[comp.sys.amiga] RRD filling

PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM (Aubrey Sparkman) (04/09/87)

In Message <1807@vax135.UUCP> Charles Poirier <cjp%vax135.UUCP@milano> writes:

>I've found RRD to be a tremendous help in program development.  There's
>enough room in my vd0: to store lots of nice utilities but there's no
>room for these utilities on my Manx compiler disk.  So, I first boot
>my Workbench which starts up from a script which loads all the utilities
>I want into vd0:.  Then I pop in Manx and reboot (to set up all the
>Manxish thingies) and still have those utilities on-line!  Great stuff.
>
>	Charles Poirier

I also wanted more in my RRD than would fit on one disk.  My solution was
to put a line in my startup sequence (copy wb2: to vd0: all) to get the
rest of the stuff.  It even reminds me to put in volume wb2 in case I
forget.  Could this save you from doing a reboot?

And thanks, Perry.

Aubrey

I disclaim sanity.
Pkg.sparkman@mcc.com
-------

mwm@eris.UUCP (04/10/87)

>>I also wanted more in my RRD than would fit on one disk.  My solution was
>>to put a line in my startup sequence (copy wb2: to vd0: all) to get the
>>rest of the stuff.  It even reminds me to put in volume wb2 in case I
>>forget.  Could this save you from doing a reboot?

I took a different route, being a believer in modules. I've got a set
of scripts in s: named "make-<package>-vd". They all do the same kinds
of things: copy stuff to vd0: if it's not there, and then make the
assigns that package wants. It copies from the volume name that the
package lives on, so it also asks for them if I forget.

An alternative strategy I've considered is to have a file called
"make" on each disk that does the same thing. That way, "execute
df1:make" will do the trick.

While playing with TeX, I had close to 2meg in vd0:. When I start
playing with LaTeX, I expect things to go over 2Meg in vd0:.

As an aside, I'm using Katin's (sp?) vdk: driver instead of the ASDG
rrd driver (which is why ASDG hasn't got my $10). It allows me
multiple devices, but doesn't need it, as the same mountlist entry
works both with and without expansion ram. It also doesn't have a
fixed size limit.

	<mike
--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		ucbvax!mwm

perry@sfsup.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <12293022048.57.PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM>, PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM.UUCP writes:
> >Manxish thingies) and still have those utilities on-line!  Great stuff.
> >
> >	Charles Poirier

No need to reboot after loading the RRD. Why not have a script is s: which
sets up only the environment variables etc needed when a specific application
is loaded. For example:

execute manx-env

where manx-env contains:

set CCTEMP=