[comp.sys.amiga] ARC

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (04/12/87)

In article <6261@ukma.ms.uky.csnet> sean@ms.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) writes:
>That may result in a few saved bytes for Usenet, but it will inconvenience a
>lot of users.  ARC does two things: archiving and compressing.  For those that
>use xmodem, they must download sources one file at a time.  With ARC, they
>can do one transfer and get the whole mess.  AND it insures that file padding
>will not invalidate an executable binary.

	The recent posting of ARC (for Unix) works beautifully with
the micro versions of ARC (on the Amiga & ST at least).  I've found
that a nice alternative to transferring bunches of files one by one
with x/y/zmodem (which I prefer because its faster than kermit) is to make
an archive on the vax and split it up after downloading..  Also,
it's nice to be able to check a posted archive's integrity first,
instead of going through all the trouble of downloading it only to
find that it's messed up.

	(This doesn't have to do with the earlier arc/not-arc debate,
but it's made my life easier on many occasions).

								-ravi