[comp.sys.amiga] Power up LED dance

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (04/05/87)

Hi,

	You know I've been wondering for a while what the boot-up
blinking and the boo-di-didi-didi-didi-didi-doot from the speaker
indicate.  Obviously, the sound indicates wheter or not you've got
your audio cable put on correctly.

	So far, I haven't run across a description of the blinkey
LED in the tech dox.  It'd be neat if it was smart enought to blink
some sort of error code if it detected a hardware failure that
prevented the monitor from operating.  I guess, at the very least
it is positive indication that the mahcine is rebooting, which
would help in spotting the occasional irrational software that
causes a reboot sans guru visitation.

  --Bill

wtm@neoucom.UUCP   --or--   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (04/06/87)

		[A sacrificial token.....]

	I don't know what great internal significance the blinkey-boot-up
has, but it does mean *something*.

	The instructions that come with the Turbo-Amiga (CSA) say that
the blinkey-boot-up light should flash at a rate about half that of a
standard Amiga to indicate that the 68020 has assumed total control of
the Amiga's metabolism.

	Why a digital (beneficial) virus such as the 68020 should cause the
light to blink at half the rate escapes me, but......it KNOWS.

					-Jere

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <538@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>Hi,
>	You know I've been wondering for a while what the boot-up
>blinking and the boo-di-didi-didi-didi-didi-doot from the speaker
>indicate.  Obviously, the sound indicates wheter or not you've got
>your audio cable put on correctly.

Basically, the blinky-LED and the screen background color tell the
initiate how far a sick machine gets before it craps out.  The
shift-lock LED on the keyboard also indicates keyboard problems.

The audio stuff is supposed to be the opening notes of some classical
theme, but since it's part of the boot ROM's, it dissapears when you
have kickstart in ROM.

Sorry for not posting the details, but I don't have them at hand and
will have to do so on another day.

markr@garfield.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <538@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP writes:
> 	You know I've been wondering for a while what the boot-up
> blinking and the boo-di-didi-didi-didi-didi-doot from the speaker
> indicate.  Obviously, the sound indicates wheter or not you've got
> your audio cable put on correctly.
>
>   --Bill

    Well Bill wonder no more:

I went to plug in an IBM printer with an IBM cable into my Amiga.
When I flick on the Amiga, the old LED blinked and never stoped.
[It didn't even look at kickstart!] When I took out the cable it
worked fine again. [[Can you say lucky boys and girls?]]

    That was as close to blowing my Amiga that I have ever come yet!

Joseph Dawson

kinner@wsucshp.UUCP (04/09/87)

	You know I've been wondering for a while what the boot-up
        blinking and the boo-di-didi-didi-didi-didi-doot from the speaker
I believe that's called the "Power Chord".