[comp.sys.amiga] MAIL RECEIVED FROM THE BITNET

daemon@rutgers.UUCP (04/15/87)

From: blarlm%resvax%Iowa.Iowa@Juliet.Caltech.Edu

UNIVERSITY OF IOWA....START JOB 5892...... 8.48.50 AM 08 APR 87...BLATRW$M....$EMAIL_BITNIC...........UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
From: hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: NEW AMIGA MODERATOR
Date: 6 Apr 87 03:59:46 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

In article <3771@j.cc.purdue.edu> doc@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Craig Norborg) write
In article <8704040840.AA06055@ingres.Berkeley.EDU> hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU
>>Ok, April Fools Day has come and gone, and I think that it's time to reveal
>>the joke: our amiga moderator isn't coming back! Sure, I know he *intends*
>>to, but that's the funny thing; he never quite makes it! Get it? Ha-ha! He
>>sure fooled us!
>    Gee, thanx Doug for sticking with me through a time which has been
>very aggrivating for me as well as you.  If you were on the
>moderators/backbone mailing list or were in contact with anyone on it,
>you would realize that right now there is a HUGE arguement going on to
>decide when to go with the new moderated naming scheme.  You would also
>realize that I finally got sick of everything, especially not being able
>to post to the group and have it get out of a few select machines, and got
>Rick Adams to send out a newgrp for comp.sources.amiga (which doesn't, or
>at least didn't exist everywhere).
While I did not find this response all that reassuring ("Real Soon Now"),
upon checking I find that the "comp.sources.amiga" group was indeed created
sometime in the last three weeks. (Everybody should add it to their list
of subscribed newsgroups in "rn" to keep an eye on it).
Upon finding that Craig has posted some moderated stuff to this group,
I will post a public apology to him. Until then, it is still vaporware,
but I'm willing to wait a while longer if everybody else is.
But Craig, it sure would be nice if you'd let us know what's going on,
rather than waiting for flames before you speak up. I, for one, would be
somewhat reassured by periodic progress reports. And you might get some
moral support, while that is unlikely to happen so long as you remain silent.
        Doug
#! rnews           1126
From: guido@mcvax.cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.atari.st,comp.sys.amiga
Subject: What happened to the 'universal window manager interface'?
Date: 5 Apr 87 21:54:32 GMT

Long, long ago (a year?) somebody started a net-wide project whose
purpose was to design and implement an interface to window managers
which would allow applications to be written that could easily be ported
to other machines such as the Atari or the Amiga.  I believe I've even
seen a status report on the project, which mentioned some delay but
promised results in the end.
It all happened so long ago that I have completely forgotten all names
and other details of the project; even th
#! rnews            784
From: vic@bobkat.UUCP (Vic Sohal)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Amiga 500
Date: 6 Apr 87 00:09:07 GMT

        Anybody know when the Amiga 500 will be released to the masses?
        Also, what will the basic system include, and how much will it
        cost?

#! rnews            646
From: hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: cancel <8704060241.AA16753@ingres.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: 6 Apr 87 03:40:29 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
Control: cancel <8704060241.AA16753@ingres.Berkeley.EDU>

Cancelling this posting -- Doug Merritt
#! rnews           5354
From: eraps1@nadc
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Mail Order Blues
Date: 6 Apr 87 16:32:04 GMT
Sender: daemon@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU

From: eraps1@NADC
Hi all,
Had a spot of trouble with a mail order company.  I am sure other
people have had problems with the same company.  If you know of
a reliable mail order firm selling hardware/software for the Amiga,
please let me know.  Thought you might be interested in my solution
to mail order companies who aren't reliable.  Feel free to reuse it
for action in similar cases.
                                     - Rob Ginn (eraps1@nadc.arpa)
--------------------------- Cut Here -----------------------------
Attorney General
State of California
CA
94301
Dear sir,
I have been defrauded by a company named "Go Amigo" which is based
in your state.  "Go Amigo" sells computer hardware and software,
and is located at:
                       Go Amigo
                       508 Waverley Street
                       Palo Alto, CA
                       94301
Synopsis of events:
I mail ordered (with a check), 4 items (3 pieces of software and
1 book) on Nov 21, 1986.  Please see enclosed copy of original
order.  I received a package from the company three weeks later.
The package contained 2 correct pieces of software, 1 wrong
piece of software, and 1 wrong book (correct is defined as: I
ordered it).  I called the company and was given a Return
Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number and told to ship the 2
incorrect items back (at my expense).
I returned the 2 items and another package arrived 1 week
later.  The second package contained 1 correct book; the
remaining software was missing.  Also not present was an updated
invoice.  I called the company and was told that it would be
shipped right out (I was also treated to a sob story about
"those darn shippers").
Two weeks later, I received the third package.  This package
contained 1 incorrect (not ordered) piece of software.  I called
the company and was given another RMA number and told to return
the incorrect software (at my expense), I got a repeat of the
"those darn shippers" story.
I shipped back the incorrect software.  Two weeks later I
received the fourth package.  It contained 1 incorrect piece of
software.  I called the company and told them that if they could
not ship me what I ordered that they should give me a refund.
They assured me that they would ship it out the very next day
and that I could take my time returning the incorrect software
(at my expense).  Since there was a snowstorm the next week, I
was unable to ship the package immediately.  Three days later
the roads were clear but I decided to wait for the next package
before returning the current one (thus saving on the return

postage).  After 2 weeks had passed and I had not received a
package from the company, I called to inquire about the the
package.  I was told that they had shipped it (they claimed UPS
had lost it).  Assuming that they were lying to me, and were
waiting to receive my package before they shipped theirs, I
returned the package (at my expense).
Three weeks later I received the fifth package.  It contained 1
incorrect piece of software.  I called the company and demanded
a refund.  After about 5 minutes of arguing, they agreed to send
me a refund and to have UPS call at my home for the package.
And yes, I got the "those darn shippers" sob story again.
After waiting three weeks for my refund, I called the company.
I was told that the man in charge of sending refunds was out
that week and I would receive the refund sometime next week.  I
did not receive my refund.  I called the company and talked with
a person named Karen, represented to me as the president of the
company.  I was told that the person responsible for the refund
had not sent it and that there was nothing I could do about it
since it was her job to get him to mail it.  I was also told
that since it was his job, it wasn't her responsibility.  I told
her that I didn't care whose job it was and that I was dealing
with a company, not individuals.  I told her that it was the
companys responsibility and that I expected the check by the
following Friday (7 days later) or I would take further action.
She told me that I was the 16th caller demanding a refund that
she had talked to that day.
Seven days have passed and I have not received a refund.  It has
been five and a half months since I placed the order and in my
opinion a company that can't get the job done in that time is not
likely to do it in the near future.  By the company presidents
own admission, my case is not an isolated one.  Many people have
similar difficulties with this company.
I would ask that you take whatever action you deam appropriate.
If you need more information, I am available from 9:00 to 4:30pm
EST at (215) 441-3673.  Thank you for any assistance you can
provide.
                                               Thank You,

                                               Robert Ginn

cc: Go Amigo,
    The Better Business Bureau,
encl (1)
#! rnews            443
From: NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Date: Tue,  7-Apr-87 09:02:38 EST
Expires: 11-Apr-87 00:00:00 EST

Please add me to Info Amiga mailing list.
Thanx.

#! rnews           1844
From: sean@ukma.ms.uky.csnet (Sean Casey)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Date: 7 Apr 87 18:32:30 GMT
Sender: news@ukma.ms.uky.csnet

In article <3771@j.cc.purdue.edu> doc@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Craig Norborg) write
>In article <8704040840.AA06055@ingres.Berkeley.EDU> hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU
>    At the present time, I am sending out test messages over the group
>to see how far they get and at the moment I don't think they are getting
>out too far.  I am also going to be asking alot of the people who posted
>sources to comp.sys.amiga if they would like me to repost their software
>to comp.sources.amiga.  I am really sorry if you do not like my
>performance as a moderator, but when I was able to post I had no complaints
>and I am really working my butt off to try and get things in order for
>when the new group is available everywhere...
Nothing personal, but my questions are....
Why so LONG???  There are plenty of moderated groups that work.  If it's a
valid and wanted group, it should have been fixed long ago.
Why no progress reports?  I've been reading comp.sys.amiga since late
December.  I haven't heard a thing about the moderated group from anyone,
except a few scattered questions "does it work yet?".
Sean
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
                ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET
#! rnews           3220
From: sean@ukma.ms.uky.csnet (Sean Casey)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Mail order blues (and software woes)
Date: 7 Apr 87 19:07:08 GMT
Sender: news@ukma.ms.uky.csnet

I have said this before:  Avoid StarFlite Telemarketing.  They hassled me on
a bulk floppy disk order.  After I quoted postal law to them, the disks that
*they* weren't going to get for a week arrived at my house in three days.
I have had at least one good experience with FutureSoft.  Their prices are
great (even greater for clubs).  They ship 2nd day UPS blue label for free
on orders over $100.  They have a huge selection.  The people there are
knowlegeable about what's in stock, etc.  They even let me back order Jet :-).
My first order was sent by mail on Monday morning from Lexington KY. to
Carmel California.  It arrived the next Thursday.  Not bad.  I have a second
order pending, I'll let you know what comes of it.
BTW - Anyone ever order anything from Inmac, the computer supplies company.
They're so fast it's scary.  I ordered some cable by phone at 3:30pm and
it arrived the next day.
I have had problems with a few copy-protected programs:
Activision Two on Two Basketball:
        Get this -- the disk is copy protected AND it must be write enabled
        to run.  Stupidity runs rampant in the world.  I sent a letter with
        the bad disk that explains my view on copy protection.  BTW - I copied
        the dead disk with Marauder II, and the copy WORKS.
Electronic Arts Deluxe Music Construction Set:
        Disk died.  I sent for an unprotected backup.  Cancelled check made
        it back to me before the disk did.  5 weeks after ordering I finally
        talked to someone that knows what is going on.  They were waiting for
        a newer version that had less bugs before they started shipping.  Well,
        they could have TOLD me.  Anyway, I'm supposed to call them in two
        weeks to check up on things.  Meanwhile, this pile of sheet music on
        my desk and my synth get moldy.
Marauder II:
        The program isn't copy protected, but it makes you type in something
        from the manual when it starts up.  That's OK, except you don't NEED
        the manual to use the program, I can never FIND my manual, AND I'M
        DAMN SICK AND TIRED OF LOOKING UP A STUPID WORD!!!  Perhaps
        QuickNibbleVN.N will remove this annoying behavior :-).
It's my policy now to never run from an original copy of anything.  I strongly
endorse pirating of all copy-protected software.  Perhaps when they realize
that copy protection doesn't stop it, they will change their asinine ways.
People need to be able to make backups.  Especially on an Amiga.
Sean
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
                ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET
#! rnews           1862
From: lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Reactions to IBM PC2 graphics
Date: 6 Apr 87 23:04:01 GMT

In article <610@puff.WISC.EDU> beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke) writes:
>#define FLAME ON
>
>In article <10726@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac)
>> Has anyone seen the specs on the $1700 2 drive Model 30 PC2 graphics card?
>>
>> This thing whips the Amy vid chip.  The VGA ("something" graphics adapter)
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  Your kidding right?  I really don't think something from IBM could
>  'whip' anything.
Actually when I wrote the original posting, I was sure of the IBM specs (I
don't think anyone is)  I was sort of hoping to get a reaction from the
crowd and find out if Amy was really threatened.
To day I know two more things about VGA:
        * the 256 colors out of 256k colors are only available on the
          320 X 200 resolution screen.
        * the 640 X 480 screen has 16 colors available.
          (no idea about interlace)
There are NO MODES in between.
We can all breath easy now...

--
                "Truth is false and logic lost..."
                                        - Neil Peart
From: beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Date: 6 Apr 87 19:44:39 GMT

#define FLAME ON
In article <10726@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) w
> Has anyone seen the specs on the $1700 2 drive Model 30 PC2 graphics card?
>
> This thing whips the Amy vid chip.  The VGA ("something" graphics adapter)
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Your kidding right?  I really don't think something from IBM could
  'whip' anything.
> has 256 on screen colors from a palette of 22k.  All from an IBM that retails
> for less then $2000.  What gives?  I don't understand.  I know it can't
> be as good as it seems (after all its IBM :-)
>
> One good note:  It's 8086 based running at 8 Mgtz.  Old technology, typical
>               IBM.
  Yes, it is a good note, IBM is keeping to it archaic technology, leaving
  the market open for other machines with newer architecture (anything
  made after 1980).
  In case you haven't noticed,  yes, I am bias.  I hate the IBM-PC
  (Intel Bowel Movement-Piece of Crap), and love the  Amiga.
  BTW, yes people will buy the new PC's (See above), but not because
  of they want to, but rather because of IBM's large software base,
  and narrow-minded business exec's that refuse to but anything else.
#define FLAME OFF
             -         -  - ---> Matt Beilke <--- -  -       -
!                                                                            !
!      //       ARPA: beilke@puff.wisc.edu                                   !
!     //        CSNET: beilke%puff.wisc.edu@csnet-relay                      !
! \\ // AMIGA   UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,topaz,etc.}!uwvax!puff!beilke !
!  \//  RULES!! SNAIL: 451 Witte B, Madison, WI, 53706, USA                  !
!                                                                            !
#! rnews           1288
From: grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st,comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: baited breath
Date: 7 Apr 87 03:58:47 GMT

In article <693@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>description you give, it is too soon to be baiting your breath.
Not to knock Neil (nor intentionally commmit a net offense), but...
        bated breath - is holding your breath
        baited breath - you need heavy duty mouthwash
Of course this creeps into the Amiga group from time to time also often
lending a degree of unintended humor to the posting involved...
--
George Robbins - now working for,       uucp: {ihnp4!seismo!rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
From: grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Some thoughts and questions about the Ranger
Date: 7 Apr 87 05:07:53 GMT

In article <155@kolob.UUCP> rorden@kolob.UUCP (Randy Rorden) writes:
>in article <1515@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
>> Right, no bridge card, not PC slot action.
>
>What about an alternative bridge card that just passes through the PC
>bus?  You would probably only need the I/O space on the PC side to be
>mapped into the Amiga side's address space.  Then you could get to all
>those cheap PC-bus cards to drop into your Amiga.  Sure, you still have
>to write drivers, etc., and figure out how to map the PC interrupts
>to the Amiga.  They could be concentrated into one interrupt and
>distinguished by reading a register on the bridge.  Has Commodore already
>thought of this one?
Yep, I'm hoping sombody will do this one for us.  Personally, I have no
interest in MS(yeech)DOS, but would love to be able to directly access
the PC bus cards without unwanted software/80xxx intercession.  I don't
think Commodore will do such a card, because of too much product confusion
between this and the "real" bridge cards.  It sounds like an excellent
third-party project, expecially if they work up drivers for the n-most
popular expansion cards - serial, disk, I/O, etc...
--- personal opinions here, folks ----
--
George Robbins - now working for,       uucp: {ihnp4!seismo!rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department       fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)
#! rnews           2069
From: grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: The Potential of the 2000
Date: 7 Apr 87 05:33:04 GMT

In article <3277@udenva.UUCP> pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) writes:

>I am not aware if any of the above possibilities are ready to be implemented
>in the near future or are under development. If the 68020/68881 card comes for
>less than $1000 then the Amiga 2000 could really have one-up on the MacIntosh
>II.
>
>Does anyone know what cards exactly are being developed for the 2000 ?
>Does anyone know where Commodore-Amiga is headed in the future as far as new
>products go, and maybe a bit of marketing (just possibly ?) ?
>Finally, what improvements do the new custom Amiga chips have ?
We're supposed to have a hard disk controller, a 2MB memory card and the
8088 bridge card available when the machine is released.  We've also talked
about an 8MB memory card, a 286 bridge card and a 68020/MMU card with no
specific dates mentioned.
The 68020 card will definitly work with AmigaDOS, much in the manner of
existing 68020 enhancements.  AmigaDOS already understands 68020's though
not MMU's.
The custom chips used in the A500 and A2000 just offer improved system
integration while retaining compatibility with the A1000 and "zorro"
expansion architecture.  We are working on some improved chips that will
offer straightforward extensions to the current capabilities.
--
George Robbins - now working for,       uucp: {ihnp4!seismo!rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department       fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)
#! rnews           3083
From: grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: AMIGA 2000 and IBM compatability
Date: 7 Apr 87 05:49:39 GMT

In article <1178@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> miner@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Richard M
>In article <3018@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> (Randy Spencer) writes:
> LAN for your Amiga.  Ameristar has anouced two products, >>In article <2845@ec
>>   [Asks Commodore what kind of card he can use with the A2000]
>>>5) IBM PCnetwork adapter
>>>6) IBM Token ring adapter
>>>7) 3M Ethernet card
>Please, this is the same narrow minded suggestion that came from Commodore
>when someone asked about networking A2000's during the release at the BCS
>meeting.  Try and have both a client and server process  running for one of
>these cards on the PC side of the A2000!
>
>Ameristar Technologies has two Amiga networking products. One is an
>ethernet board with telnet, ftp, TCP/IP, and best of all NFS (Net Work File
>System).  The board has been shown working as an NFS client and they claim
>that  a first release of the other software will be ready "real soon now".
>I have ordered two boards for our lab, an A2000 internal card and an A1000
>side mount version.  The board and software will support multiple login and
>remote communication shells.   Best of all I can make the 500 Meg drive on our
>Sun look like an Amiga hard disk.
Please forgive the Sales & Marketing types.  We are quite familiar with the
Ameristar boards.  The came down to demonstrate the side-mount and zorro
card versions several months ago.  We said "please make cards to fit the A2000".
The latest word is we'll have them in a week or two.
We also asked them to think more about peer networking, since not every
Amiga cluster owner is going to have a sun or other NFS host lying about.
After all, you can hang a pretty big disk off a SCSI controller if you
really want to...
>The other product Ameristar has is a non-standard, Amiga specific, cheaper,
>token ring network called ARC-Net.  This will allow multiple Amigas to share
>resources an communicate.   We are considering this one for the development
>systems at home.
Arc-Net is actually a well establised standard used by a number of hardware
vendors, including some of the PC products.  I'm not sure if it really has
any advantage over the "cheaper-net" implementations, but I do agree that
real ethernet could be too expensive for many applications.
--
George Robbins - now working for,       uucp: {ihnp4!seismo!rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
#! rnews           2246
From: grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.amiga,rec.audio,rec.music.synth
Subject: Re: Mac II D/A resolution
Date: 7 Apr 87 06:10:13 GMT

In article <585@plx.UUCP> ed@plx.UUCP (Ed Chaban) writes:
>I've heard conflicting reports about the MacII's D/A resolution.
>Would anyone at Apple care to set me straight?
>
>How can you say the Mac II  delivers CD audio quality with only
>8-bits of resolution?  Exponential D/A converters A'la Amiga?
>I  hope not...
>
>-ed-
Ed, old buddy, the Amiga D/A's are 8-bit *linear* with a 6-bit volume
control.  You can view this as floating point if you wish, but it's
quite different from the exponential converters used on some "noise
generator" class chips.
The Mac II can manage a 44KHz sample rate, but it can't handle the
14-16 bits normally considered as CD quality.
The Amiga is nominally limited 8 bits, with a 28.8 KHz, but by playing
games with the multiple channels and volume controls you can get another
bit or two and get some rather impressive dynamic range.  If you are
willing to dedicate the processor to sound generation you can directly
drive the sound channels to achieve >> 44KHz sampling rates.  (a little
snip-snip on the low-pass filter helps here).
Still, 16-bit resolution at 44KHz would be nice, but one has to comtemplate
the noise floor in the personal computer environment, especially when using
on-chip converters.
I haven't seen/heard the Mac-II yet, but I have seen Bob Hoover demonstrating
his Mimetics/Soundscape stuff.  Pretty nice...
--
George Robbins - now working for,       uucp: {ihnp4!seismo!rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department       fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)
#! rnews           1539
From: grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Power up LED dance
Date: 7 Apr 87 06:35:28 GMT

In article <538@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>Hi,
>       You know I've been wondering for a while what the boot-up
>blinking and the boo-di-didi-didi-didi-didi-doot from the speaker
>indicate.  Obviously, the sound indicates wheter or not you've got
>your audio cable put on correctly.
Basically, the blinky-LED and the screen background color tell the
initiate how far a sick machine gets before it craps out.  The
shift-lock LED on the keyboard also indicates keyboard problems.
The audio stuff is supposed to be the opening notes of some classical
theme, but since it's part of the boot ROM's, it dissapears when you
have kickstart in ROM.
Sorry for not posting the details, but I don't have them at hand and
will have to do so on another day.
--
George Robbins - now working for,       uucp: {ihnp4!seismo!rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department       fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)
#! rnews           2464
From: grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: The Next Amiga
Date: 7 Apr 87 06:53:57 GMT

In article <3367@udenva.UUCP> pbrody@udenva.UUCP (Paul Brody ) writes:

>It now appears that the A2000 will be the last new Amiga for a long time. This,
>in my view, is a very bad move. Apple has a 68020 Mac, and Atari is working on
>a 68020 or 68030 based computer for their line and Commodore needs to stay on
>top of the market. Granted the 2000 is expandable, but it has no improved
>graphics or sound and is no faster the original 1000. Commodore should be doing
>a lot more than they are now to make the AMIGA a success.
I'm not sure this is a reasonable assumption.  There's more to the computer
busisness that announcing new products.  There's a lot that's not visible on
the surface, including both new development and the minor problem of actually
manufacturing and marketing the products.
This year, we're going to introduce two new Amiga machines and a bunch of
expansion products and peripherals.  We are addressing 68020 performance
through an add-in card, rather than an exotic high-dollar MAC-II approach.
If people are willing to pay for this kind of performance, I won't take
long to put the 68020 down on the mainboard and christen it an A3000 or
whatever.
You all have a right to expect some kind of progress in the Amiga product
line, but before you expect magic, contemplate the overall rate of new
product introdutions from IBM or Apple.  The real performance jumps don't
come every 6 months, it's more like every 2 years...
BTW, Atari's been blowing smoke about 32-bit machines since before the 520ST
came out.  I'm sure they'll come out with something sooner or later, but right
now they're having problems just getting a product with a 16-bit blit chip to
market.
--
George Robbins - now working for,       uucp: {ihnp4!seismo!rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department       fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)
#! rnews           1621
From: grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Date: 7 Apr 87 07:05:06 GMT

In article <6248@ukmj.ukma.ms.uky.csnet> sean@ms.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) writes:
>If Commodore really wants to STICK IT to Apple and IBM, they should develop a
>68030 machine, not 68020.  Put a 64K cache on it and let it scream.  I don't
>care if the graphics are better.  Unix at 6-8 MIPS would sell a lot of Amigas.
It's remarkably hard to develop a machine based on a "paper" chip and not a
very bright idea to hang your future on it.  People waited a long time for
the 68020, longer for it's MMU and are still waiting for advent of second
sourcing and reasonable prices.  Maybe Motorola pull a neat trick a deliver
on time, but for now the best bet is to take the 68020 and put it to good use.
BTW, do you have any ideal how long overdue the Zilog Z80,000 32 bit processor
and Z8070 16/32 bit FPU are now?  "Real Soon Now" -> years**2
--
George Robbins - now working for,       uucp: {ihnp4!seismo!rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department       fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)
#! rnews           3657
From: Charles_E._Thomka.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: 1Meg Squeeze-Ram
Date: 6 Apr 87 20:21:02 GMT
Sender: daemon@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU

From: Thomka.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM
OK, this past Thursday I got my Squeeze-Ram from Aminetics.  It is
presently being sent out as a kit.  The kit contains a blank,
silk-screened board, 38 chip sockets, capacitors, resistors, header and
socket strips.  Except for having to cut the header and socket strips
into proper lengths it all went together with no problems. (I don't like
the idea of having the option of cutting or distroying those strips to
their various lengths.)
Took my time in assembling the board, which was about three hours.  In
trying to install the board between the motherboard and WCS RAM board, I
found that it can be a bit of a bother to get all the mating (100+) pins
just right, but as long as you are careful it will finally fit.  I found
that using a contact lubricant (like Cramolin) will aid in getting the
pins to fit.
So, the time now came to install the board and turn it on.  Stand back!
. . .
A couple of color changes and finally it stays at yellow!!?
Oh, my gosh! it didn't work!  Well, let's take this out and see what we
can see.  You know ... as many times as I looked over this board and was
careful about putting the thirty-two (41464) memory chips in, I don't
remember seeing this one in backwards before.  GDI!  a memory chip that
has just got to be smoked!  Oh well, I can switch the jumper to the 512k
position and just use half until I can buy another chip.  I might as
well properly install the chip and turn it on to see just what a bad
memory chip symptoms are.  Power on.  IT WORKS!?!
Well, if that don't beat all.
So now I can tell you that it is a real nice feeling to see in excess of
1.5M displayed up on the available memory line.
Why is it in excess of 1.5M?  I also have the CMI KickStart Eliminator
installed (puts KickStart in ROM) which then frees up the otherwise
unavailable 256k of WCS RAM for your own use.  So after the workbench is
up and running, and even after having a second drive installed I still
see over 1700000 in the memory display.  (If you figure it out 1.75M =
1835008 bytes.)
[I was curious to see how many Demo boxes I can get running at once.
Got 3 "Lines" and 1 "Spots" (both require "Chip Memory", "Lines requires
126k of chip memory!)  14 "Boxes" and over 44 "Dots" going, and then I
got tired of opening more things.  And then I still had over 600k left!
Not a realistice test, I was just playing.  But it is interesting to see
over sixty things happening on the screen at once, and it wasn't all
that slow either.  The only really noticible thing was that in it took a
few seconds to get mouse response back between opening a new object and
then moving and resizing the new window.]
The Squeeze-Ram is automatically recognized by Workbenck 1.2, OR if you
are still using 1.1 (why?) you'll have to put in this one line in your
StartUp-Sequence:
    AddMem 0c00000 0cfffff
So, if you're interested in purchasing a Squeeze-Ram board yourself,
call or write:
  Aminetics
  P.O. Box 982-205
  Whittier, CA;  90608
  (213) 698-6170
The board, a disk that has a couple of utilities, and all components
except the memory chips sell for $119.95.  You can install either 16 or
32 memory chips, which would be 0.5 or 1M, respectively.
        Chuck
#! rnews           1902
From: beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Menu bug
Date: 6 Apr 87 19:29:14 GMT

      I have experienced a 'bug' in the way the Amiga handles large menus.
      Now that there are a reasonable amount of fonts available, I thought I
would play with them, so I put them all in fonts:, then I brought up
DPaint II, to look at them.  However, in XXX by 200 mode the menu is longer
than the screen, and Amy doesn't like it (I am visted by my friend the
Guru).  My question is: (1) Does DPaint II have a design flaw in that it
did not anticipate large menus, or (2) is there something inherently wrong
with intuition?  If the answer is (1) I can live with just not having a
lot of fonts in fonts:, but if the answer is (2), are there any plans to
fix the problem?  Please, are you listening C/A?  Take a look at how the
Mac solves the problem.
      Thanks in advance,

             -         -  - ---> Matt Beilke <--- -  -       -
!                                                                            !
!      //       ARPA: beilke@puff.wisc.edu                                   !
!     //        CSNET: beilke%puff.wisc.edu@csnet-relay                      !
! \\ // AMIGA   UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,topaz,etc.}!uwvax!puff!beilke !
!  \//  RULES!! SNAIL: 451 Witte B, Madison, WI, 53706, USA                  !
!                                                                            !
#! rnews           1450
From: kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Date: 7 Apr 87 02:24:14 GMT

In article <3771@j.cc.purdue.edu>, doc@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP writes:
>               I am also going to be asking alot of the people who posted
> sources to comp.sys.amiga if they would like me to repost their software
> to comp.sources.amiga.
Seems like this would be a big waste of net bandwidth.  Most everything
posted here end up on a Fish Disk in fairly short order, and is widely
available to those who missed the original posting.
Remember, we need to try and eliminate duplicated postings, not intentionally
create them.
/kim
--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim
From: jerem@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Jere Marrs)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Date: 6 Apr 87 17:48:21 GMT

                [A sacrificial token.....]
        I don't know what great internal significance the blinkey-boot-up
has, but it does mean *something*.
        The instructions that come with the Turbo-Amiga (CSA) say that
the blinkey-boot-up light should flash at a rate about half that of a
standard Amiga to indicate that the 68020 has assumed total control of
the Amiga's metabolism.
        Why a digital (beneficial) virus such as the 68020 should cause the
light to blink at half the rate escapes me, but......it KNOWS.
                                        -Jere
#! rnews 1777
From: CSNEWS@MAINE.BITNET (CSNEWS CSBB Processor)
Newsgroups: Comp.Sys.Amiga
Subject: Posting of CSNEWS 'AMIGA' discussion, entry #179.
Date: 07-Apr-87 10:36 EDT

        * OMNICOM 1 IS UP AND RUNNING AS OF APRIL 1ST, 1987. *
        * THEIR NUMBER IS (215) 896-9020.                    *

                        >> OMNICOM 1 <<
                         NETWORK SYSTEM
                         ---------------

                        OMNICOM 1 Network

                   Commodore C64, C128, Amiga !!!
                 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                         * 8 PHONE LINES *
                         - - - - - - - - -

             - Download Thousands of Software Programs -
                 - Chat with Other Callers Online -
                 - Compete in Multi-Player Games -
              - Send & Read Public & Private Messages -
              - Buy & Sell in the Online Classifieds -
          - Post Public Information in the Bulletin Board -
                  - Online Amiga Publication -
                         - MORE ... -

#! rnews 3890
From: CSNEWS@MAINE.BITNET (CSNEWS CSBB Processor)
Newsgroups: Comp.Sys.Amiga
Subject: Posting of CSNEWS 'AMIGA' discussion, entry #180.
Date: 07-Apr-87 14:00 EDT

  Robb,
    In ref to your quote:

>...is there a brave soul out there that would be willing
>to take a peek at it?? In a week, I will have the rest of
>the code finished, It wont be world class, or even well
>written ( I just learned 'C'), but it will be free for
>the asking....

    As far as that goes, I am as "brave" as any other wage
slave.  I would dearly _love_ to take a peek at your code.
    However, before I place my life, love, pride, ego, and
reputation (ha) on the line, I would like to know what variant
of C you are writing in.  Il est, Lattice C, Manx C, Generic C,
Green Hills C, etc etc ad infinitum nauseam?
    If you are doing native development, I probably can dig up
the requisite compiler.  If you're doing cross-dev on, say, a
Sun or Apollo, I'll have to start saving my pennies.
    The upshot of all this nonsense is that if you put the code
somewhere I can find it, I'll find it.  And look at it.  Really.

                                   Mitch

Surgeon General's Warning
-------------------------
reading this note may be
hazardous to your sense
of reality.
#! rnews 7644
From: CSNEWS@MAINE.BITNET (CSNEWS CSBB Processor)
Newsgroups: Comp.Sys.Amiga
Subject: Posting of CSNEWS 'AMIGA' discussion, entry #181.
Date: 07-Apr-87 21:50 EDT

Okay....I got my code online which I will E-Mail to you  Mitch, some
interesting problems I am having is that changing the order of linking
between the two supplemental files makes a big difference in wether or not
the program will even run, or wether the dice show up on the screen correctly
and how quickly the whole thing dies.

Also rebooting the machine after linking seems  to help matters sometimes...
This isn't very rational, but happens anyway.   Is there a real reason
to why the link order makes a difference? I'm using a 512K machine with
manx 3.20a 'C'.

thanks..
-Robb