[comp.sys.amiga] Using VT100/KERMIT and IBM systems

wecker@cookie.dec.com.UUCP (04/10/87)

In answer to WHY doesn't KERMIT run from the AMIGA to IBM mainframes:

In typical IBM fashion, the world is required to be syncronous. At the end
of each packet, the side sending MUST send a "turnaround character" giving
up the line to the other side.

When/if someone sends me the EXACT protocol I will add it to VT100,
until that time KERMIT (from VT100) will not be able to talk to IBM hosts.

Sorry folks... but that's the best I can do.
dave

jxc@rayssd.UUCP (04/12/87)

In article <9241@decwrl.DEC.COM>,
wecker@cookie.dec.com  (DAVE  CUM GRANO SALIS  WECKER) writes:

> In answer to WHY doesn't KERMIT run from the AMIGA to IBM mainframes:
>
> When/if someone sends me the EXACT protocol I will add it to VT100,
> until that time KERMIT (from VT100) will not be able to talk to IBM hosts.
>
> Sorry folks... but that's the best I can do.
> dave

No apologies necessary, Dave!  We've all gotten MORE than our money's
worth from VT100 (like Letterman says: 'Oh, yeah, and just HOW much did
you people pay to get in here?').  It's a fantastic public domain program!

People who want more should take the time to add it and post it to the
network.  That's how a good program gets better.

Thanks again, Dave!
   |  Jeffrey Jay Clesius,  Raytheon Submarine Signal Division    |
   |  1847 West Main Road,  Mail Stop 188                         |
   |  Portsmouth, RI  02871-1087  (401) 847-8000 (X4015)          |
   |  { allegra | gatech | mirror | raybed2 } -----\              |
   |  { linus   | ihnp4  | uiucdcs } --------------->!rayssd!jxc  |

"Start with a 'NOP' and add functionality!"

zaphod@xanth.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (04/13/87)

I don't know what you people are doing, but....

I have no problem using Kermit in the VT100 program while talking to an IBM.
In fact, CKERMIT will not talk to  the IBM, and I am forced to use the VT100
emulation program. Why? I dunno. Also, I have found that CKERMIT ( Amiga
version of UNIX kermit) will talk to our VAX host, but not to an IBM.

It's a screwed up world......

--
Chris Echard	(804)-440-3940	 UUCP:	zaphod@xanth.UUCP
Old Dominion University		   or:	...!seismo!harvard!xanth!zaphod

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (04/14/87)

The reason that C-kermit on the amiga doesn't work with the IBM, is because
the parity is not set!  I got my version of C-Kermit from kermserv@cuvma
on BITNET, and it still contains this bug.  In the CKICON.C module, look
in the connect mode function.  In about the middle of it, there is a call
to the output a character function ttocq(c).  This needs to be changed to
ttocq(dopar(c)).  There! It now works with IBM and sets parity correctly.
According to the comments in the code, Kermit does its own parity checking
and the serial.device is always in 8 bit no parity.  I always use kermit on
the mainframe and the vax.  One thing you will notice is that the standard
amiga keymap does not generate codes to be compatible with anything!  I am
in the process of writing a keymap module for amiga c-kermit to make it look
like a vt100.   Good luck!
-----Walter Reed

-----------------------
UUCP :  ihnp4!umn-cs!ndsuvax!ncreed
Bitnet: ncreed@ndsuvax  OR NU105451@NDSUVM1
Walter Reed
----------------------

gator@rpiacm.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <823@xanth.UUCP>, zaphod@xanth.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) writes:
> In fact, CKERMIT will not talk to  the IBM, and I am forced to use the VT100
> emulation program.

Tried different parity settings? One of the most commonly asked
questions on this campus concerning Kermit is "I can't get it to
work, it just hangs..." Seems the IBM side won't do squat unless
the terminal side is using even parity - leads to interesting
situations where unsuspecting students call consulting and say
student: "I can't get Kermit to..."
consultant: "EVEN PARITY."
This is an IBM 308x running MTS, probably not too typical a config.
--
    <.> <.>     Eduardo       UUCP:   ..!seismo!rpics!rpiacm!gator
   /  ___  \    Santiago      ARPA:   SANTIAGO@DEC
  |   \ /   |   Munoz          VOX:   518-274-9124
  |\       /|   Generic Disclaimer Number twenty-seven-B-stroke-six:
   \\ o o //    The above was generated by an overly precocious Amiga running
    \\___//     an AI environment written in FORTRAN, under my supervision.
     \^^^/      It bears no relation whatsoever to the views of Rensseltute.