[comp.sys.amiga] NEW AMIGA MODERATOR

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/04/87)

Ok, April Fools Day has come and gone, and I think that it's time to reveal
the joke: our amiga moderator isn't coming back! Sure, I know he *intends*
to, but that's the funny thing; he never quite makes it! Get it? Ha-ha! He
sure fooled us!

Seriously, it's been at least six months, hasn't it? And I checked the
archives on "j.cc.purdue.edu", and they have not been modified since
March 11, which is another indication that "doc" has fled to Venezuala,
or at least is too busy to bother with things. Personally, I don't
care what he promises from now on, I just want a "mod.amiga.sources" alive
and well. He has some mysterious problem; fine, but let's not let that get
in the way of getting the job done.

It's time to find another one. The job is to moderate mod.amiga.sources
and mod.amiga.binaries. The "mod.amiga" group is vacant for a reason: Mr.
Page says he didn't feel that it was fulfilling any purpose, so he quit.
But it is handy to have someone handling sources and binaries.

The moderator should be either on a backbone, or (more likely) on a system
that talks to a backbone. The moderator for mod.sources requires both
a Makefile and a manual page; similarly I would suggest that the mod.
amiga.sources moderator require documentation to go with programs. He
should be willing to test programs before releasing them to make sure they
work as advertised, and aren't just a total waste of time (and network
bandwidth), and perhaps add the little extra touch now and then, like
doing very minor editing (but only when he feels inspired) of the docs
or whatever else he deems fit. And of course, he should have a stable,
permanent account and system (a person with a student account that will
go away at the end of the quarter is not really ideal).

He should also be able to either keep mod.amiga.{sources,binaries} archives,
or to arrange for them to be kept on another machine (such as trantor.umd.edu,
which is doing a pretty good job of archiving right now), and to handle
various other details like that either by himself or by delegating to other
volunteers.

Here's a chance for incredible fame and glory while performing a service
for your fellow man (and Amoeboid); who'll be the first to volunteer?
Volunteers to simply assist the main moderator are also hereby solicited,
for instance to take over while he's visiting doc in Venezuala for a
couple of weeks :-)   (Or to help test programs, or whatever)
	Doug Merritt

doc@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (04/05/87)

In article <8704040840.AA06055@ingres.Berkeley.EDU> hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) writes:
>Ok, April Fools Day has come and gone, and I think that it's time to reveal
>the joke: our amiga moderator isn't coming back! Sure, I know he *intends*
>to, but that's the funny thing; he never quite makes it! Get it? Ha-ha! He
>sure fooled us!
>
>Seriously, it's been at least six months, hasn't it? And I checked the
>archives on "j.cc.purdue.edu", and they have not been modified since
>March 11, which is another indication that "doc" has fled to Venezuala,
>or at least is too busy to bother with things. Personally, I don't
>care what he promises from now on, I just want a "mod.amiga.sources" alive
>and well. He has some mysterious problem; fine, but let's not let that get
>in the way of getting the job done.
    Gee, thanx Doug for sticking with me through a time which has been
very aggrivating for me as well as you.  If you were on the
moderators/backbone mailing list or were in contact with anyone on it,
you would realize that right now there is a HUGE arguement going on to
decide when to go with the new moderated naming scheme.  You would also
realize that I finally got sick of everything, especially not being able
to post to the group and have it get out of a few select machines, and got
Rick Adams to send out a newgrp for comp.sources.amiga (which doesn't, or
at least didn't exist everywhere).
    At the present time, I am sending out test messages over the group
to see how far they get and at the moment I don't think they are getting
out too far.  I am also going to be asking alot of the people who posted
sources to comp.sys.amiga if they would like me to repost their software
to comp.sources.amiga.  I am really sorry if you do not like my
performance as a moderator, but when I was able to post I had no complaints
and I am really working my butt off to try and get things in order for
when the new group is available everywhere...
    So, to sum it all up...  Yes, I am still here.  Yes, I will take
offense if the group does fall from my control seeing all the trouble
I have had to go through with it recently.  Yes, the group should be
everywhere soon, a newgrp WAS sent out (another may be needed).
And I am sorry that the archives are a bit out of date, that will be
rectified along with the new group creation!
    Craig Norborg
    comp.sources.amiga moderator
    doc@j.cc.purdue.edu

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/06/87)

In article <3771@j.cc.purdue.edu> doc@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Craig Norborg) writes:
In article <8704040840.AA06055@ingres.Berkeley.EDU> hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) writes:
>>Ok, April Fools Day has come and gone, and I think that it's time to reveal
>>the joke: our amiga moderator isn't coming back! Sure, I know he *intends*
>>to, but that's the funny thing; he never quite makes it! Get it? Ha-ha! He
>>sure fooled us!
>    Gee, thanx Doug for sticking with me through a time which has been
>very aggrivating for me as well as you.  If you were on the
>moderators/backbone mailing list or were in contact with anyone on it,
>you would realize that right now there is a HUGE arguement going on to
>decide when to go with the new moderated naming scheme.  You would also
>realize that I finally got sick of everything, especially not being able
>to post to the group and have it get out of a few select machines, and got
>Rick Adams to send out a newgrp for comp.sources.amiga (which doesn't, or
>at least didn't exist everywhere).

While I did not find this response all that reassuring ("Real Soon Now"),
upon checking I find that the "comp.sources.amiga" group was indeed created
sometime in the last three weeks. (Everybody should add it to their list
of subscribed newsgroups in "rn" to keep an eye on it).

Upon finding that Craig has posted some moderated stuff to this group,
I will post a public apology to him. Until then, it is still vaporware,
but I'm willing to wait a while longer if everybody else is.

But Craig, it sure would be nice if you'd let us know what's going on,
rather than waiting for flames before you speak up. I, for one, would be
somewhat reassured by periodic progress reports. And you might get some
moral support, while that is unlikely to happen so long as you remain silent.
	Doug

kim@amdahl.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <3771@j.cc.purdue.edu>, doc@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP writes:
>               I am also going to be asking alot of the people who posted
> sources to comp.sys.amiga if they would like me to repost their software
> to comp.sources.amiga.

Seems like this would be a big waste of net bandwidth.  Most everything
posted here end up on a Fish Disk in fairly short order, and is widely
available to those who missed the original posting.

Remember, we need to try and eliminate duplicated postings, not intentionally
create them.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

sean@ukma.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <3771@j.cc.purdue.edu> doc@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Craig Norborg) writes:
>In article <8704040840.AA06055@ingres.Berkeley.EDU> hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) writes:
>    At the present time, I am sending out test messages over the group
>to see how far they get and at the moment I don't think they are getting
>out too far.  I am also going to be asking alot of the people who posted
>sources to comp.sys.amiga if they would like me to repost their software
>to comp.sources.amiga.  I am really sorry if you do not like my
>performance as a moderator, but when I was able to post I had no complaints
>and I am really working my butt off to try and get things in order for
>when the new group is available everywhere...

Nothing personal, but my questions are....

Why so LONG???  There are plenty of moderated groups that work.  If it's a
valid and wanted group, it should have been fixed long ago.

Why no progress reports?  I've been reading comp.sys.amiga since late
December.  I haven't heard a thing about the moderated group from anyone,
except a few scattered questions "does it work yet?".

Sean
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
		ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

wilkes@beatnix.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <4410006@hpcvcd.HP> charles@hpcvcd.HP (Charles Brown) writes:
     [...]
> But I have
>been waiting months for my Fish disk order to come in.
     [...]
>	Charles (You want an opinion?  Hey, I've got several) Brown
>	hp-pcd!charles
>	"Out in the sticks.  Corvallis Oregon"

I suspect something is wrong...  I sent Fred a check and an order for
about 35 disks, and my order arrived at my house about 10 days later.
(Hi, Fred.  And thanks again!)  He's on the net, tho I don't have his
address handy.  Contact him if you've been waiting months.
==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==
John Wilkes --- UUCP: {ucbvax!sun, lll-lcc!styx, altos86, bridge2}!elxsi!wilkes
                ARPA: elxsi!wilkes@lll-tis-b.ARPA
                USPS: ELXSI Ltd., 2334 Lundy Pl., San Jose, CA 95131
                BELL: (408) 942-0900
"I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs." -H. L. Mencken

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <4410006@hpcvcd.HP> charles@hpcvcd.HP (Charles Brown) writes:
>If you are only talking about past software, then maybe.  But I have
>been waiting months for my Fish disk order to come in.  I feel rather

I certainly hope you aren't refering to an order you placed directly with
me.  Most of mine get filled and mailed out within two days, sometimes
three if I'm in a real busy spell.  I've even gone out and purchased
disks off the shelf of a local dealer, at double the price of my normal
bulk purchases, when necessary to avoid any delay.

Please call (602) 921-1113 to report any problems with disks received
directly from me, or with unreasonable delays (could have got lost in
the mail you know).  By the way, this line has a recorder on 24 hours per
day, and I very rarely answer it in person.  So if you don't leave a
message you are just wasting your time.

P.S.  MicroGNUemacs (mg1b) came in the mail today.  Thanks Mic!
Disks 59-68 (maybe 70 if I get real ambitious) will be released this
weekend.  I'll post a list of their contents at that time, but expect
the latest graphics hack, a graphics larn, and other goodies.

-Fred
--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!  (Moto just announced new drug testing program)  =
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA =