[comp.sys.amiga] Mail Order Blues

daemon@rutgers.UUCP (04/06/87)

From: eraps1@NADC

Hi all,
Had a spot of trouble with a mail order company.  I am sure other
people have had problems with the same company.  If you know of
a reliable mail order firm selling hardware/software for the Amiga,
please let me know.  Thought you might be interested in my solution
to mail order companies who aren't reliable.  Feel free to reuse it
for action in similar cases.

				     - Rob Ginn (eraps1@nadc.arpa)
--------------------------- Cut Here -----------------------------

Attorney General
State of California
CA
94301

Dear sir,
I have been defrauded by a company named "Go Amigo" which is based
in your state.  "Go Amigo" sells computer hardware and software,
and is located at:

                       Go Amigo
                       508 Waverley Street
                       Palo Alto, CA
                       94301

Synopsis of events:

I mail ordered (with a check), 4 items (3 pieces of software and
1 book) on Nov 21, 1986.  Please see enclosed copy of original
order.  I received a package from the company three weeks later.
The package contained 2 correct pieces of software, 1 wrong
piece of software, and 1 wrong book (correct is defined as: I
ordered it).  I called the company and was given a Return
Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number and told to ship the 2
incorrect items back (at my expense).

I returned the 2 items and another package arrived 1 week
later.  The second package contained 1 correct book; the
remaining software was missing.  Also not present was an updated
invoice.  I called the company and was told that it would be
shipped right out (I was also treated to a sob story about
"those darn shippers").

Two weeks later, I received the third package.  This package
contained 1 incorrect (not ordered) piece of software.  I called
the company and was given another RMA number and told to return
the incorrect software (at my expense), I got a repeat of the
"those darn shippers" story.

I shipped back the incorrect software.  Two weeks later I
received the fourth package.  It contained 1 incorrect piece of
software.  I called the company and told them that if they could
not ship me what I ordered that they should give me a refund.
They assured me that they would ship it out the very next day
and that I could take my time returning the incorrect software
(at my expense).  Since there was a snowstorm the next week, I
was unable to ship the package immediately.  Three days later
the roads were clear but I decided to wait for the next package
before returning the current one (thus saving on the return

postage).  After 2 weeks had passed and I had not received a
package from the company, I called to inquire about the the
package.  I was told that they had shipped it (they claimed UPS
had lost it).  Assuming that they were lying to me, and were
waiting to receive my package before they shipped theirs, I
returned the package (at my expense).

Three weeks later I received the fifth package.  It contained 1
incorrect piece of software.  I called the company and demanded
a refund.  After about 5 minutes of arguing, they agreed to send
me a refund and to have UPS call at my home for the package.
And yes, I got the "those darn shippers" sob story again.

After waiting three weeks for my refund, I called the company.
I was told that the man in charge of sending refunds was out
that week and I would receive the refund sometime next week.  I
did not receive my refund.  I called the company and talked with
a person named Karen, represented to me as the president of the
company.  I was told that the person responsible for the refund
had not sent it and that there was nothing I could do about it
since it was her job to get him to mail it.  I was also told
that since it was his job, it wasn't her responsibility.  I told
her that I didn't care whose job it was and that I was dealing
with a company, not individuals.  I told her that it was the
companys responsibility and that I expected the check by the
following Friday (7 days later) or I would take further action.
She told me that I was the 16th caller demanding a refund that
she had talked to that day.

Seven days have passed and I have not received a refund.  It has
been five and a half months since I placed the order and in my
opinion a company that can't get the job done in that time is not
likely to do it in the near future.  By the company presidents
own admission, my case is not an isolated one.  Many people have
similar difficulties with this company.

I would ask that you take whatever action you deam appropriate.
If you need more information, I am available from 9:00 to 4:30pm
EST at (215) 441-3673.  Thank you for any assistance you can
provide.

                                               Thank You,

                                               Robert Ginn

cc: Go Amigo,
    The Better Business Bureau,

encl (1)

sdl@linus.UUCP (04/07/87)

>  I have been defrauded by a company named "Go Amigo" which is based
>  in your state.  "Go Amigo" sells computer hardware and software,
>  and is located at:
>
>                         Go Amigo
>                         508 Waverley Street
>                         Palo Alto, CA
>                         94301

Before everyone gets scared to death about ordering anything from Go
Amigo, I would like to say that I, for one, have been tremendously
satisfied with ordering stuff from Go Amigo.

I have ordered stuff from Go Amigo for a year now.  In that time, all
but one item I ordered arrived reasonably promptly (i.e. within 3 days
of order).

Go Amigo did get one item wrong.  I ordered a replacement print head
for my Okimate 20 printer, but received a print head for another kind
of printer.  Karen (the lady you dealt with) gave me a Return
Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number.  I returned the item, and was
soon shipped the right print head for the Okimate 20.

Rob, I sympathize with your plight.  I've had similar problems with
department stores, publishers, etc.  But I have been satisfied with Go
Amigo; I will continue to deal with them in the future; and I would
recommend them to anyone looking for discount prices on Amiga stuff.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

nevets@ihlpm.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <1387@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU>, eraps1@nadc writes:
> From: eraps1@NADC
>

> Hi all,
> Had a spot of trouble with a mail order company.  ...
>
> 				     - Rob Ginn (eraps1@nadc.arpa)
>
> ** followed by letter to Attorney General State of California **

It turns out I had the same problem with Go Amiga.
I ordered a piece of hardware and one piece of software.
The order came, hardware correct, software wrong package.
After many months of tring to get the correct software I
told them to forget it.  Since I had used a credit card to
place the order, I was able to avoid having to go through
Go Amiga to collect a refund.  I simple told the credit card
company to cancel the bill, which they did very quickly.
Then I had Go Amiga bill me again for just the hardware.
Money wise I came out OK, but I was so dissatisfied with
Go Amiga I will not do business with them again.

					Steve Ringwood

sean@ukma.UUCP (04/07/87)

I have said this before:  Avoid StarFlite Telemarketing.  They hassled me on
a bulk floppy disk order.  After I quoted postal law to them, the disks that
*they* weren't going to get for a week arrived at my house in three days.

I have had at least one good experience with FutureSoft.  Their prices are
great (even greater for clubs).  They ship 2nd day UPS blue label for free
on orders over $100.  They have a huge selection.  The people there are
knowlegeable about what's in stock, etc.  They even let me back order Jet :-).
My first order was sent by mail on Monday morning from Lexington KY. to
Carmel California.  It arrived the next Thursday.  Not bad.  I have a second
order pending, I'll let you know what comes of it.

BTW - Anyone ever order anything from Inmac, the computer supplies company.
They're so fast it's scary.  I ordered some cable by phone at 3:30pm and
it arrived the next day.

I have had problems with a few copy-protected programs:

Activision Two on Two Basketball:
	Get this -- the disk is copy protected AND it must be write enabled
	to run.  Stupidity runs rampant in the world.  I sent a letter with
	the bad disk that explains my view on copy protection.  BTW - I copied
	the dead disk with Marauder II, and the copy WORKS.

Electronic Arts Deluxe Music Construction Set:
	Disk died.  I sent for an unprotected backup.  Cancelled check made
	it back to me before the disk did.  5 weeks after ordering I finally
	talked to someone that knows what is going on.  They were waiting for
	a newer version that had less bugs before they started shipping.  Well,
	they could have TOLD me.  Anyway, I'm supposed to call them in two
	weeks to check up on things.  Meanwhile, this pile of sheet music on
	my desk and my synth get moldy.

Marauder II:
	The program isn't copy protected, but it makes you type in something
	from the manual when it starts up.  That's OK, except you don't NEED
	the manual to use the program, I can never FIND my manual, AND I'M
	DAMN SICK AND TIRED OF LOOKING UP A STUPID WORD!!!  Perhaps
	QuickNibbleVN.N will remove this annoying behavior :-).

It's my policy now to never run from an original copy of anything.  I strongly
endorse pirating of all copy-protected software.  Perhaps when they realize
that copy protection doesn't stop it, they will change their asinine ways.
People need to be able to make backups.  Especially on an Amiga.

Sean
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
		ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

eric@hippo.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <1387@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU>, eraps1@nadc writes:
> I have been defrauded by a company named "Go Amigo" which is based
> in your state.  "Go Amigo" sells computer hardware and software,

	In their defense, I ordered a number of software titles, and
a couple of pieces of hardware from Go Amigo, and received them about a
week later (seemed like an eternity, but it was only a week, and at
the time I lived on the East Coast). The order was filled correctly,
no substitutions or back orders. When I called in the order, I did
make sure that everything I was ordering was in stock - something I
do no matter what I am mail ordering, or from whom.

	Have there been other cases of disgruntled Go Amigo customers?
Before hearing this, I would have re-used them without a second thought.

--

					eric
					...!ptsfa!hippo!eric

bret@hi.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <2263@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

>>  I have been defrauded by a company named "Go Amigo" which is based
>>  in your state.  "Go Amigo" sells computer hardware and software,
>>  and is located at:
>>

>Go Amigo did get one item wrong.  I ordered a replacement print head

Ha look. If this company is sooo messed up that they get every
two or three orders wrong I sure don't want to do business
with them. And if half of what was said about this company
is correct they don't seem to mind lying to the customers.

Bret K. Thaeler		     ARPA: thaeler@hc.dspo.gov  |          /// Amiga
College of Enginering, UNM   UUCP: hc!thaeler           |         /// user
Professional Student                                    |   \\\  ///
(505) 277-4497                                          |    \\\///  And dam
I instinctively used the Vulcan death grip.             |     \///  proud of it

hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) (04/08/87)

In article <112@hippo.UUCP> eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) writes:
>In article <1387@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU>, eraps1@nadc writes:
>> I have been defrauded by a company named "Go Amigo" which is based
>> in your state.  "Go Amigo" sells computer hardware and software,
>
>	In their defense, I ordered a number of software titles, and
> [...] When I called in the order, I did
>make sure that everything I was ordering was in stock - something I
>do no matter what I am mail ordering, or from whom.
>
>	Have there been other cases of disgruntled Go Amigo customers?
>Before hearing this, I would have re-used them without a second thought.
>					eric
>					...!ptsfa!hippo!eric

Sometime around January I called Go Amiga, because I wanted to order
a "Mouse Clock" (I forget the real name, its by Byte by Byte) and
a plain old Modem <-> Amiga serial port cable.  Both of these were
clearly advertised in the ads (and still are).  Well, when I called
the woman who answered the phone told me that weren't in stock,
and that they had never been in stock.  So obviously I didn't order.
I was angry that they had advertised falsely, but pleased that at
least they were honest to me.  But not having a stupid modem cable
in stock??  As it turned out, I found a cable elsewhere at a dealer
for $12 (Go Amiga wanted $25).  I never bought the mouse clock.
Remember that this occurred way back around Jan 1, so it may or
may not be applicable today.  Like Eric above said, whenever
you mailorder, demand to know whether its in stock.

-- Dan Green

--
ARPA:  hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

dpz@paul.UUCP (04/08/87)

> From: eraps1@nadc

> Had a spot of trouble with a mail order company.  I am sure other
> people have had problems with the same company.  If you know of
> a reliable mail order firm selling hardware/software for the Amiga,
> please let me know.  Thought you might be interested in my solution
> to mail order companies who aren't reliable.  Feel free to reuse it
> for action in similar cases.

Add a qualified vote for Go Amigo, since in the past I have ordered
expansion RAM and disks from them with great response.  I got a
turnaround from the time I sent the check to the time I received the
stuff of exactly a week and a day, which I was very impressed about.

It is possible that in this case (and the other negative followups)
either they have just had a bad day (week?  month?), but my order was
placed a few months ago, so they may have gone downhill since then.
I guess "buyer beware" is a good attitude to take now.

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpz@rutgers.edu

papa@bacall.UUCP (04/08/87)

> Before everyone gets scared to death about ordering anything from Go
> Amigo, I would like to say that I, for one, have been tremendously
> satisfied with ordering stuff from Go Amigo.
>
> I have ordered stuff from Go Amigo for a year now.  In that time, all
> but one item I ordered arrived reasonably promptly (i.e. within 3 days
> of order).

I also have used Go Amigo for a while now and had no problem.  They discount
both software and hardware, and that's enough for me.  As the guy said, if
you order by credit card you can never lose.  If they don't deliver, just
cancel your bill with MasterCard or Visa and let them deal with them.  Just
don't use a check. Use this practice will ALL mail order companies and you
will avoid all the problems.

-- Marco Papa

Marco Papa            3175 S. Hoover St., Ste. 275            (213)747-8498
                         Los Angeles, CA 90007           USC: (213)743-3752
                             F E L S I N A
Now working for                 :::::::                           BIX: papa
But in no way                   ::   ::
Officially representing         :::::::          ...!usc-oberon!bacall!papa
                            S O F T W A R E            papa@usc-cse.usc.edu

geoffk@belfry.UUCP (04/08/87)

Just an observation.  It seems the two people that have complained
about Go Amiga's service seem to be located in California where
Go Amiga is based, whereas the two people who have had satisfactory
service both ordered out-of-state.  Maybe they figure Californians
are much more laid back and won't figure out that they got the
wrong stuff!  I think the solution would be to speak with a southern
drawl the next time a dissatisfied customer talks with Karen and
to mention that they are just visiting; could result in faster
service.

--
= Disclaimer:  The views expressed above are solely my own and do not    =
=              reflect the views of NCR Corp.                            =

kim@amdahl.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <355@paul.RUTGERS.EDU>, dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) writes:

> Add a qualified vote for Go Amigo, since in the past I have ordered
> expansion RAM and disks from them with great response.
> It is possible that in this case (and the other negative followups)
> either they have just had a bad day (week?  month?), but my order was
> placed a few months ago, so they may have gone downhill since then.

Very possible.  The walkin, retail version of Go Amiga no longer has
Fish Disks available (too much bother/competition ?).  The store also
carries Mac's and some PClones.  They did drop the ST a while back,
however.  The technical competence of their staff seems to have declined
since they moved into larger quarters, and consolidated their Mac-Only
store with the location that sold the Amiga, PClones, and (then) ST's.

Oh well ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

mwm@eris.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <124@belfry.sandiego.NCR.COM> geoffk@belfry.UUCP (Geoffrey Kim) writes:
>Just an observation.  It seems the two people that have complained
>about Go Amiga's service seem to be located in California where

I've had good luck with them the few times I've dealt with them. Feed
them a credit card number, and what I order arrives in the next day or
so. And I'm in Fornicalia (or at least it sounds like that :-)...

	<mike
--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		ucbvax!mwm

sdl@linus.UUCP (04/12/87)

> I've had very good luck with Go Amig[o-a], in the last I've placed
> three or four orders for software, and documentation, and have always
> received precisely what I ordered within two or three days (usually
> shipped 2nd day UPS).  The last order I placed was around Christmas,
> so like someone else said "maybe things have changed".

My experiences with Go Amigo of late have remained satisfactory.  I
ordered ProWrite from Go Amigo on Monday, March 30.  It arrived
Thursday, April 2.  No problems.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (04/12/87)

For the record, I've ordered twice from Go Amiga (now Go Amigo, pressure
from C-A for the name change maybe?). Both times I ordered over a hundred
bucks worth of stuff, and it arrived here (Utah) 3-4 days after my phone
call.

I was pretty amazed at their speed, most of the mail-order outfits
consider 7-10 days "quick". It has been several months since my last
order though, I suppose it's possible that some problems have shown up
lately.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne