[comp.sys.amiga] Timing on A2000 vs 1000-add-ons

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <18261@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> schoet@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Steve Schoettler) writes:

>   There must be something I missed.

>   If worst case design of peripherals for the A1000 is so bad that
>manufacturers could only make 1 or 2 slot card cages, how is it that
>now so many vendors can offer 2000-and-1 boxes?

>   I can understand how a redesign of a circuit board and adding custom
>chips can give you more timing flexibility, but how can they do it to the
>A1000 without adding wait states?

The key issue is buffering the expansion connector signals with minium DC
and capacitive loading.  The A1000 expansion design basically gives you a
bunch of "wires" dangling from processor pins.  Putting any more loading on
these lines than necessary may make a system stop working or become flakey.

Normal production variation results in some machines that will never have
problems, some worst case systems that are very sensitive and a statistical
sample of worse than worst case cripples that have problems with any expanion.

If an expansion box has buffers, then you should be able to have as many slots
as the characteristics of your bus drivers allow.

If an expansion box is not buffered, it may not work on some systems due to

If an expansion device "passes the bus" without buffering and/or with
excessive loading the same applies.

If an expansion device passes through a buffered bus, then the delays from
the multiple levels of buffering will eat up the timing margins and you are
limited to about two daisy-chained devices.

Why have many of the vendors designed devices contrary to these notions?

1) optimism - not understanding how many worst case systems you get out of
   a production run of ~150K units.  Also expecting Commodore testing to
   catch all the marginal units.

2) price - doing it right costs money - people want cheap/affordable devices.

3) market expectations - customers want the "pass the bus" because it allows
   adding other expansion devices.

4) lack of a good example - C=A never made expansion boxes for developers
   to serve as a role model.

The best example of a conforming A1000 "Zorro" expansion box is the PAL made
by Byte-by-Byte which employs the C=A designs for backplane, memory and disk
controller boards.  It is quite expensive compared to the plug in expansion
devices.  CSA's expansion racks and ASDG's mini rack-D are similar design.
The Allegra memory card doesn't try to pass the bus.  Sorry if I've missed any
of the other strictly conforming devices...

Many of the most popular devices fall into a grey area in that they do not
strictly follow the recommentations in the expansion documentation, but do work
well in the vast majority of cases.  I have no wish to argue with success, but
I offer the following warnings:

1) Make sure that when you purchase the equipment that you reserve the right
   to return it (and get your money back) if it does not work in *YOUR* system.
   A note to this effect on your receipt can save you untold grief and pain.

2) If the vendor represents that modifications to your Amiga may be necessary
   or that additional devices are needed, assume that you will need these and
   factor them in on your cost comparisons.

3) Check the reviews in magazines with Amiga coverage and more important, the
   transactions on the various networks.  This may not change your plans, but
   at least you can avoid unpleasant surprises.

Well, I think that covers it.  Life would have been much simpler if the Amiga
had *no* expansion, or provided a high-dollar standardized bus interface like
a Mac-II or a mini-computer/workstation.  The A2000 represents an improvement,
a compromise somewhere in between the two, but you pay a little more...

perry@sfsup.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <18261@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, schoet@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Schoettler) writes:
>    If worst case design of peripherals for the A1000 is so bad that
> manufacturers could only make 1 or 2 slot card cages, how is it that
> now so many vendors can offer 2000-and-1 boxes?
>    I can understand how a redesign of a circuit board and adding custom
> chips can give you more timing flexibility, but how can they do it to the
> A1000 without adding wait states?
>    I have ultimate faith in ASDG; if it can be done, they will do it.
> But why were we (at least I was) led to believe by so many hardware
> vendors in the past that it couldn't be done?

Proper (full spec) buffering allows a reasonably large number of expansion
slots to be placed in ONE  expansion  box. This is what the framers of the
Zorro spec envisioned from the start.

Current  slap-on-the-side-with-uh-oh-pass-thru products  DO  NOT  PROPERLY
buffer. You're  gonna  need proper  buffering to allow proper operation. A
slap-on-the-side-with-pass-thru  product  (if  one  existed which properly
buffered the bus) would squander  the  bus buffering on exactly one board.
This means downstream products  which would presumably also buffer the bus
would begin to  incur  wait  states (slots in a single card rack though do
not incur wait states  if  the containing card rack is the first card rack
in the chain - and - to my knowledge  no  one  seriously expects two fully
buffered card racks to be plugged into each other and work reliably.).

To sum up: Buffering  is essential.  Buffering more than once leads to wait
states downstream. Sots products do not buffer because they are inefficient
card racks (they contain only one  board) and to buffer properly would mean
wait  states  for  products  downstream. Card racks are more efficient card
racks (like that one?) in  that their bus buffering ammortizes over several
boards.

Also, thanks for the faith. You're right. If it can be done - we can do it.

Perry S. Kivolowitz
ASDG