years
ago.  Based on the kinds of articles that are popping up in the
popular magazines these days, it would appear that the world is
cathing on to what we Amiga owners already know-- that multi media
computing can be both fun and productive.

Before I get upteen nasty emails, I guess I should temper
(appropriate word, huh?) what I mean.  The Mac II certainly is not
an alternative to the Amiga, since the Mac II is in an entirely
different price category.  You can buy about four basic Amiga
systems for the cost of a basic Mac II.  What worries me is that
the momentum of the Mac II as a technology leader might carry over
into the more slug-ish normal Mac products that are more price
competitors with the Amiga.

The new A-2000 (or is it A-2500 as seen in the Amigaworld
pictures?) is a nice step in the direction of staving of the Mac
II.  Actually the A-2000 is a more practical machine since it is
stating out with a big price advantage (about 50% less than Mac II)
and has a more popular device (IBM PeeCee) buss.  I think both you
and I'll cetainly agree that the PeeCee buss is nasty and outdated,
but there are zillions of nifty things already available to plug
in, ranging from hi-res graphics cards, 80386 coprocessors, and
even 68K cards that can run (Xe | U | ? )nix.  Stick that in your
Nubus.  True, the Mac II Nubus derives from VME buss, but people
still have to revamp their cards to be able to Mac them.  Nubus
cards are also going to be expensive for some time to come, for the
same reson that current A-1000 add-ons are expensive.

are pretty impressive relative to all the other technology as of
1-1/2 years ago (especially in the price range), but the other guys
are catching up and surpassing us.  I've been using the Amiga to
write music, and I'm definitely not satisfied with the quality of
the 8-bit sound.  It doesn't have enough subtlety to express really
neat musical ideas.  The Amiga sound is quite adequate for preview
purposes to rough out a score with Deluxe Music, or whatever.
Certiainly, the sounds are adequate for most adventure game
software.

I wrote to Electronic Arts, since there was a little survey card in
the box with DMCS asking what sort of stuff we want to see.  They
were asking both hard- and soft- ware.  I suggested that I'd like
to see a nice waveform editor.  Also, I put a bug in their ear that
I'd like to see a quality 14 or 16 bit sampler that can hack 44.1
KHz sampling rate (for CD compatibility) or higher.  I guess I
could handle 12 bits in a pinch, as long as I wasn't using the
Amiga as a solo instrument.  I'd also be willing to put up with an
option card that has FM- analog synthesis  (like that used in
Yammaha DX series keyboards).

Speaking of Yammaha, I've been using the FB-01 synthesizer via a
midi interface on my Amiga at home.  The FB-01 has very nice sound
quality.  It supports up to 8 different voices, depending on how
many instruments are selected, and the octave ranges allocated.
The price is pretty reasonalbe:  About $280 + $49-59 for a midi
adapter for the Amiga's serial port.  The FB-01 does not have
internal amplification, but it can be patched into your stereo just
as you would your Amiga.  The FB-01 is also small, about the size
of a textbook.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Med.
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <135@dana.UUCP> rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>In article <577@plx.UUCP>, ed@plx.UUCP (Ed Chaban) writes:
>>
>> While far from a lecture or a performance, Todd Rundgren's "Master's Demo"
>> at the West Coast Computer Faire was interesting nonetheless.
>>
>> I was SHOCKED by the quality of the "Studio Session Player" package
>> from  BOGAS <<---(that's their name folks!).  Considering the fact
>> that there was *NO* additional hardware required to get SAMPLED SOUNDS
>> on a Mac. Is this really true?  I swear, it sounded better than the
>> AMIGA.  Drum sounds too! Electric Guitar! WOW!
>>
>On a lighter note, one comment that probably was missed by most people
>was that ALL-BUT-ONE (and I don't recall which that was) of the demos
>that he showed used EXTERNAL-MIDI for the playback.  In other words,
>only one of the demos used the Mac to synthesize sound on the fly.
>This was stated at 12:10, just as I was getting up to leave and
>revisit the dealer area.
>
>Just thought I'd pass on what I remember hearing.  Yes the sounds
>were very good, but... is it MIDI or is it M*C ??????????
>
>(sigh)
>
>Rob Peck	hplabs!dana!rap

It's the Mac.  My wife & I bought this software (and the MacNifty Digitizer,
which will let you create even more instrument definitions).  It's still
only 8-bit, 22KHz sampling rate, but you have to hear it to believe it.
Some of the classical instruments (flute, recorder, etc.) are a little fuzzy,
but for only software, I'm not complaining...

-=-

"The greatest warriors are				Clayton Elwell
the ones who fight for peace."			Elwell@Ohio-State.ARPA
		--Holly Near		   ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!elwell